The Official 2023 NFL season thread

laughedatbytime

1 hour ago, Rick N. Backer said:

Really strange that the Patriots completely changed their system that was completely responsible for their 20 years of success at the same time Brady left.

Watching the Chiefs and their current attempt to sustain the winning ways really tells me how special Brady was as a competitor.  The psychological side of sustained excellence in sports can't be understated.

2 hours ago, Rick N. Backer said:

Really strange that the Patriots completely changed their system that was completely responsible for their 20 years of success at the same time Brady left.

Brady's better than MacCorkle Jones.   

I can't imagine being so enamored with one individual that I'd actively enjoy the demise of a team I supposedly rooted for, but I guess part of Brady's magic is that he's been able to charm people from Skip Bayless to Antonio Brown to SBF.  At least you didn't pay him $55 million to be his friend.   Hopefully you stayed away from that and the other snake oil he's so good at pushing.

4 hours ago, laughedatbytime said:

Brady's better than MacCorkle Jones.   

I can't imagine being so enamored with one individual that I'd actively enjoy the demise of a team I supposedly rooted for, but I guess part of Brady's magic is that he's been able to charm people from Skip Bayless to Antonio Brown to SBF.  At least you didn't pay him $55 million to be his friend.   Hopefully you stayed away from that and the other snake oil he's so good at pushing.

I don’t enjoy it.  But I’m a realistic Patriots fan, and I think one of my team’s biggest problems is that we don’t have a reliable QB.  Not having a reliable QB is an almost certain road to a bad season.  Having the greatest QB in history allowed the Patriots to dominate the NFL for 20 years.

13 minutes ago, Rick N. Backer said:

I don’t enjoy it.  But I’m a realistic Patriots fan, and I think one of my team’s biggest problems is that we don’t have a reliable QB.  Not having a reliable QB is an almost certain road to a bad season.  Having the greatest QB in history allowed the Patriots to dominate the NFL for 20 years.

Nah, having a coaching system and organization that could win double digit games with Matt Cassel and McCorkle Jones at QB, allowed then to win extremely closely contested Super Bowls with an above average quarterback (and lose three against the likes of Nick Foles and that funny guy that provides comic relief on MNF broadcasts with his brother.)

9 hours ago, laughedatbytime said:

Nah, having a coaching system and organization that could win double digit games with Matt Cassel and McCorkle Jones at QB, allowed then to win extremely closely contested Super Bowls with an above average quarterback (and lose three against the likes of Nick Foles and that funny guy that provides comic relief on MNF broadcasts with his brother.)

Bill (and his system) without Brady is 80-91. The Patriots at best will win 3 more games this year with Bill at the helm. Bill the GM would have fired Bill the coach long ago. 

Edited by edhunter

11 hours ago, edhunter said:

Bill (and his system) without Brady is 80-91. The Patriots at best will win 3 more games this year with Bill at the helm. Bill the GM would have fired Bill the coach long ago. 

Bill the coach is hurt by his say in personnel maters.  If you can win double digit games with McCorkle and Cassell, that's a great coach.  If you can get the Commissioner to change the rules multiple times to combat your schemes, that's a great coach.  True, some of that success was achieved by bending the rulles, and it's hard to know how much, but he, his system, and the defense he created was a bigger factor than the system QB who ran the offense and benefited from a run of good luck, except maybe against the mediocre QB whose team his offense put up 31 points in two games against.  (At first when I saw 80-91 I thought it was Eli's record.)   Put Brady on the Dolphin teams of his era and he'd be a footnote in history.

Bill is starting to slip a bit, it seems, and nepotism may have led to the very recent decline, but he still comes up with gems like sending a rusher from the sidelines to block a kick to keep the team in the game that show he's still making the best of what he has.  You can only juggle the plates for so long in the modern NFL.

On 10/1/2023 at 6:55 PM, Principled Man said:

Yes!  I should have drafted Achane.  

Thanks for your ZERO points today, Mostert.   You should change your name to Leastert!  😡

Upon further review:  Yer all right, Mostert.  Your big day today has absolved you of your past sins.  :biggrin:

• Haha 1

Love it when Monday Night games are dull and boring.  They just might make Joe/Troy retire.....

• Haha 1

52 minutes ago, Principled Man said:

Love it when Monday Night games are dull and boring.  They just might make Joe/Troy retire.....

Not sure the League would consider Hebert-Prescott tied at 17-17 with 5:30 to go 'boring', but +1 for no more of the wonder twins

On 10/20/2023 at 7:13 AM, Nova Carmina said:

Nice outfit, Treeduck! But can you introduce me to the woman in the hat? 

It's Jeannine from Spinal.Tap.  Age does something to us all.

• Haha 1