Grace Under Pressure 40th boxed set?

caskof43

Just now, ytserush said:

Then you're in a position to ask if those things are in the vault from someone who would know. and you'll have your definitive answers.

I'm not in a position to get any such answers. Again, I'm just a dumb fan. He let me know he was back at Anthem/OLE. He's not going to risk his job and leak me insider info. Haha. I just thought you'd all be happy to know that IF any more Super Deluxes come out, at least Andy is there to be the fans' advocate. Hopefully, they won't repeat the Signals debacle under his watchful eye.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, thizzellewashington said:

I must have missed this at the time (or it wasn't publicized) but there's a little note in the last chapter of Geddy's book that after the final tour, the three of them did one of those deals to cash out and sell their publishing to one of those companies that buys artists' catalogs. So I don't know how much control Geddy and Alex would even have over archival releases at this point.

From what I've heard, Anthem/OLE controls everything with the back catalog but whether there's a gentleman's agreement or it's written, supposedly Geddy, Alex and Carrie get consulted. Previously, Geddy has said that Alex is more interested in the archival stuff than he is, so maybe he gives more input? Who really knows?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Holdyourfireal said:

Ummm...we got live material we were told was never going to happen because of sync issues: the Test For Echo Tour footage on the R40 box set.

That's because the footage was a lot more recent and probably well protected. (Technological advancement likely helped there too.) It's not even the whole show. Besides what does this have to do with the one unsupported quote in question?

If you want to believe there's a 4K transfer of the full show from Exit...Stage Left, Grace Under Pressure and A Show Of Hands that's great, but I'm going to need a lot more evidence than is currently available.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, ytserush said:

That's because the footage was a lot more recent and probably well protected. (Technological advancement likely helped there too.) It's not even the whole show. Besides what does this have to do with the one unsupported quote in question?

If you want to believe there's a 4K transfer of the full show from Exit...Stage Left, Grace Under Pressure and A Show Of Hands that's great, but I'm going to need a lot more evidence than is currently available.

Yeah, at least with the 1997 footage it was referred to by the band multiple times over the years, with the caveat that it had audio problems. But at least we knew it existed and was intended for release (Heck, parts of it were even in the live Closer to the Heart video from Different Stages).

Just one example:

"...we have other things in the vault as well, such as a concert that we recorded on the Test For Echo tour, with which we weren't satisfied at the time, but that's been replaced by its historical value." - Geddy Lee, Aardschok Magazine, March 2006

I have never seen or heard anyone in connection with the band outside of that old Maher article ever even reference the possibility we could ever see more 80s footage, but of course that doesn't mean it's not possible. I'm just pessimistic. Like I mentioned, between the (assumed) GUP box set and the opportunity to release 50th anniversary products we should know one way or the other within a year.

I'm also shocked that I have never heard anyone in the band since about 1980 get asked about the 1979 Hammersmith Odeon concert film. How is that possible?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Holdyourfireal said:

Ummm...we got live material we were told was never going to happen because of sync issues: the Test For Echo Tour footage on the R40 box set.

There's a big difference between stuff that exists but needs to be fixed, and stuff that just doesn't exist. No one here has any idea if the complete footage still exists, regardless of what one fake article from 2005 says.

• Like 1

To all that think the 2005 article about the recovery of the lost GUP footage is BS, here's a response from the author:

"Since I was on the phone with Pierre Lamoureux for 90 minutes I should know it's true and not only did Fogo use the interview and article in press releases from Zoe Records and over 700 news wires at the time but it helped draw traffic to their other releases. If it wasn't real I would have been fired and they would have issued a statement from Fogo and Anthem SRO that it wasn't real.
It's hysterical to me that this is still being debated. Businesses and artists and labels change their mind on things constantly. As a matter of fact Pierre himself even said in the article and quote the final decisions are left with the band.
Pegi one day in a long phoner I did with her said if we release the unreleased stuff now (this particular conversation with her took place around 2006-07) we might as well close shop because there's not a ton of rare video on hand as it is. Audio was and is a totally different story.
The band never did any forward thinking. Ever. They put the money for budgets for filming into the show. They threw what they didn't use for Exit Stage Left in the dumpster. Mercury/Polygram didn't do promo videos for Permanent Waves although the band was getting huge because they did videos for A Farewell To Kings and Hemispheres and it didn't help or really see airplay anywhere. The band had the decision to invest in their own show or film promos on their own dime. They were told City TV was dumping all of their tapes in the 2000s and to get down there because there was a TON filmed by them over the decades.
You know who they sent?
Nobody.
So yes, Pierre said they had the missing Grace footage but were still looking for who had the ASOH. Grant Lough lives in Boca Raton. I spoke to him at great length about Exit and the Signals video shoots. He said the concert was cut for television only. Not with any future technology in mind and that if anyone had any of the footage it was either stolen or went to some storage facility but his memory was that it went to the cutting room floor and tossed.
Trust me. I wish MANY shows were released. The Counterparts show, the RTB shows from Auburn Hills, the one that Atlantic recorded while also shooting a Mr. Big video.in Irvine. They totally forgot they had the 3-D film they show at the Molson Amphitheatre for Snakes and Arrows in July 2008. A lot of this stuff the labels or the management didn't want to spend the money doing anything with it. So when they sold to Ole/Anthem it all went into their hands.
The Signals box set didn't even make the Top 200 albums chart on Billboard. It was so outrageously over-priced. Every box set before it sold well. Budgets budgets budgets. The fan base isn't getting younger. It's infuriating that Anthem hasn't brought in a team of historians to do their archives correctly."

Thank you for providing all that, it’s so incredibly frustrating to think about stuff being thrown away or simply rotting away through neglect.

It’s kind of a catch 22 I guess as far as sales. Hardcore collectors like me will buy any box set even when they’re underwhelming but I know I’m in the small minority. Most people want more content before they’ll buy. I still think there are enough hardcore Rush fans to make box sets worth the time to produce them if they’ll fill them up with more content. If they don’t, well then yeah, they won’t sell.

• Like 1

And I still have no idea what this was supposed to mean from the original article:

“But down the road when Blue-Ray technology becomes more popular and we are able to extend things out to levels beyond where we are at currently...we can then go back and release the found footage that was not on the original release."

The idea that somehow DVD tech was not sufficient to add another 40 minutes of videotape footage is just weird. But hey, whatever it takes just get it all out. I want those later shows too, there are at least two RTB tour shows filmed as referenced above (I didn’t know about the Irvine Meadows one until I read the big touring book). They were on fire late in that tour. I saw them about 45 times, twice on the RTB tour, and it’s the only tour I ever saw where I had front row seats, for the Austin show. 

Also meant to add, I remember the talk about the 3D footage at the time and I remembered it when I was brainstorming recently about what additional footage there might be, but your post above is the first time I’ve seen anyone mention it since then. 

Edited by snowdog2112
  • Like 1

Hey, it's all about the "live material" 

I've purchased the "A Farewell to Kings" deluxe box set because of the "live material" (complete show)

Also the "Moving Pictures" Deluxe box set with "live material" (complete set list, probably of all three show in Toronto '81)

Other than that NO! "Just the CD sets"

Hemispheres live show was a joke!!

Permanent Waves could have been great!! NO!! They omitted "2112 and the Encore's Medley and La Villa" Why?? It would have been 3 cd's instead of 2!! Big deal!! 

"Signals" we won't discuss, an absolute calamity to say the least!! 

So that leaves us with P/G, hope it's a good one!!

Edited by malm_51

6 minutes ago, malm_51 said:

Hey, it's all about the "live material" 

I've purchased the "A Farewell to Kings" deluxe box set because of the "live material" (complete show)

Also the "Moving Pictures" Deluxe box set with "live material" (complete set list, probably of all three show in Toronto '81)

Other than that NO! "Just the CD sets"

Hemispheres live show was a joke!!

Permanent Waves could have been great!! NO!! They omitted "2112 and the Encore's Medley and La Villa" Why?? It would have been 3 cd's instead of 2!! Big deal!! 

"Signals" we won't discuss, a total calamity to say the least!! 

So that leaves us with P/G, hope it's a good one!!

The bizarre thing about the Permanent Waves live set is that La Villa from the St. Louis show is an absolute monster of a performance, far and away my favourite recording of that song.  The bass from the Taurus pedals in the middle section is absolutely thunderous, it's my go-to demo track for speakers and subwoofers.  The fact that they left it off is just bizarre.

It speaks volumes that I own nine different copies of Permanent Waves (six on vinyl, three on CD) and the box set isn't one of them.  I do, however, have the Moving Pictures box set, and of course I skipped Signals.

Anthem really need to get their shit together with these things.  No more stupid backstage passes and toy cars, give us MUSIC.  That's what we're all here for in the first place.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Rush Didact said:

Anthem really need to get their shit together with these things.  No more stupid backstage passes and toy cars, give us MUSIC.  That's what we're all here for in the first place.

f***ing amen to that. 

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, Rush Didact said:

La Villa from the St. Louis show is an absolute monster of a performance, far and away my favourite recording of that song.  The bass from the Taurus pedals in the middle section is absolutely thunderous, it's my go-to demo track for speakers and subwoofers.

Rivaled only by LVS from pink pop.  Which itself is subsonic taurus heaven.

• Like 1

On 11/29/2023 at 1:52 AM, Holdyourfireal said:

To all that think the 2005 article about the recovery of the lost GUP footage is BS, here's a response from the author:

"Since I was on the phone with Pierre Lamoureux for 90 minutes I should know it's true and not only did Fogo use the interview and article in press releases from Zoe Records and over 700 news wires at the time but it helped draw traffic to their other releases. If it wasn't real I would have been fired and they would have issued a statement from Fogo and Anthem SRO that it wasn't real.
It's hysterical to me that this is still being debated. Businesses and artists and labels change their mind on things constantly. As a matter of fact Pierre himself even said in the article and quote the final decisions are left with the band.
Pegi one day in a long phoner I did with her said if we release the unreleased stuff now (this particular conversation with her took place around 2006-07) we might as well close shop because there's not a ton of rare video on hand as it is. Audio was and is a totally different story.
The band never did any forward thinking. Ever. They put the money for budgets for filming into the show. They threw what they didn't use for Exit Stage Left in the dumpster. Mercury/Polygram didn't do promo videos for Permanent Waves although the band was getting huge because they did videos for A Farewell To Kings and Hemispheres and it didn't help or really see airplay anywhere. The band had the decision to invest in their own show or film promos on their own dime. They were told City TV was dumping all of their tapes in the 2000s and to get down there because there was a TON filmed by them over the decades.
You know who they sent?
Nobody.
So yes, Pierre said they had the missing Grace footage but were still looking for who had the ASOH. Grant Lough lives in Boca Raton. I spoke to him at great length about Exit and the Signals video shoots. He said the concert was cut for television only. Not with any future technology in mind and that if anyone had any of the footage it was either stolen or went to some storage facility but his memory was that it went to the cutting room floor and tossed.
Trust me. I wish MANY shows were released. The Counterparts show, the RTB shows from Auburn Hills, the one that Atlantic recorded while also shooting a Mr. Big video.in Irvine. They totally forgot they had the 3-D film they show at the Molson Amphitheatre for Snakes and Arrows in July 2008. A lot of this stuff the labels or the management didn't want to spend the money doing anything with it. So when they sold to Ole/Anthem it all went into their hands.
The Signals box set didn't even make the Top 200 albums chart on Billboard. It was so outrageously over-priced. Every box set before it sold well. Budgets budgets budgets. The fan base isn't getting younger. It's infuriating that Anthem hasn't brought in a team of historians to do their archives correctly."

First of all I would expect such a denial. (I've only ever had an issue with that one quote not the entire article.Unless you are reading carefully it's easy to miss.) Just because that article was replicated hundreds or even thousands of times on various platforms does not mean it is not a single-sourced article that has not been supported in nearly 20 years. There has never been any independent verification from anyone.

Except for the first two paragraphs, the rest of the argument undercuts that specific quote and supports what many of us have been saying for the last 20 or 30 years. While it's certainly  possible that there may be this footage how much care was taken to preserve it and is it even usable?

20 hours ago, ytserush said:

First of all I would expect such a denial. (I've only ever had an issue with that one quote not the entire article.Unless you are reading carefully it's easy to miss.) Just because that article was replicated hundreds or even thousands of times on various platforms does not mean it is not a single-sourced article that has not been supported in nearly 20 years. There has never been any independent verification from anyone.

Except for the first two paragraphs, the rest of the argument undercuts that specific quote and supports what many of us have been saying for the last 20 or 30 years. While it's certainly  possible that there may be this footage how much care was taken to preserve it and is it even usable?

The FOGO guys sure make it sound like it's something special.

2 hours ago, Holdyourfireal said:

The FOGO guys sure make it sound like it's something special.

We obviously all hope you're right, I'm just trying to keep my expectations low. As I've said, we'll know one way or another soon, within a year. If it exists and will ever be released then between the GUP 40th anniversary and the band's 50th anniversary there's no other reasonable opportunity, if it's not this next year then I think that will settle it.

On 12/2/2023 at 10:08 PM, snowdog2112 said:

We obviously all hope you're right, I'm just trying to keep my expectations low. As I've said, we'll know one way or another soon, within a year. If it exists and will ever be released then between the GUP 40th anniversary and the band's 50th anniversary there's no other reasonable opportunity, if it's not this next year then I think that will settle it.

My expectations are as high as they can get. If we don't get an audio CD of the full GUP show and a blu-ray which includes the found footage, I will be beyond crushed. I suppose most of the Terry Brown era fans will never get this but the GUP era is MY Rush and this is my grail.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Holdyourfireal said:

My expectations are as high as they can get. If we don't get an audio CD of the full GUP show and a blu-ray which includes the found footage, I will be beyond crushed. I suppose most of the Terry Brown era fans will never get this but the GUP era is MY Rush and this is my grail.

I get it, 1984 is when I got seriously into the band. I guess we’ll find out soon. 

• Like 1

On 12/6/2023 at 2:33 PM, Holdyourfireal said:

Yeah - they sounded terrific live at that time, and Alex was composing his best, most melodic solos.

• Like 1

On 12/6/2023 at 2:33 PM, Holdyourfireal said:

All that I can do is wish you well...