Who's the undisputed champion of power ballads?

Entre_Perpetuo

who's got the greatest, biggest, sappiest, catchiest ballads?  

17 members have voted

1. 1. choose one band

• Aerosmith
    • REO Speedwagon
    • Journey
    • Def Leppard
    • Bon Jovi
    • Foreigner
    • Styx
    • Meat Loaf
    • The Goo Goo Dolls
    • Van Halen
    • Metallica
    • Chicago
    • Red Hot Chili Peppers
    • Whitesnake
    • Poison
    • Night Ranger
    • The Scorpions
    • Boston
    • Guns N Roses
    • Kiss
    • Queen
    • Heart
    • Toto
    • Mr. Mister
    • Pink Floyd
    • The Eagles
    • Lynyrd Skynyrd
    • U2
    • The Cars
    • Stryper
    • some other band
  2. 2. which of these is the greatest power ballad?

• Aerosmith - What It Takes
    • REO Speedwagon - Keep On Lovin' You
    • Journey - Open Arms
    • Def Leppard - Hysteria
    • Bon Jovi - I'll Be There For You
    • Foreigner - I Want To Know What Love Is
    • Styx - The Best Of Times
    • Meat Loaf - I'd Do Anything For Love (edited on account of J2112YYZ)
    • The Goo Goo Dolls - Iris
    • Van Halen - When It's Love
    • Metallica - Nothing Else Matters
    • Chicago - You're The Inspiration
    • Red Hot Chili Peppers - Under The Bridge
    • Whitesnake - Is This Love
    • Poison - Every Rose Has Its Thorn
    • Night Ranger - Sister Christian
    • The Scorpions - Still Loving You
    • Boston - Amanda
    • Guns N Roses - November Rain
    • Kiss - Forever
    • Queen - Save Me
    • Heart - What About Love?
    • Toto - Africa
    • Mr. Mister - Take These Broken Wings
    • Pink Floyd - Comfortably Numb
    • The Eagles - Take It To The Limit
    • Lynyrd Skynyrd - Simple Man
    • U2 - With Or Without You
    • The Cars - Drive
    • Stryper - I Believe In You
    • some other song by one of the bands in the poll
    • some other song by a band not in the poll!

No solo artists, they'd probably outnumber the bands.... unless I went full hair metal... Edited by Entre_Perpetuo

Without quibbling too much about definitions, I went with Aerosmith for the CrazyCryin'AmazingAngel, etc.

"I Wanna Know What Love Is" is just so . . . extra . . . that's it's got to be the one.

As someone who owned Monster Ballads, I approve of this poll.

• Like 1

I don't understand that Meat Loaf song pick. How is that considered a power ballad? Shouldn't I'd Do Anything For Love be the song here?

mmm, probably

For me, it's pretty tough, but Aerosmith takes it for two reasons:

1. every ballad from Angel to I Don't Wanna Miss A Thing

2. They basically prototyped or invented the power ballad all the way back in 1973 with Dream On, which would probably get my vote easy if I'd put it in the poll

As for the second poll, I probably shouldn't have given myself a Queen option :blush:

• Like 1

I reckon Heart`s "Alone" or These Dreams might be even more "powery"? And Whitesnake, I`d say "Here I Go Again". But that`s just because if I had to pick I`d say I prefer those songs... or I did when I had a soft metal ballads CD when I was about 13 :eyeroll:

For sheer extravagance, including the video`s uber-cliche of Slash soloing wirelessly near what looked like the Grand Canyon, I`ll go with the epic length November Rain.

• Like 1

Comfortably Numb? Not a power ballad imo. No way, no how.

Take It To The Limit? ditto

Simple Man? With Or Without You?

No vote

Here's my rationale for those ones:

Comfortably Numb: definitely a ballad so I think the power is what's in question. It's certainly a heck of a lot deeper than most anything else on the list, and comes from a much different background than your typical 80s power ballad too. However, I think those positively anthemic choruses plus the spotlight guitar soloing makes it at least genetically similar to the power ballad formula, though the verses are of course rather strange and different.

Take It To The Limit: also definitely a ballad, so it's the power in question again: without heavy power chords to back it up it definitely reads differently than your average power ballad. I think the string section adds enough bombast and grandeur, and the chorus is anthemic and repeatable enough that it qualifies.

Simple Man: It's got the right tempo and the right heaviness, plus the anthemic chorus, I guess what this comes down to is either lyrics or mood. As an early 70s song it's bound to stick out from the pack here as well. I've always thought this song is perhaps a hair too slow for it's own good, like there's a more energetic version within arms reach, so it definitely doesn't sound like it's supposed to be a ballad to me. But nevertheless it is pretty ballady and powerful as well.

With Or Without You: a different approach to the power ballad formula for sure, given it's U2 we're talking about of course it would be. Much more atmospheric, and it saves up it's bombast and those anthemic upper octave vocals for the end. But then, so does Don't Stop Believing which is closely related to power ballads if not one itself.

Anyway I see your point with all of these and you're welcome to disagree, but don't let a few odd choices stop you from voting on some of the other songs!

• Like 1

I feel like Stairway to Heaven was left out.

It was given a thought but no second thought. For me, the song could derail into power ballad territory, but stubbornly hangs on to its own unique thing instead. There's really not another song quite like it.

Heart for the band, and that was a tough choice.

I Want To Know What Love Is for the song, and not even close, as that was Karen and my wedding theme.

• Like 1

No vote

Comfortably Numb a power ballad? I have never heard it called that and I don't see how it could even be considered that.

Simple Man is just a slow tempo southern rock song. I can see an argument for it but not a strong one.

• Like 2

No vote

Comfortably Numb a power ballad? I have never heard it called that and I don't see how it could even be considered that.

Simple Man is just a slow tempo southern rock song. I can see an argument for it but not a strong one.

If you`re picking from early Skynyrd then "Tuesday`s Gone" is more of a ballad, pace and sentiment-wise.
  • Like 2

No vote

If you`re picking from early Skynyrd then "Tuesday`s Gone" is more of a ballad, pace and sentiment-wise.

Dang! That's the one I must've been subconsciously thinking of when it occurred to me Skynyrd belonged on the list, but I could only think of Simple Man or Freebird at the time.

There's really not another song quite like it.

I think that One by Metallica seems to have a similar pattern.

The structure is pretty similar, but the mood and the tempo and the ending are wildly different.