RIP Charlie Watts

Rushman14

Does this mean that the Rolling Stones are done?

They could continue, but it won't be the same. It would be like Rush with another drummer.

Nah.....Charlie didn't contribute anything like as much as Neil did with Rush

......and I knew someone was going to make an ignorant statement like this. Watts was part of the core of the Rolling Stones sound. If you can't hear that, then you really don't have the intellectual wherewithal to contribute to a discussion on music.

What amazes me is that you could reach the age of 53 and still throw your toys out the pram when someone expresses an opinion on a public messageboard that you don't like

You're the one that has resorted to the ad hominem insult, not me.

And whether you like it or not, it is my opinion that there are a great many drummers who could do exactly what Charlie did....Neil, not so much.

All this has nothing to do with my personal opinion of the man who I never met......

You however, the jury is still out on whether I decide you are a c*** or not :-)

".....a great many drummers who could do exactly what Charlie did"

And so you double down on the ignorant statements. Charlie Watts, along with Ringo Starr, INVENTED the sound of modern rock. Period. There would have been no Rush had these guys not paved the way for them. And then, the Rolling Stones managed to stay relevant for 60 YEARS, in no small part due to CW's contributions.

• Like 3

They could continue, but it won't be the same. It would be like Rush with another drummer.

......and I knew someone was going to make an ignorant statement like this. Watts was part of the core of the Rolling Stones sound. If you can't hear that, then you really don't have the intellectual wherewithal to contribute to a discussion on music.

What amazes me is that you could reach the age of 53 and still throw your toys out the pram when someone expresses an opinion on a public messageboard that you don't like

And whether you like it or not, it is my opinion that there are a great many drummers who could do exactly what Charlie did....Neil, not so much.

All this has nothing to do with my personal opinion of the man who I never met......

You however, the jury is still out on whether I decide you are a c*** or not :-)

And so you double down on the ignorant statements. Charlie Watts, along with Ringo Starr, INVENTED the sound of modern rock. Period. There would have been no Rush had these guys not paved the way for them. And then, the Rolling Stones managed to stay relevant for 60 YEARS, in no small part due to CW's contributions.

I wasn't aware that CW or Ringo played guitar, which is really where rock gets its sound...look, he was a competent drummer who produced a good backbeat, but to lionise him in the way that you are doing is just silly....Whether the RS have been relevant for a long time is a debatable point

It seems CW only has writing credits for a handful of RS songs

https://secondhandsongs.com/artist/18668/works

• Like 1

A friend of mine used to get me some part time work with a security company. One of the jobs was for the Bridges to Babylon tour announcement under the Brooklyn Bridge. My post was outside the restaurant on the patio next to the East River. I could see inside the restaurant and there they were - the Rolling Stones. I was in awe. Eventually they came outside on the patio for a quick photo op. The only Stone to acknowledge me was Charlie Watts. He nodded at me and said how nice the weather was. He was a gentleman. True story.

Something along the same lines happened to an acquaintance of mine (in Pittsburgh, of course.) He went to see a small jazz group on the North Side of Pittsburgh in June, 2015. He was standing in the crowd and looked and saw Charlie Watts standing next to him! :o They spoke briefly, along the lines of "is it really you?"

Turns out the Stones were playing Heinz Field the next day. One of the back up sax players with the Stones was sitting in with the jazz group that was playing and Charlie went to see him. Charlie said he liked to get out and see the cities they were touring, when possible. Made an impression on my friend that he was a very cool, supportive, down to earth guy. It's just nice to hear that kind of story, as opposed to running into Steven Tyler at his worst or whatever.

Edited by blueschica
  • Like 3

I am very sad about this. To me, as a loss, this is right up there with Neil Peart....almost. One of the greatest drummers ever and a classy guy. It isn't all about how many notes you can play or how fast. Charlie opitimized PERFECT drumming for his band. He had so much style and no one fit in the pocket better. Such an influence on so many other drummers. Many iconic drum parts over the years. He was a HUGE part of the Stones sound. Just ask Keith and Mick.
  • Like 2

I wasn't aware that CW or Ringo played guitar, which is really where rock gets its sound...look, he was a competent drummer who produced a good backbeat, but to lionise him in the way that you are doing is just silly....Whether the RS have been relevant for a long time is a debatable point

https://secondhandso...ist/18668/works

I took your comment to be in reference to Neil's contribution to RUSH relative to Charlie's, and while Charlie was a great rock drummer, and a perfect drummer for the Stones, he didn't fulfill a role in the songwriting like Neil did. So, yeah, Neil's contribution to his band is greater.

Pissing match aside, Charlie could flat lay it down.

• Like 2

Please just stop. You are really showing your ignorance. Rock music is LITERALLY defined by rhythm, NOT melody. With over 200 sub-genres, rock is predominately defined by the backbeat -- 4/4 time with accent on the 2nd and 4th beat. Ringo and Charlie were among the early pioneers and popularizers of the backbeat.

Again, without the Stones, there's no Rush.

• Like 3

Not sure if it was mentioned or not but whenever Jagger would do the band introductions live, Charlie usually got the longest and loudest ovation from the crowd. I think everyone knew he was the quiet unsung hero of the band.
  • Like 6

240539595_2633703133604882_1267426645233591097_n.jpg?_nc_cat=105&ccb=1-5&_nc_sid=8bfeb9&_nc_ohc=43Rs2nbXskQAX-PJgKS&_nc_ht=scontent-dfw5-1.xx&oh=69a5a6d45b39ca73191a8621c472f0dd&oe=614DD6B1

This looks like a nod of respect and appreciation to me.

Alex looks pleased. :yes:

Saw this on Rush is a Band

Peart once met Watts backstage at the 2003 SARS benefit show in Toronto and described the experience in his 2004 book Traveling Music:

... A short, older man stepped up to me, sticking out his hand and saying something I couldn't hear. Thinking "Now who's THIS?" I took out one of my ear monitors and said "Sorry, I couldn't hear you."

He spoke again, smiling, "Hello, I'm Charlie Watts."

"Oh!" I said, taken aback, "Hello." And I shook his hand.

He asked if we were going on soon, and I said yes, any minute, and he said, with a twinkle, "I'm going to watch you!"

I suppose if I could have felt more pressured, that might have done it, but I was already at maximum intensity - there was no time to think of Charlie Watts and the Rolling Stones, watching them on The T.A.M.I Show or Ed Sullivan when I was twelve-and-a-half, hearing Satisfaction snarling down the midway at Lakeside Park, Gimme Shelter at the cinema in London, listening to Charlie's beautiful solo album, Warm and Tender, so many times late at night in Quebec, or any of the other million times Charlie Watts and his band had been part of my life.

Geddy e-mailed me later and mentioned that scene:

"BTW, I will never forget that moment before we went onstage when Charlie Watts came over to shake your hand (at the worst possible moment!) and watching your face go through all the motions of... a. who is this old guy? b. what does he want? c. oh for god's sake it's Charlie Watts!" ...

There's a short video snippet of this encounter included in the Toronto Rocks documentary which you can watch below or on YouTube

:

Rush also posted a photo of the above-described experience to their official Instagram earlier today with the following caption:

Sad day for rock and roll...RIP Charlie Watts. He was much loved. ...
Edited by Rhyta
  • Like 5

Please just stop. You are really showing your ignorance. Rock music is LITERALLY defined by rhythm, NOT melody. With over 200 sub-genres, rock is predominately defined by the backbeat -- 4/4 time with accent on the 2nd and 4th beat. Ringo and Charlie were among the early pioneers and popularizers of the backbeat.

You don't get to tell me to stop......I've played in bands for over thirty years and think I know a little bit about the subject.....I don't give a toss about how many sub genres there are, and many drummers were doing that kind of thing way beore Ringo and Charlie......and who are you to say there would be no Rush without the Stones?....I don't hear much of their music in Rush's back catalogue (maybe more of The Beatles).

I still think that what I said was a simple fact.....Neil would be a far harder drummer to replace than Charlie...I've nothing against the man at all, but I don't see how this obvious truth could be disputed...but go ahead if you wish, I'm all for pointless posting to kill an hour or two.

I took your comment to be in reference to Neil's contribution to RUSH relative to Charlie's, and while Charlie was a great rock drummer, and a perfect drummer for the Stones, he didn't fulfill a role in the songwriting like Neil did. So, yeah, Neil's contribution to his band is greater.

Pissing match aside, Charlie could flat lay it down.

Yeah, you got it.

There would have been no Rush had these guys not paved the way for them.

It was more Geddy and Alex who were influenced by The Stones for a brief moment in the 60's than Neil was.

Alex admitted in the We Want Rush! - Alex Lifeson and Geddy Lee of Rush talk about the Stones video clip from the Forty Licks Stones Anniversary Tour (which I viewed years ago, but is no longer available), that he owned the Big Hits (High Tide and Green Grass) album and learned the guitar riff to '(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction' while visiting relatives overseas.

Geddy said in a couple of interviews that when he started out playing bass, he learned The Rolling Stones instrumental '2120 South Michigan Avenue'.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXQYDfLxVtk

According to Geddy, you were considered cool on the neighbourhood block if you learned that bass part.

This next bit is from Neil's book Traveling Music: The Soundtrack to My Life and Times, in regards to preparing and performing at the 2003 Toronto Rocks benefit concert with The Stones as headliners and Charlie Watts.

Strangely, though, it was Rolling Stones songs that kept ringing in my brain. Although I hadn't thought about it that way consciously, my unconscious seemed to be aware that we would be sharing the stage with that legendary band - whose resonance in my life, after all, went right back to The T.A.M.I. Show, almost 40 years ago, before I'd ever even touched a drumstick. (When I was asked for a press statement about the show, I remarked that after thirty years together, it was nice for us to be among the younger bands on that stage -- considering the ages of The Guess Who, on before us, and AC/DC and the Stones after.) However superannuated Mick and the boys might be, and whether or not they lived up to their frequent billing as "the world's greatest rock 'n' roll band," they were certainly the most successful over the long run. And even though I had never been a huge Stones fan, had never owned any of their records (other than the album of standards released by Charlie Watts and friends, Warm and Tender), I could hardly escape hearing them over the decades (perhaps, as with the Beatles, I heard them so much it wasn't necessary to own their records!). My mental transistor radio started replaying some of their songs I did like: “Time Is on My Side," "Under My Thumb," “Paint It Black," "Playing with Fire," "Sympathy for the Devil,” “Gimme Shelter," "You Can't Always Get What You Want."

When Neil has discussed drumming influences, nowhere has he mentioned Charlie Watts.

As I've said, The Stones influence on Rush was brief, in particular to Geddy and Alex. Neil appreciated the energy vibe of The Stones on the T.A.M.I. Show with the other acts performing.

To the members of Rush still living and passed on; Cream, The Who, Led Zeppelin, Yes, Jethro Tull, etc. were the most influential musically to them.

Yes Rush did perform an instrumental version of 'Paint It Black' at the 2003 Toronto Rocks concert. I believe that was just a one-time tribute because The Stones were on the bill.

Just because a musician meets another older peer who plays the same instrument, doesn't mean that the younger person is influenced by the elder statesman. It's just mutual admiration society for playing the same instrument and that's it.

On a side note, it's disheartening when there's bickering amongst forum members about touchy subjects regarding the loss of a musician.

Edited by RushFanForever
  • Like 3

It was more Geddy and Alex who were influenced by The Stones for a brief moment in the 60's than Neil was.

Alex admitted in the We Want Rush! - Alex Lifeson and Geddy Lee of Rush talk about the Stones video clip from the Forty Licks Stones Anniversary Tour (which I viewed years ago, but is no longer available), that he owned the Big Hits (High Tide and Green Grass) album and learned the guitar riff to '(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction' while visiting relatives overseas.

Geddy said in a couple of interviews that when he started out playing bass, he learned The Rolling Stones instrumental '2120 South Michigan Avenue'.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXQYDfLxVtk

According to Geddy, you were considered cool on the neighbourhood block if you learned that bass part.

This next bit is from Neil's book Traveling Music: The Soundtrack to My Life and Times, in regards to preparing and performing at the 2003 Toronto Rocks benefit concert with The Stones as headliners and Charlie Watts.

Strangely, though, it was Rolling Stones songs that kept ringing in my brain. Although I hadn't thought about it that way consciously, my unconscious seemed to be aware that we would be sharing the stage with that legendary band - whose resonance in my life, after all, went right back to The T.A.M.I. Show, almost 40 years ago, before I'd ever even touched a drumstick. (When I was asked for a press statement about the show, I remarked that after thirty years together, it was nice for us to be among the younger bands on that stage -- considering the ages of The Guess Who, on before us, and AC/DC and the Stones after.) However superannuated Mick and the boys might be, and whether or not they lived up to their frequent billing as "the world's greatest rock 'n' roll band," they were certainly the most successful over the long run. And even though I had never been a huge Stones fan, had never owned any of their records (other than the album of standards released by Charlie Watts and friends, Warm and Tender), I could hardly escape hearing them over the decades (perhaps, as with the Beatles, I heard them so much it wasn't necessary to own their records!). My mental transistor radio started replaying some of their songs I did like: “Time Is on My Side," "Under My Thumb," “Paint It Black," "Playing with Fire," "Sympathy for the Devil,” “Gimme Shelter," "You Can't Always Get What You Want."

When Neil has discussed drumming influences, nowhere has he mentioned Charlie Watts.

As I've said, The Stones influence on Rush was brief, in particular to Geddy and Alex. To the members of Rush still living and passed on, Cream, The Who, Led Zeppelin, Yes, Jethro Tull, etc. were the most influential musically.

Yes Rush did perform an instrumental version of 'Paint It Black' at the 2003 Toronto Rocks concert. I believe that was just a one-time tribute because The Stones were on the bill.

On a side note, it's disheartening when there's bickering amongst forum members about touchy subjects regarding the loss of a musician.

Great post! I've never heard that song before. Is that the first fuzz bass riff?? Ged and the neighborhood kids were right, it's super cool!

I should add that when Rush started out as a band, they played covers, which included Rolling Stones songs.

That's part and parcel of a music act performing at bars and high school dances where playing the well-known hits is an essential thing to get people dancing.

When Rush released the Feedback covers album, did they include Rolling Stones songs on the list? The answer is no.

Edited by RushFanForever

It happened just as Rush were going to take the stage at the Toronto SARS benefit in 2003...

25a48a11415e081f704e7799c1e03896.jpg

There's footage of this encounter with Peart and Watts on the bonus features of the Toronto Rocks DVD package.

There's two versions of the package, in which one is a Canadian edition featuring the Canadian acts on the bill.

Back in 2002, The Rolling Stones filmed segments of various stops on their Forty Licks Tour.

These segments were available as clips to buy on the Stones website.

One of them was titled 'We Want Rush! - Alex Lifeson and Geddy Lee of Rush talk about the Stones'.

I remember this moment because Peart had said rather disparaging things about Charlie Watts in an interview (Modern Drummer, maybe?) in the '70s. Of course Watts, ever the gentleman, was very gracious with Peart there.

I bet we've all heard countless cover band play Rolling Stones' songs - and heard many of them sound "off". As far as I'm concerned, it usually has to do with the fact that they have some very straight-playing "rock" drummer who has no feel whatsoever - bashers treating the grooves like they're, as Freddy Gruber might have said, played by pogo sticks. Charlie's feel was everything - a huge reason those countless songs are on endless rotation our entire lives.

Growing up with Peart as my hero (and being a drummer), when I was an early teen a guy like Charlie meant nothing to me. It didn't impress me at all. I now see how great he was...and that greatness and "chops" or "virtuosity" are not interchangeable. Peart's ability to do fast 5-note crossovers or play a few quick things on a midi marimba wouldn't mean f**k all in Stones r&r song. (And Jones' marimba playing on Under My Thumb is way hipper, anyway... ;) )

The other thing I would say is that the Stones, like the Beatles, are SO ubiquitous that we can take them for granted. Certainly radio has sucked all the life out of the 10 or so songs that get cycled repeatedly. I've been playing their full albums since Charlie died, and man, they are a kick ass rock and roll band. And Watts is at the heart of that for sure.

• Like 5

That's a bit much.

I bet we've all heard countless cover band play Rolling Stones' songs - and heard many of them sound "off". As far as I'm concerned, it usually has to do with the fact that they have some very straight-playing "rock" drummer who has no feel whatsoever - bashers treating the grooves like they're, as Freddy Gruber might have said, played by pogo sticks. Charlie's feel was everything - a huge reason those countless songs are on endless rotation our entire lives.

Growing up with Peart as my hero (and being a drummer), when I was an early teen a guy like Charlie meant nothing to me. It didn't impress me at all. I now see how great he was...and that greatness and "chops" or "virtuosity" are not interchangeable. Peart's ability to do fast 5-note crossovers or play a few quick things on a midi marimba wouldn't mean f**k all in Stones r&r song. (And Jones' marimba playing on Under My Thumb is way hipper, anyway... ;) )

The other thing I would say is that the Stones, like the Beatles, are SO ubiquitous that we can take them for granted. Certainly radio has sucked all the life out of the 10 or so songs that get cycled repeatedly. I've been playing their full albums since Charlie died, and man, they are a kick ass rock and roll band. And Watts is at the heart of that for sure.

great post!

• Like 1