Fordgalaxy

You could save a life  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Are you qualified to do CPR?

• Yes
    • No
    • IDK
    • Eww!

An aerospace engineer friend of mine who is also an EMT posted this meme a few weeks back with the comment, "Not too far off."

I'm not offering any comment on the efficacy of CPR here, myself. I was just a little surprised to see what he had to say about it.

LL8YrSq.jpg

• Like 3

It's the government's job to save lives.

Isn't that why I pay taxes? So someone else does this?

ur american tho so u mite hafta diy in other countries ppl r guaranteed cpr

I had loads of opportunities to learn CPR/First Aid over the last twenty years, but I made it extremely clear that a) I WOULD panic under pressure and b) I might have the wrong personality type to potentially have, in these hands, the power of life or death.
  • Like 1

An aerospace engineer friend of mine who is also an EMT posted this meme a few weeks back with the comment, "Not too far off."

I'm not offering any comment on the efficacy of CPR here, myself. I was just a little surprised to see what he had to say about it.

LL8YrSq.jpg

He's right...as someone who was an Offshore Medic for many years I had to deal with a number of Cardiac emegencies.

CPR by itself is basically a holding excercise until more advanced help arrives....although it is technically possible for cardiac output to return during manual CPR it is really pretty rare.

The definitive method is defibrillation.....contrary to what most people believe, a defib does not restart the heart, it stops it...the idea is that it allows the heart to realign it's disrupted conductive mechanism from "fibrillation" which is a conflicting series of electrical pulses that are causing the heart to flutter with no meaningful output to a more co-ordinated pulse governed by the sinoatrial node which will allow proper pumping function.

This however means that there has to be some electrical activity present (usually ventricular fibrillation) to allow this....the classic "flatline" (asystole) is non-shockable and treatment defaults to CPR and drugs....It is why early defib asap is essential as electrical activity will diminish fairly rapidly...even drug therapy such as adrenaline and Atropine is not 100% proven and should only be regarded as an adjunct to defib.

• Like 5

Certified, here. Always have been, since my teen years.

As Fridge notes, CPR is designed to raise the chances for survival if/when more advanced care arrives on the scene. The CPR process has been greatly simplified over the years, with chest compression basically being all you do.

• Like 3

Haven't you people ever even watched Baywatch?

:wtf:

No. I have much better or more important things to do with my valuable time.

Certified, here. Always have been, since my teen years.

As Fridge notes, CPR is designed to raise the chances for survival if/when more advanced care arrives on the scene. The CPR process has been greatly simplified over the years, with chest compression basically being all you do.

Yes this is true.....even with optimal technique, CPR will at best maintain about 33% of circulation, thus maintaining some perfusion of even partially oxenygated blood is far more important than rescue breaths.

Like listen to your Hasselhoff albums? Or does he rock too hard for you?

• Like 1

Like listen to your Hasselhoff albums? Or does he rock too hard for you?

I’m going to put this musical slurring of yours to rest once and for all.

Staying alive.

Whether you're a brother

Or whether you're a mother

Have been certified several times based on employment but not in the last 20 or so years. Still think I'd do a decent job if need be. Sure as hell wouldn't stand by and do nothing if I was the only one available cuz I hadn't been recently certified.

I did save a life applying the Heimlich one time.

• Like 3

Staying alive.

Whether you're a brother

Or whether you're a mother

Have been certified several times based on employment but not in the last 20 or so years. Still think I'd do a decent job if need be. Sure as hell wouldn't stand by and do nothing if I was the only one available cuz I hadn't been recently certified.

I did save a life applying the Heimlich one time.

IMO, as a fellow human, we should do what we can to help in almost any situation unless it would endanger us. The people, including 2 security guards, who did nothing as that Asian person was attacked and later died, are bottom of the barrel, detestable humans.

Edited by Fordgalaxy
  • Like 1

The CPR process has been greatly simplified over the years, with chest compression basically being all you do.

Rescue breaths are still taught in my CPR recertification courses: I've been told that the only reason they ever introduced the 'hands-only' method is because a lot of people were too squeamish to do rescue breaths, so they wanted to make it clear that compressions alone are still much better than nothing- if that's all you're comfortable doing. Rescue breaths do still increase survival odds.

Edited by KenJennings

The CPR process has been greatly simplified over the years, with chest compression basically being all you do.

Rescue breaths are still taught in my CPR recertification courses: I've been told that the only reason they ever introduced the 'hands-only' method is because a lot of people were too squeamish to do rescue breaths, so they wanted to make it clear that compressions alone are still much better than nothing- if that's all you're comfortable doing. Rescue breaths do still increase survival odds.

As a "Train the Trainer" in first aid matters, you are right to an extent....in a witnessed arrest, the body still has lots of oxygen and it is largely unneccessary.....it is actually quite a hard technique to pull off properly, and even trained people can sometimes struggle with it.

However, in unwitnessed and arrest caused by respiratory failure then they should be applied for obvious reasons.

Myself, I would always recommend using them if you are confident to do so and would certainly teach them, but it shouldn't prevent compression only cpr as an alternative.