Grace Under Pressure 40th boxed set?

caskof43

3 hours ago, Digital82 said:

No.

In one of the Signals 40th Anniversary threads, you claimed that Andy Curran was still working for Anthem/OLE. This is not true and now you're stating "there is another" ala Return of the Jedi. Sorry, but this kinda makes me doubt anything you say.

However, I will say to the Grace fans, someone has shared something secret with me and it does look like a GUP Super Deluxe is definitely happening. Will it include a Blu-Ray of the full GUP video concert with restored footage and a CD of the full show? That is unknown so far.

I'm late to the game here and there are too many comments on the thread to quote them all. Suffice it to say I agree more than wholeheartedly about an alternate live show, more specifically, one with the previous playlist that included the drum solo in the "Red Lenses" break. But a video version of the same is probably too much to hope for, isn't it?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ged Lent's sis said:

I'm late to the game here and there are too many comments on the thread to quote them all. Suffice it to say I agree more than wholeheartedly about an alternate live show, more specifically, one with the previous playlist that included the drum solo in the "Red Lenses" break. But a video version of the same is probably too much to hope for, isn't it?

This one DOES have the Red Lenses/Drum Solo if we are to believe the 2005 interview that the Grace footage was found.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, caskof43 said:

I'm optimistic that we will see robust GUP 40th AND Rush 50th next year...Geddy and Alex are still vital and eager to put themselves out there.

They are putting themselves out there. Alex was just shredding with Tool, working on Envy Of None and who knows what else and Geddy is on his book tour and released to new songs.. They're moving forward not back.

14 hours ago, Holdyourfireal said:

In one of the Signals 40th Anniversary threads, you claimed that Andy Curran was still working for Anthem/OLE. This is not true and now you're stating "there is another" ala Return of the Jedi. Sorry, but this kinda makes me doubt anything you say.

However, I will say to the Grace fans, someone has shared something secret with me and it does look like a GUP Super Deluxe is definitely happening. Will it include a Blu-Ray of the full GUP video concert with restored footage and a CD of the full show? That is unknown so far.

*you* are incorrect.  Andy *does* work for anthem

14 hours ago, Holdyourfireal said:

Start at 1:24:49

Thanks for posting this. It's very interesting.  Though the mention they cataloged the vault there is no specific mention of any live material in this conversation. There's evidence that there is a vault but no evidence of what's in there aside from work in progress demos which kind of dispel the myth that there are no demos.

1 hour ago, ytserush said:

Did he leave at one point?  Is it incorrect to say that he has not been credited on recent reissues?

“The band's bassist/vocalist Andy Curran spent several years working at Rush's Anthem record label after Coney Hatch called it quits. In more recent years he moved on to Ole Music, a publishing house that took over the Anthem back catalog, including everything by Rush. He ended his tenure there last year and is now out on his own as a music industry gun-for-hire. “

https://www.rushisaband.com/blog/2020/10/02/5503/Coney-Hatch-front-man-and-former-Anthem-AR-rep-Andy-Curran-talks-Rush-in-new-interview

This is from the Rush blog in 2020. He’s evidently still gone unless he came back and no one was told. 

Edited by snowdog2112
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, ytserush said:

They are putting themselves out there. Alex was just shredding with Tool, working on Envy Of None and who knows what else and Geddy is on his book tour and released to new songs.. They're moving forward not back.

Geddy & Alex may be moving forward but Anthem/OLE control the back catalog and want to squeeze every penny out of their investment.

3 hours ago, ytserush said:

Thanks for posting this. It's very interesting.  Though the mention they cataloged the vault there is no specific mention of any live material in this conversation. There's evidence that there is a vault but no evidence of what's in there aside from work in progress demos which kind of dispel the myth that there are no demos.

Here ya go: https://bravewords.com/news/rush-producer-director-talks-about-upcoming-dvds

Though, beware. Many in RUSH fandom hate the author of this article for whatever reason. Be that as it may, everything he has ever told me has absolutely come true. Hey, I don't like the author's politics but I do enjoy when he contributes info like this article.

PS: Listening to the Geddy audiobook and just got through a chapter where he discusses when they started doing "proper" demos which was Power Windows. Those, most of us have heard on bootlegs and or YouTube (see below).

PSS: I don't think the Tom Sawyer stuff they were discussing in that interview above were "demos" but more works in progress on tape.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ytserush said:

Did he leave at one point?  Is it incorrect to say that he has not been credited on recent reissues?

Yes, he did indeed leave after the Permanent Waves Super Deluxe. I've seen that in print and he has told me that himself. No hard feelings or anything. He just had other projects to which he wanted to devote his time. I do not believe he is credited on the Moving Pictures Super Deluxe and I didn't buy the concertless Signals Super Deluxe so I don't know about that one. I just know he told me he did not work on that one.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Digital82 said:

*you* are incorrect.  Andy *does* work for anthem

My sincerest apologies. I just found out you're telling the truth. Sorry, so many misleading bullshitters over the years leaves one wary. Please accept my groveling apology.

The news that Andy is back at Anthem/OLE is the greatest Christmas gift for which I could ask! Now, hope springs eternal that the footage FOGO Labs found back in the early 2000s will FINALLY see the light of day. A Neil Grace Under Pressure drum solo with Red Lenses!!! HOLY S!!!! What a gift!!! So very very happy!!!!

• Like 2

On 11/22/2023 at 10:17 AM, Rush Didact said:

The problem is that there's no one on the inside with a fan-like enthusiasm, the only logic is maximum revenue for minimum input.  Rush is purely a business now; Neil's gone and Ged and Al have no interest in dealing with archival stuff.

They could remaster ESL and ASOH from the original negatives and do kickass bluray releases of the entire concerts, but they won't do that because it's expensive and time-consuming, and their profit margins will be slimmer than just re-releasing the ancient video transfers.

They could release the 1997 Toronto concert, synchronization issues are easily fixed in this day and age and the video could be upscaled nicely, but they won't do it because they'd have to pay someone to fix it.

Instead we get box sets with toy cars and backstage passes that are cheap to manufacture and take virtually no effort from anyone.

Keep your expectations low and you won't be disappointed...

1. We have Andy Curran on the inside again. Every fan of this era should rejoice!

2. Don't worry about ancient video transfers. FOGO Labs already did the heavy lifting circa 2005: https://bravewords.com/news/rush-producer-director-talks-about-upcoming-dvds

The only worries are will the label use the found Grace footage and audio? Is that too expensive to consider or is what FOGO did good enough? Did the extra footage of Exit...Stage Left get tossed as long rumored? Was the A Show of Hands footage ever found?

3. The 1997 Toronto concert has been released! See https://superdeluxeedition.com/news/rush-r40-six-disc-blu-ray-live-set/

1 hour ago, Holdyourfireal said:

1. We have Andy Curran on the inside again. Every fan of this era should rejoice!

2. Don't worry about ancient video transfers. FOGO Labs already did the heavy lifting circa 2005: https://bravewords.com/news/rush-producer-director-talks-about-upcoming-dvds

The only worries are will the label use the found Grace footage and audio? Is that too expensive to consider or is what FOGO did good enough? Did the extra footage of Exit...Stage Left get tossed as long rumored? Was the A Show of Hands footage ever found?

3. The 1997 Toronto concert has been released! See https://superdeluxeedition.com/news/rush-r40-six-disc-blu-ray-live-set/

That entire interview is bullshit. I know it's bullshit because they DID just use the 1980s video transfers for the DVD releases. They weren't remastered, and there was no extra footage from p/g.

The 1997 concert also has only had a couple songs released from it, not the entire thing.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Rush Didact said:

That entire interview is bullshit. I know it's bullshit because they DID just use the 1980s video transfers for the DVD releases. They weren't remastered, and there was no extra footage from p/g.

The 1997 concert also has only had a couple songs released from it, not the entire thing.

Yeah, I agree with you. I hope so much to be proven wrong (and I guess we'll find out within a year or maybe just a few months) about GUP footage. I don't think we'll ever see any more of those three 80s shows. I will happily call myself an idiot if I'm wrong.

To be fair though, they released just about exactly half the 1997 show, just about an hour and a half. I was wanting that so badly for years and I hope we'll get the rest someday. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, snowdog2112 said:

“The band's bassist/vocalist Andy Curran spent several years working at Rush's Anthem record label after Coney Hatch called it quits. In more recent years he moved on to Ole Music, a publishing house that took over the Anthem back catalog, including everything by Rush. He ended his tenure there last year and is now out on his own as a music industry gun-for-hire. “

https://www.rushisaband.com/blog/2020/10/02/5503/Coney-Hatch-front-man-and-former-Anthem-AR-rep-Andy-Curran-talks-Rush-in-new-interview

This is from the Rush blog in 2020. He’s evidently still gone unless he came back and no one was told. 

One of at least several other accounts that he said he left though to be fair he seems to been pretty quiet lately. Not heard from a credible source that he went back but I suppose it's possible.

I must have missed this at the time (or it wasn't publicized) but there's a little note in the last chapter of Geddy's book that after the final tour, the three of them did one of those deals to cash out and sell their publishing to one of those companies that buys artists' catalogs. So I don't know how much control Geddy and Alex would even have over archival releases at this point.

18 hours ago, Holdyourfireal said:

Yes, he did indeed leave after the Permanent Waves Super Deluxe. I've seen that in print and he has told me that himself. No hard feelings or anything. He just had other projects to which he wanted to devote his time. I do not believe he is credited on the Moving Pictures Super Deluxe and I didn't buy the concertless Signals Super Deluxe so I don't know about that one. I just know he told me he did not work on that one.

There are at least several interviews where he said that he left (But never mentioned it was more of a hiatus.) Haven't seen an account that he returned but that doesn't mean that he didn't.

If he told you that maybe he'll tell you what is still usable in the vault since he's in the position to know what is and isn't there that has not deteriorated.

Edited by ytserush
additional thought

18 hours ago, Holdyourfireal said:

Here ya go: https://bravewords.com/news/rush-producer-director-talks-about-upcoming-dvds

Though, beware. Many in RUSH fandom hate the author of this article for whatever reason. Be that as it may, everything he has ever told me has absolutely come true. Hey, I don't like the author's politics but I do enjoy when he contributes info like this article.

PS: Listening to the Geddy audiobook and just got through a chapter where he discusses when they started doing "proper" demos which was Power Windows. Those, most of us have heard on bootlegs and or YouTube (see below).

PSS: I don't think the Tom Sawyer stuff they were discussing in that interview above were "demos" but more works in progress on tape.

At least that specific quote in that article is fake. Doesn't matter who wrote it. There is also NO supporting evidence in nearly 20 years that has come out about this claim from ANYONE. The video posted recently that the Rush stuff that has been cataloged does not even mention anything about any live material.

I'd love to have "works in progress" material but I'm sure Geddy refuses to have it see the light of day. After just reading about his dismissive attitude on the first single it seems very unlikely there will be an official release of that either.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ytserush said:

One of at least several other accounts that he said he left though to be fair he seems to been pretty quiet lately. Not heard from a credible source that he went back but I suppose it's possible.

Spoke to him last night. He's back! He didn't give me any info on Grace which is understandable but...he IS back!

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, ytserush said:

There are at least several interviews where he said that he left (But never mentioned it was more of a hiatus.) Haven't seen an account that he returned but that doesn't mean that he didn't.

If he told you that maybe he'll tell you what is still usable in the vault since he's in the position to know what is and isn't there that has not deteriorated.

I'm just a dumb fan. He's not going to share that type of info with me. I wish! Haha. I'm just glad he's back. Gives me a lot of hope GUP gets done right: Blu-Ray of the ENTIRE show and an audio CD! Again, he did not confirm any contents or if it's happening but I feel a lot more hope with Andy there.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Holdyourfireal said:

Spoke to him last night. He's back! He didn't give me any info on Grace which is understandable but...he IS back!

Then you're in a position to ask if those things are in the vault from someone who would know. and you'll have your definitive answers.

23 minutes ago, ytserush said:

At least that specific quote in that article is fake. Doesn't matter who wrote it. There is also NO supporting evidence in nearly 20 years that has come out about this claim from ANYONE. The video posted recently that the Rush stuff that has been cataloged does not even mention anything about any live material.

I'd love to have "works in progress" material but I'm sure Geddy refuses to have it see the light of day. After just reading about his dismissive attitude on the first single it seems very unlikely there will be an official release of that either.

Ummm...we got live material we were told was never going to happen because of sync issues: the Test For Echo Tour footage on the R40 box set.