Do I Need this Kind of Negativity in My Life?

JohnRogers

As seen from a friend on Fakebook.

If you're going to be a drummer your whole life, it's probably better to be Charlies Watt than Neil Peart. No one can get too old for the stuff Charlie does.

Should I cut this person out of my life? He did officiate my wedding.

• Like 2

If you're going to be a drummer your whole life, it's probably better to be Charlies Watt than Neil Peart. No one can get too old for the stuff Charlie does.

Only if he tests positive for pubic lice.

Otherwise, live and let live.

• Like 2

There's only one reason to cut someone out of your life, that's not it, but you know what it is.

• Like 1

nobody can get too old for what Charlie does, because it’s not even CLOSE to what Neil did!
  • Like 4

I don't see the problem. It's not like what they're saying is wrong. One of the reasons Neil retired is that it was becoming too hard on his body to play like he did. Watts is like 80 and still tours. This person does have a point.
  • Like 10

If you're going to be a drummer your whole life, it's probably better to be Charlie Watt than Neil Peart. No one can get too old for the stuff Charlie does.

Give him this reply:

What would you choose: 60 years of drumming mediocrity or 50 years of drumming greatness?

• Like 7

I don't see the problem. It's not like what they're saying is wrong. One of the reasons Neil retired is that it was becoming too hard on his body to play like he did. Watts is like 80 and still tours. This person does have a point.

Right. I think it’s in the way someone interprets that.

One way, the defensive way, is that Watts was the better drummer and Peart was boring.

The other way, the way I actually think it was intended, is that Watts’ drumming is physically easier for the drummer. Hence, “no one can get too old for the stuff that Charlie does”.

• Like 6

There's only one reason to cut someone out of your life, that's not it, but you know what it is.

Blackhawks fan? :P

• Like 2

it is his opinion tho...
  • Like 2

If you're going to be a drummer your whole life, it's probably better to be Charlie Watt than Neil Peart. No one can get too old for the stuff Charlie does.

Give him this reply:

What would you choose: 60 years of drumming mediocrity or 50 years of drumming greatness?

Given the way Watts has played drums for the Stones, I would hardly call him mediocre.

• Like 4

No, but it's kind of Chicago related, though.

• Like 1

You could replace Charlie Watts with a drum machine.

Can't replace Neil with one...or another human for that matter.

Welllll.... you COULD replace Neil with a drum machine, but it would take you YEARS to program it... lol

• Like 2

Give him this reply:

Given the way Watts has played drums for the Stones, I would hardly call him mediocre.

Watts was the perfect drummer for the Stones. His drumming style was a perfect fit for the music they were making.

However, compared to other bands, the Stones didn't demand a lot from their drummer. It's all relative.

• Like 4

If you enjoy the physical activity of drumming, yeah, it's better to play an easier, more relaxed timekeeper style. You can do it more years.

If you want respect of your peers, then it's better to challenge yourself.

We guitarists don't have to make that choice.

• Like 1

If you enjoy the physical activity of drumming, yeah, it's better to play an easier, more relaxed timekeeper style. You can do it more years.

Watts doesn't have the respect of his peers?

• Like 4

Watts doesn't have the respect of his peers?

He certainly had the respect from Peart.

• Like 5

Oh.

Cubs fan!

• Like 2

Oh.

Cubs fan!

No. If someone invites you over for pizza. Then serves you some sloppy casserole that you need to use a knife and fork for to eat. Run and defriend them.

Oh.

Cubs fan!

No. If someone invites you over for pizza. Then serves you some sloppy casserole that you need to use a knife and fork for to eat. Run and defriend them.

Is pizza without provel cheese even pizza?

Enjoy the wedding but Charlie and the Stones are still going

• Like 1

@ JohnRogers - good of you to share, but are you really considering not being friends with them?

The real difference, to me, is not a comparison between the two drummers. Charlie is a drummer, percussionist, fits with the band rather perfectly.

But Neil? He was part of the show! We expected and waited for the "drum solo" every concert, each album. He was the primary lyricist, he wrote obsessively! The two are galaxies apart.

Rush: Three guys...vs. Rolling Stones: 5/6/7 guys? How many do they tour with?

And you reminded me of a moment when Neil writes (after so many uncomfortable dealings with fans showing up at his dressing room, etc.) that Charlie came to his room at a concert.

Charlie stands at the door. Neil is thinking...ugh, again? Charlie says "I'm Charlie Watts". Neil...Oh!

Edit: Oh, right - So I wonder if your friend was simply saying that he hopes you don't try to go "gang busters" and might burn out, but just have a good, long lasting career? Nothing about talent, just health wise.

Edited by Bahamas
  • Like 1

@ JohnRogers - good of you to share, but are you really considering not being friends with them?

No, just playing. ;)

Although my buddy Joe is out of his mind.