Chick Corea RIP 1941-2021

RushFanForever

I'm sorry, to hear, see, and read this. He will be missed. My condolences, to his family, and friends. R.I.P., Armando (Chick).
  • Like 2

f**k! Chick is absolutely my favourite keyboard wizard and probably my favourite jazz player and composer. He seemed really healthy and doing great, performing his piano stuff on his youtube channel last year, giving lessons and practising. I was certain he'd last until he was about 100, late 90's at least :(
  • Like 4

Chick Corea, one of the most legendary pianists in the jazz music world, has died at the age of 79.

A rep for Corea said on his Facebook page that he died on Tuesday (February 9) from “a rare form of cancer which was only discovered very recently.”

Corea was the winner of 23 Grammy Awards and is number 8 on the list of most Grammys won ever. Before he died, he wrote a farewell message to fans.

Corea said in his statement, “I want to thank all of those along my journey who have helped keep the music fires burning bright. It is my hope that those who have an inkling to play, write, perform or otherwise, do so. If not for yourself then for the rest of us. It’s not only that the world needs more artists, it’s also just a lot of fun.”

He continued, “And to my amazing musician friends who have been like family to me as long as I’ve known you: It has been a blessing and an honor learning from and playing with all of you. My mission has always been to bring the joy of creating anywhere I could, and to have done so with all the artists that I admire so dearly—this has been the richness of my life.”

We’re sending our thoughts and condolences to Chick‘s loved ones during this difficult time.

• Like 3

Is it Geddy or Alex that likes him?

Geddy has mentioned listening to Bill Evans as noted here.

Evans never delved into the jazz-rock territory.

The only jazz-rock musician I've seen Geddy mention liking is bassist Jeff Berlin.

To quote Geddy from this 2019 interview here.

“When I was younger and more feverish about learning the instrument, I was so judgmental that anything I could understand from another bass player was no good. I tended to want to listen to the guys who left me in their dust.

“I’m listening to a lot of jazz, especially Bill Evans. He had about four different bass players. I have become sort of fascinated by him. … I don’t play standup bass, it is a very different animal. I have one and I make noise on it every once in a while. I have great respect for the great jazz standup players.”

“I don’t have a point of reference for that music, so when I hear it it’s like from another world. I get to try to analyse it from a whole different perspective and just enjoy it.”

Edited by RushFanForever

f**k! Chick is absolutely my favourite keyboard wizard and probably my favourite jazz player and composer. He seemed really healthy and doing great, performing his piano stuff on his youtube channel last year, giving lessons and practising. I was certain he'd last until he was about 100, late 90's at least :(

Yep, I've listened to a lot of his stuff since the '80s. Return To Forever, Elektric Band, etc. Even if you were into music but weren't into jazz or fusion you've probably heard of him. Huge loss for the music world.

• Like 6

Yep, I've listened to a lot of his stuff since the '80s. Return To Forever, Elektric Band, etc. Even if you were into music but weren't into jazz or fusion you've probably heard of him. Huge loss for the music world.

Here's one of my favourite youtube bits of Chick. This version is my favourite of Senor Mouse, and it's the keyboard solos I like best, although Gambale does a scorching solo too.

• Like 4

Oh no! Chick was phenomenal! Spain was one of the first pieces we played in my high school jazz band, and was always one of my favorites. That main riff was darn hard to nail down! I'm playing it now. Return To Forever was also a monstrous group. Featuring Al Di Meola!
  • Like 4

Here's another one of my favourite youtube bits of Chick. This is my favourite version of No Mystery, this time with Gary Burton. Both players are great here but Chick's on fire! The solos are great from Chick but I also love what he plays underneath when Gary is soloing, the same goes for the Return to Forever vid during Gambale's solo.

• Like 3

Saw this on Al DiMeola's FB page and stopped cold. I'm still in shock. RIP, Chick. Tomorrow will be a lot of No Mystery, The Chick Corea Elektric Band, and early Al.
  • Like 5