CCR and Jethro Tull battle  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Two classic albums: Cosmo's Factory vs. Aqualung

• CCR - Cosmo's Factory
    • Jethro Tull - Aqualung
  2. 2. Two bands: CCR vs. Jethro Tull

• Creedence Clearwater Revival
    • Jethro Tull
  3. 3. Two iconic songs: Run Through the Jungle vs. Locomotive Breath?

• CCR - Run Through the Jungle
    • Jethro Tull - Locomotive Breath

Depending on which albums, this might have gone differently, but Aqualung is a masterpiece, and possibly one of the very best albums from its year, so it gets the nod.

Having said that, there are some songs I'd have picked ahead of "Locomotive Breath," but "Run Through the Jungle" has never been one of my CCR favorites, so that one is easy, too.

Tull is definitely a top ten band for me.

• Like 1

None of these are unfair fights, but the appeal for each is pretty different from the other. I think CCR are practically un-hatable, and Tull are very much an acquired taste, but having acquired that taste, JT just does a lot more for me. 

• Like 3

I actually really like them both, you can't tell by my votes because CCR came out a little ahead on each.  Kind of Apples and dinosaurs to me, though, they sound really different.  

• Like 2

I'm actually not a huge Tull fan as a general proposition, but when they hit I am.  I did a deep dive not too long ago on Apple Music because someone here was talking about them, or might have been posting about playing their discography.  Quite a bit that doesn't really interest me.  That said, CCR is one of those bands I don't dislike, but I've never owned anything of theirs and I don't feel like I've missed out.  Aqualung is Tull at their high water mark IMO.  And they have enough other material to put them over the top.  If you put M.U. against Chronicle it would be the same result for me.

On 6/10/2023 at 12:56 AM, Entre_Perpetuo said:

None of these are unfair fights, but the appeal for each is pretty different from the other. I think CCR are practically un-hatable, and Tull are very much an acquired taste, but having acquired that taste, JT just does a lot more for me. 

Do you think CCR have a wider appeal to general public, casual rock fans?

I would consider CCR a quintessential American  band, but I'm not sure if I'd consider Tull a quintessential British band. How about you?

11 minutes ago, Texas King said:

I would consider CCR a quintessential American  band, but I'm not sure if I'd consider Tull a quintessential British band. How about you?

First question: definitely. Tull have a couple songs that most rock fans could jam with, but overall it’s too quirky. CCR are pretty no nonsense rock and blues, with some country thrown in too.

CCR has WAY more commercial appeal.  Tull has.........Aqualung the song.  i hear that on classic rock radio a lot.  and......maybe locomotive Breath.  i hear basically the entire CCR discography still on radio:laugh:

Mick

• Like 1

I don't really like Tull. Good for you if you do, I admire their talent and sound but the style...I have no interest in it. 

CCR just have a timeless appeal. I think they better the Beatles in many instances. Their finest songs are on another level.

21 hours ago, Texas King said:

Tull is definitely a quintessential British band. 

• Like 1

On 6/9/2023 at 3:50 PM, Turbine Freight said:

Tull clean sweep.

Same. I like CCR, but still has become a top ten band all-time, for me. So it’s not close.

I can’t post what I want to say about the discussion above without sounding like a complete snob. But I’m wondering if I should even care about that.

CCR does have more commercial appeal, for sure. I don’t question that at all. But it’s an odd comparison, CCR and Tull. Jethro Tull is quintessentially British, yes, and they are also as prog as prog rock can get- on Thick as a Brick and A Passion Play in particular. CCR never attempted anything as ambitious and risk-taking as those. But that’s not to put them down. They were just a straight-ahead American rock band in 4/4 time.

It’s purely a case of apples and oranges. 

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Blue J said:

I can’t post what I want to say about the discussion above without sounding like a complete snob. But I’m wondering if I should even care about that.

CCR does have more commercial appeal, for sure. I don’t question that at all. But it’s an odd comparison, CCR and Tull. Jethro Tull is quintessentially British, yes, and they are also as prog as prog rock can get- on Thick as a Brick and A Passion Play in particular. CCR never attempted anything as ambitious and risk-taking as those. But that’s not to put them down. They were just a straight-ahead American rock band in 4/4 time.

100%

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Blue J said:

CCR couldn't and they shouldn't.

Flip side i don't tull could ever do swamp rock.

Mick

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, bluefox4000 said:

Mick

But here’s the real question… could Cat Stevens ever do Born On The Bayou?

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, bluefox4000 said:

Heavy horses is my fav Cat album:laugh:

Treeduck HATES us,'

Mick

:pirate:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bluefox4000 said:

Mick

Oh I don’t disagree with that, haha.

• Like 2