Signals 40th Anniversary Boxed Set?

caskof43

1 hour ago, Nova Carmina said:

I'll bet you a shiny dime they don't do one at all. Moving Pictures -- as their mountaintop moment -- seems like sort of a terminus to me. 

As much as I love Signals , P/G & PoW

I’ve ‘ liked  ‘ your comment NC because I believe your analysis & prediction will turn out to be correct  🤔😮:yes:

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Alex’s Amazing Arpeggios said:

As much as I love Signals , P/G & PoW

I’ve ‘ liked  ‘ your comment NC because I believe your analysis & prediction will turn out to be correct  🤔😮:yes:

Oh, if it were up to me, they wouldn't stop releasing cool stuff til we got to Roll The Bones! I love the synth era (that's when I boarded the bus, after all), but I don't see it, unfortunately. I think they're at a "stopping place," so they will.

I think there's a decent chance they do Signals because that one had one of their signature videos (Subdivisions) and their only actual Top 40 hit (New World Man), and I think it's the last one of their albums that had any real "mainstream" cache. All the ones after that are much more niche appeal and probably wouldn't be worth the production costs to make a huge box set, but I think there's a good case it's worthwhile to do Signals.

• Like 1

I don't imagine that Signals gets an anniversary edition...although I would love it if it did - it is a definite top 5 album for me.  I think, despite Subdivisions and New World Man being hits, that the "classic" era of albums is considered over by the record company and the band.  The wider appeal to the rock fans who might buy, say, a Bruce Springsteen box or a Fleetwood Mac box or something, reaches its pinnacle with MP...after that it's "just" the fans.  I will rejoice if I am wrong because it's one I'd run out to buy.

• Like 2

Signals is definitely going to get the 40th treatment. I don't have any evidence but it would shock me if they passed this one up. As was stated earlier, it's the album with their only top 40 hit, and the last one that kinda has mainstream appeal. When people think of Rush, they do often think of Subdivisions. Can't really say the same about the biggest songs off any of the following albums.  And I think it is pretty standard practice to go one album deep into any band's "notoriously unliked" period when doing a retrospective of any kind before calling it quits, whether that be including the "one good" 80s album of a 70s band in their Top 10 albums, or stopping anniversary box sets at the first "real" synth era album.  Plus, Signals is the last one with Terry Brown, which gives it a measurable definite amount of canonical value alongside the other Terry albums. 

Will this be as big of a set as Moving Pictures? Heck no. They knew how big of a deal MP was to Rush's legacy going into it and they built the biggest set they could imagine as a result.  However, seeing as customer service is STILL trying to ship my replacement LP from the big bad box set to me that I order when it first came out... yeah I don't think they want this many discs or hassle with the next set. 

Will they go beyond Signals? There's a good chance that they won't.  Grace is the first album without Terry behind the boards, which has always turned some fans off simply from a production standpoint.  It's also a really distinct stylistic break from the past. Alex has all but given up on his classic riff work in favor of an Andy Summers meets Pete Townsend world of jazz chords in space.  The keys have gone from lush and warm to cold and sharp.  I think this is Neil's first album with electronic drums even?  Plus there was no more commercial steam for another Top 40 hit after New World Man, meaning the public didn't really buy in to this seemingly more streamlined and commercial approach, and being so streamlined and commercial sounding, many of the old school Rush fans who hadn't quite jumped ship at Signals were just in over their heads.  I'll gladly admit it was the first Rush album I listened to that I felt a bit iffy about.  I've since grown to love it, but it had to grow on me. None of the ones I heard before it had that effect. Plus, if were keeping track, I feel like this is the first album where Neil includes a song that priorities word play over a distinct message or story: Red Lenses.  I suppose you could argue Vital Signs was a bit more style than substance lyrically, but the cheese does begin to have a distinct aroma by the time Red Lenses rolls around.  This is a theme that would be picked up again on Presto, and many of Neil's most often unloved lyrics would follow in the wake.  So, all signs point to Grace being an album that they may decide doesn't deserve a 40th anniversary release. And if Grace doesn't get one, I doubt we see another until 2052!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

Signals is definitely going to get the 40th treatment. I don't have any evidence but it would shock me if they passed this one up. As was stated earlier, it's the album with their only top 40 hit, and the last one that kinda has mainstream appeal. When people think of Rush, they do often think of Subdivisions. Can't really say the same about the biggest songs off any of the following albums.  And I think it is pretty standard practice to go one album deep into any band's "notoriously unliked" period when doing a retrospective of any kind before calling it quits, whether that be including the "one good" 80s album of a 70s band in their Top 10 albums, or stopping anniversary box sets at the first "real" synth era album.  Plus, Signals is the last one with Terry Brown, which gives it a measurable definite amount of canonical value alongside the other Terry albums. 

Will this be as big of a set as Moving Pictures? Heck no. They knew how big of a deal MP was to Rush's legacy going into it and they built the biggest set they could imagine as a result.  However, seeing as customer service is STILL trying to ship my replacement LP from the big bad box set to me that I order when it first came out... yeah I don't think they want this many discs or hassle with the next set. 

Will they go beyond Signals? There's a good chance that they won't.  Grace is the first album without Terry behind the boards, which has always turned some fans off simply from a production standpoint.  It's also a really distinct stylistic break from the past. Alex has all but given up on his classic riff work in favor of an Andy Summers meets Pete Townsend world of jazz chords in space.  The keys have gone from lush and warm to cold and sharp.  I think this is Neil's first album with electronic drums even?  Plus there was no more commercial steam for another Top 40 hit after New World Man, meaning the public didn't really buy in to this seemingly more streamlined and commercial approach, and being so streamlined and commercial sounding, many of the old school Rush fans who hadn't quite jumped ship at Signals were just in over their heads.  I'll gladly admit it was the first Rush album I listened to that I felt a bit iffy about.  I've since grown to love it, but it had to grow on me. None of the ones I heard before it had that effect. Plus, if were keeping track, I feel like this is the first album where Neil includes a song that priorities word play over a distinct message or story: Red Lenses.  I suppose you could argue Vital Signs was a bit more style than substance lyrically, but the cheese does begin to have a distinct aroma by the time Red Lenses rolls around.  This is a theme that would be picked up again on Presto, and many of Neil's most often unloved lyrics would follow in the wake.  So, all signs point to Grace being an album that they may decide doesn't deserve a 40th anniversary release. And if Grace doesn't get one, I doubt we see another until 2052!

Alternatively, the money machine keeps rolling and we get 40th boxes for everything going forward. They are currently at the stage where they could still decide to do one for ESL (even though they didn't do one for ATWAS). I don't begin to think they will, but like, now would be the time.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Nova Carmina said:

I'll bet you a shiny dime they don't do one at all. Moving Pictures -- as their mountaintop moment -- seems like sort of a terminus to me. 

I tend to agree with this, but I hope "they" do some sort of live series and we have a complete Signals show made available and then after that one by one we get full shows from all the tours. And then after that for a 50th Anniversary Edition of ATWAS - the complete 3 night stint at Massey Hall with a diorama of the stage and action figures of Skip/Lorne and Howie, setting up 

10 hours ago, taurus said:

I tend to agree with this, but I hope "they" do some sort of live series and we have a complete Signals show made available 

And that Signals tour setlist was SICK. All killer, no filler.

That was the tour to see, IMO. (I didn't. I was 6 years old.)

• Like 1

I am optimistic that they will issue 40th anniversary versions of every Rush album moving forward (with the early albums getting the 50th anniversary treatment starting in 2024!), my only question is when. Hoping they can get Signals’ 40th squared away by early 2023 so we can get back on track (in terms of release year) with Grace Under Pressure in 2024. 

All of this is especially important to me as I first saw Rush in 1983 between the Signals and GUP tours during their sold out 5 night run at Radio City Music Hall (with Marillion opening!). I was 13 and it completely blew my mind. 😊

Edited by caskof43

For me, a 40th anniversary release will only be of interest if it includes a full show from the tour. Otherwise, I can't see the point.

As far as further releases beyond Signals ....... it all started going downhill then so I wouldn't be that fussed.

18 hours ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

Alternatively, the money machine keeps rolling and we get 40th boxes for everything going forward. They are currently at the stage where they could still decide to do one for ESL (even though they didn't do one for ATWAS). I don't begin to think they will, but like, now would be the time.

I think the best we'll get for an ESL 40 is the alternate live stuff we got in MP40.  

11 minutes ago, grep said:

I think the best we'll get for an ESL 40 is the alternate live stuff we got in MP40.  

Yeah I agree

On 8/24/2022 at 2:35 PM, zepphead said:

For me, a 40th anniversary release will only be of interest if it includes a full show from the tour. Otherwise, I can't see the point.

As far as further releases beyond Signals ....... it all started going downhill then so I wouldn't be that fussed.

Those are the only 40th anniversary releases I've bothered to purchase. I don't really care if Alice in Chains (albeit great) or Dream Theater covered Rush.

• Like 1

On 8/23/2022 at 9:50 PM, Timbale said:

I don't imagine that Signals gets an anniversary edition...although I would love it if it did - it is a definite top 5 album for me.  I think, despite Subdivisions and New World Man being hits, that the "classic" era of albums is considered over by the record company and the band.  The wider appeal to the rock fans who might buy, say, a Bruce Springsteen box or a Fleetwood Mac box or something, reaches its pinnacle with MP...after that it's "just" the fans.  I will rejoice if I am wrong because it's one I'd run out to buy.

be patient  it's coming

• Like 2

On 8/26/2022 at 11:42 PM, Digital82 said:

be patient  it's coming

I want everything. but I'm probably the only one that does.  At the VERY least release ALL of the 2015 masters on CD including the live albums..

9 hours ago, ytserush said:

I want everything. but I'm probably the only one that does.  At the VERY least release ALL of the 2015 masters on CD including the live albums..

you are *not* "the only one that does" want everything

• Like 1