Most Overhated Bands (On This Forum)?

_hi_water._

Dream Theater.

They're 'next level' Rush. The Rush fans who don't understand that don't understand what they're hearing (with either band).

And the Rush fans who complain about LaBrie's vocals... really?? Cognitive dissonance much? :P

It’s Mike Portnoy that annoys me most about Dream Theater.

I think their past songwriting could’ve used some help, making it more concise and catchy.

I loved their last album, but they are no Rush. And Labrie is a fine singer.

Do you know Dream Theater has had one record sell 500k albums in the US? All sales in the US have amounted to 2 million albums sold. Roll The Bones did that on its own.

Edited by chemistry1973
  • Like 1

Dream Theater.

They're 'next level' Rush. The Rush fans who don't understand that don't understand what they're hearing (with either band).

And the Rush fans who complain about LaBrie's vocals... really?? Cognitive dissonance much? :P

I think their past songwriting could’ve used some help, making it more concise and catchy.

Do you know Dream Theater has had one record sell 500k albums in the US? All sales in the US have amounted to 2 million albums sold. Roll The Bones did that on its own.

Roll The Bones had three big hit singles with Dreamline, the title track and Ghost Of A Chance to help boost its sales a lot. Dream Theater doesn't really do singles that appeal to anyone beyond the dedicated metal audience.

Edited by J2112YYZ
  • Like 1

Dream Theater.

Roll The Bones had three big hit singles with Dreamline, the title track and Ghost Of A Chance to help boost its sales a lot. Dream Theater doesn't really do singles that appeal to anyone beyond the dedicated metal audience.

No question. I think they’re a killer band but I don’t think the comparison to Rush is that accurate.

I'd say most metal after the mid 1980s is pretty disliked here

SOME of the so called nu metal is worth listening to like Deftones (looks at avatar) and System Of A Down. I didn't think much of Slipknot until I saw that Sound City documentary by Dave Grohl.

I'd like to a Fear Factory and Static-X to that list. Maybe they're classified as Industrial Metal ?

I'd say most metal after the mid 1980s is pretty disliked here

SOME of the so called nu metal is worth listening to like Deftones (looks at avatar) and System Of A Down. I didn't think much of Slipknot until I saw that Sound City documentary by Dave Grohl.

I'd like to a Fear Factory and Static-X to that list. Maybe they're classified as Industrial Metal ?

I never thought Fear Factory was nu metal. Certainly more industrial than anything else. I don't think the nu metal label was even a thing until around the time they released their fourth album.

• Like 1

Disappointing to see this thread turned into a Dream Theater bashing thread out of nowhere.

Let's remove that energy, it's not necessary.

Dream Theater.

I like DT more than 70's Rush........there i said it.

Mick

Well it's nice to see many agree DT are overhated. The hate they got in this thread just proves the point even more.

And pretentious? DT have not always been great, but their finest work is no less pretentious than the title tracks to 2112 or Hemispheres, and Scenes From A Memory tells a far more coherent story than Clockwork Angels, and their lesser albums are more interesting to listen too than Test For Echo.

Amazes me that people feel the need to be outright hateful to fans of a band, in a thread called "most overhated bands", and then act like they have been affronted ������

Yeah...I enjoyed my time away, but I definitely missed most of you guys ������

Agree with all of this. DT are definitely overhated around here.

Edited by Entre_Perpetuo
  • Like 1

i'm convinced if DT's was a 70's band most of you would let john Petrucci butt fukk you.

it's all about distance from the 70's really, lol

Mick

I'd be interested in hearing more about this.

For me, I posted they're under-hated because I think they're horrible. I had literally never heard of them before I joined here, and I had heard of Burzum and Cannibal Corpse (not a fan of either). But here, they're beloved by quite a few, as some of the posts illustrate.

Anyways, I'm curious about what you mean by distance from the 70s.

i'm convinced if DT's was a 70's band most of you would let john Petrucci butt fukk you.

Mick

For me, I posted they're under-hated because I think they're horrible. I had literally never heard of them before I joined here, and I had heard of Burzum and Cannibal Corpse (not a fan of either). But here, they're beloved by quite a few, as some of the posts illustrate.

Do we have an under-hated thread?

If not I might start one!

I feel that female fronted modern metal bands get overlooked a lot on this forum, with most non-fan comments being very dismissive without even an attempt to listen.
  • Like 1

I feel that female fronted modern metal bands get overlooked a lot on this forum, with most non-fan comments being very dismissive without even an attempt to listen.

Yes.

Also, I think female fronted rock bands in general are overlooked by more than just this forum aside from a couple of exceptions (e.g. Heart, Fleetwood Mac).

Mick

Do we have an under-hated thread?

If not I might start one!

Under-hated is probably an aggravated form of overrated. But if we have an over-hated thread we could probably use the bookend.