Dusty Hill, RIP

JohnRogers

I was lucky enough to see them twice in their prime. Degüello tour and Eliminator tour.

:haz: :haz: :haz:

• Like 2

ZZ Top was always somewhere close to the turn table, a CD close at hand.

RIP Dusty, what a ride!

• Like 2

La Futura was honestly a pretty great record. They might not've planned it that way but it was a good swan song. RIP.

The Deluxe Edition/Best Buy Bonus Tracks version of La Futura has a song titled 'Drive By Lover', which is co-written by Billy Gibbons and Austin blues-rock musician Van Wilks.

The ZZ Top version has Dusty Hill on vocals.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExhOAsGu5Qk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s17DbNbvvPY

Wilks' band Fools was signed to ZZ Top's management in the 70's.

Edited by RushFanForever
  • Like 1

The first song I ever played on stage was Tush... I play bass, so I was playing Dusty's part. Open mic in Sedro Wooley in the late '80's. Fantastic blues rock. Been listening to Tejas at work lately.

Thanks for holding down the fort in fine style, Dusty. You rocked and you made it swing.

• Like 3

Billy Gibbons said recently that a new ZZ Top album was being recorded. So whether it'll be finished now or not, or if it is, will it feature Dusty's bass parts, I don't know.

Billy also said that Dusty gave the ok for the band to finish this tour. I guess what ever the issue was, Dusty knew he might not be back to finish it. I guess Dusty's bass tech will fill in for the rest of the tour.

Edited by J2112YYZ
  • Like 2

Billy Gibbons said recently that a new ZZ Top album was being recorded. So whether it'll be finished now or not, or if it is, will it feature Dusty's bass parts, I don't know.

Billy also said that Dusty gave the ok for the band to finish this tour. I guess what ever the issue was, Dusty knew he might not be back to finish it. I guess Dusty's bass tech will fill in for the rest of the tour.

Unless they decide to get someone more permanent. Or maybe this guy will be the bass player from now on.

• Like 3

Unless they decide to get someone more permanent. Or maybe this guy will be the bass player from now on.

Somehow doesn't seem right ....... a bit like Rush continuing without Neil.
  • Like 2

The first song I ever played on stage was Tush... I play bass, so I was playing Dusty's part. Open mic in Sedro Wooley in the late '80's. Fantastic blues rock. Been listening to Tejas at work lately.

Thanks for holding down the fort in fine style, Dusty. You rocked and you made it swing.

Hey man, similar thing here .... way back in 1975 I bought Fandango! and Tres Hombres (it was on sale price) on a whim. ZZ Top meant jack sh*t in the UK at that point ....fame had yet to arrive here for them.

We had our band at the time and like yourself, I was bass player. We added Tush and Beer Drinkers & Hell Raisers to our set as they were rocky and relatively straightforward to play. Happy, simpler times.

Edited by zepphead
  • Like 2

Yeah well maybe Billy Gibbons gets fully into his solo career, which it looks like he has been doing for the last couple of years already.

• Like 2

The big difference is that Neil died after the band had finished. ZZ on the other hand had begun a massive tour that has them booked up through next year. Cancelling all of those dates would no doubt be a huge financial loss not only for the band but for their road crew who have probably all had little to no work since the pandemic started. I'm guessing Billy and Frank don't need anymore money at this point but the people who work for them do. They will do the rest of this tour in Dusty's memory and then ZZ Top will probably be no more.

• Like 4

:rose: :rose: :rose:

Rest in Peace

Joseph Michael Hill

My prayers are with your family, friends and fans.

(The latter of which I am proud to say I have been one of since 1975)

Such very sad news, indeed.

08d5bf9ae45cb4afa410d38f964a7222.jpg

• Like 6

Read today that Billy Gibbons has confirmed that the band would continue with Francis Elwood (longtime guitar tech) on bass, as per Hill's wishes. According to Gibbons, "Dusty emphatically grabbed my arm and said, 'Give Elwood the bottom end, and take it to the Top.' He meant it, amigo. He really did."
  • Like 3

The big difference is that Neil died after the band had finished. ZZ on the other hand had begun a massive tour that has them booked up through next year. Cancelling all of those dates would no doubt be a huge financial loss not only for the band but for their road crew who have probably all had little to no work since the pandemic started. I'm guessing Billy and Frank don't need anymore money at this point but the people who work for them do. They will do the rest of this tour in Dusty's memory and then ZZ Top will probably be no more.

Never thought of it that way .... fair point.
  • Like 2

Maybe you can step in and take over. You need to work on your beard though. :smoke:

• Like 3

Maybe you can step in and take over. You need to work on your beard though. :smoke:

Perhaps extensions??
  • Like 3

Perhaps extensions??

Or a transplant from your chest?

• Like 1

Eliminator and Afterburner were my first ZZ Top albums.

I wore those tapes out - just non stop. Thinking now, I think they were the band to get me into heavier stuff, like Van Halen and Rush (opposed to the top 40 radio I was listening to in 5th grade).

Even before I knew Dusty sang on the track, my all time favorite ZZ Top song, one that I would play over and over again, is Delirious:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2T_IqsaDco

Shit I don't even know if bass was even recorded for this song (or live drums), but Dusty's voice just CUTS. He has so much attitude and swagger and not-giving-a-f**k-ness.

He was brilliant. Gave the band it's outlaw vibe, and was just a killer musician to boot.

Edited by chemistry1973
  • Like 5

To my knowledge, the only band where the original members stayed together without ever breaking up (sit back down Aerosmith) for over 50 years and the only band together continuously longer than Neil, Ged and Al.

RIP Dusty.

U2 still has all their original members since the band formed in 1976.

Yeah U2 has outlasted Rush. 52 years for the Top

Edited by driventotheedge