GeddysMullet

Tom Petty or Bruce Springsteen  

41 members have voted

1. 1. Who Do You Prefer?

• Tom Petty
    • Bruce Springsteen
    • It's a tie, they're both good!
    • It's a tie, I don't like either!

Very easily, Petty. But I’m surprised it’s this much of a blowout.

I'm not.

I thought there were at least a few more TRFers than just 1 (current # of Bruce votes) who prefer Springsteen...but maybe it’s just the accumulation of Segue’s Bruce praise posts that made me think it :LOL:

Blame me ������������������������������

To be honest, I think Petty is more accessible, but I don't think he truly comes close to Springsteen. I would trade all my Petty for The Wild, The Innocent And The E Street Shuffle alone.

Really, I’m surprised the Boss is being KO’d in this fashion :LOL:

well he's not that popular on TRF honestly.

Mick

• Like 1

Tom Petty all the way. Bruce is okay, but I just prefer Tom.

Favorite Petty Song: King of the Hill with Roger McGuinn

Favorite Springsteen Song: I'm on Fire

• Like 1

I've liked both the same. I think they are still similar. I'm glad to see there is "It's a tie, they're both good" option was included, which at the beginning, is how it should've been. Edited by Derek19

Springsteen - on the strength of the first 5 amazing albums and the 'force of nature' of an E Street Band live show. I was lucky enough to see them 3 times when Clarence 'The Big Man' Clemons was still alive .... superb shows all of 'em.
  • Like 3

Tom Petty and Bruce Springteen are story-teller mainstream rockers.

I would include John Fogerty, John Mellencamp, Bob Seger, Mark Knopfler, along with Tom Cochrane and Barney Bentall as well in the above category.

Edited by RushFanForever
  • Like 2

I'm not.

I thought there were at least a few more TRFers than just 1 (current # of Bruce votes) who prefer Springsteen...but maybe it’s just the accumulation of Segue’s Bruce praise posts that made me think it :LOL:

To be honest, I think Petty is more accessible, but I don't think he truly comes close to Springsteen. I would trade all my Petty for The Wild, The Innocent And The E Street Shuffle alone.

I feel sorry for Bruce. From the interviews I've watched, he appears to be a very unhappy man. His eyes look vacant to me.

He's had depression and has lost his greatest friends in death. His new record sounds hopeful though, and he spoke about recording it being some of the most fun he's ever, ever had. I think he's had some lows, and is finally coming out of it. Losing his best friend Clarence Clemons hit him ever so hard, he did most definitely lose a lot of his high spirits.

• Like 3

I'm not.

I feel sorry for Bruce. From the interviews I've watched, he appears to be a very unhappy man. His eyes look vacant to me.

He's had depression and has lost his greatest friends in death. His new record sounds hopeful though, and he spoke about recording it being some of the most fun he's ever, ever had. I think he's had some lows, and is finally coming out of it. Losing his best friend Clarence Clemons hit him ever so hard, he did most definitely lose a lot of his high spirits.

Yep, as we've discovered over the years with the suicides of famous people who presumably "had it all" like Kate Spade, Anthony Bourdain and Robin Williams, even with a so-called perfect life, depression doesn't care and can strike anyone. So yeah, Bruce (we're on a first name basis, lol) doesn't have the high spirits of the good old days, but at the same time, from what I saw on the Western Stars movie (which was gorgeously shot to go along with the gorgeous arrangements), he seems to be getting to a more contented place.

I'll be interested to see how this new album is.

• Like 1

This question came from a discussion I was having recently with a friend of mine about American artists, and I am curious as to what The Rush Forum thinks. I'm from New Jersey and thus am veritably expected to worship Springsteen, but I've never been a big fan. I haven't been able to call myself a big fan of Tom Petty overall since high school, and I truly never need to hear "Refugee" or "Breakdown" ever again, but there are a lot of Tom Petty songs that I really love. So, the Florida boy gets my vote. And I must mention the Heartbreakers, because even though I'd have to say that Full Moon Fever is my favourite Tom Petty album, the Heartbreakers are a huge part of why I have always preferred Petty to Springsteen. Especially the keyboard sounds.

I know two other male RUSH fans from New Jersey, who aren't Springsteen fans either.

There's a RUSH fan I used to communicate with from Ireland that doesn't like U2 either.

The Irish fan likes RUSH and Dire Straits as his two favourite bands.

Edited by RushFanForever
  • Like 1

I'm not.

I think he's caught in a spider's web. That and the fact that fame and fortune delivered things he never expected. But ... that's just my opinion.

I'm not.

But he's a rich bitch with everything a man could buy, women, booze, drugs, women, gold cufflinks, Rolex watch, girls, women, girls, money, dollars, coke, whiskey, rum, women, girls, greenbacks, silk sheets, booze, women, wine, women and song. And he's a megastar. How could he not be happy?

• Like 1

I recall Lorraine mentioning that she wasn't a fan of CCR.

CCR was an influence on both Springsteen and Petty.

I was listening to "Cabin Down Below" and it reminds me of a modern "Green River".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAZMPee1k5Q

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZBOJ7AnZrA

Edited by RushFanForever

I'm not.

But he's a rich bitch with everything a man could buy, women, booze, drugs, women, gold cufflinks, Rolex watch, girls, women, girls, money, dollars, coke, whiskey, rum, women, girls, greenbacks, silk sheets, booze, women, wine, women and song. And he's a megastar. How could he not be happy?

I take it you have never visited New Jersey.....

Lol

I kid

Don't care much for either but like Bruce more.

Bonus points for Santa claus is coming to town.

Tom has lots of great tunes but I would be happy to never hear last dance with Mary Jane again. For some reason that's the song I hear most often on radio. What a turd imo

Edited by tangy
  • Like 1

I'm not.

Probably not enough women

• Like 1

I'm west coast so I'm biased towards the nice Laurel Canyon Byrds esque sound of his. I got to appreciate Bruce as more than just baby boomer music when I heard Nebraska, DOTEOT and his album cuts. Tom Petty is one of those rare veterans who didn't try to act like he was hip with the kids by selling out like some (PAGING STEVEN TYLER!) rock stars. He was genuine and had integrity by sticking up for the (even the) losers and rebels and I respect him for that.

Although Petty has has some weak links like the dated sounding Let Me Up (I've Had Enough) which he thought less of anyways, they're nowhere near as embarrassing as Human Touch or Working On A Dream with that stupid and cliched Queen Of The Supermarket.

That's why I love Tom too - he was genuine, and he had a great sense of humor.

Those videos are proof of it like the underrated Make It Better video and Johnny Depp's most underrated performance in the ITGWO video.

"I'd like to tell you a story about Eddie and his adventures into the great wide open."

• Like 1

I'm not.

... doesn't make sense ..... gimme a quarter of that ...... please!!!!!
  • Like 1

I'm not.

A quarter of the girls? That’d probably only give a paltry few thousand. Is that enough?

• Like 1

I'm not.

A quarter of the girls? That’d probably only give a paltry few thousand. Is that enough?

I've been married 3 times..... girls, I've had a few..... but then again, too few to mention.....
  • Like 2