POLL: Is Eric Clapton overrated?

Texas King

POLL: Is Eric Clapton overrated?  

32 members have voted

1. 1. POLL: Is Eric Clapton overrated?

The only time I listen to him is when I hear his songs on the radio. I never felt a need to buy any of his music, but one of his songs was in my piano book. (Tears in Heaven, of course)
  • Like 1

Any guitarist who is deified is overrated.

Any person who is deified is overrated.

• Like 5

Clapton in the early days of Cream and his other rock bands, very good. One of the rock players along who, along with Hendrix and Page and Beck, etc., paved the way for everyone who followed. His blues output from then till now, underwhelming. There's nothing he does blues-wise that 1000 other blues players can't do. And since that constitutes the bulk of his career, I have to vote overrated. I feel like his reputation is riding on the coattails of his early rock years.
  • Like 4

What aboot Jebus, or the Pope, or Mary, or Joseph Smith, or L. Ron?

side note, as a Christian, the only one of those who's is deified is Jesus. Or at least He's the only one who should be, anyone doing otherwise didn't read their Ten Commandments.

side note, as a Christian, the only one of those who's is deified is Jesus. Or at least He's the only one who should be, anyone doing otherwise didn't read their Ten Commandments.

Not that we want to get into a big religious discussion outside of SOCN, right? ;)

Not that we want to get into a big religious discussion outside of SOCN, right? ;)

hail satan :dweez: :fury:

• Like 1

clapton has been boring as hell since around the time my parents were born, but the influence of cream is pretty undeniable. when you inspire that many people, it puts you in that rare category up there with the stones, KISS, sabbath, many others who haven't done anything worthwhile in decades and decades but they get a pass just for being so legendary
  • Like 4

hail satan :dweez: :fury:

You heathen!

on a personal level I feel like clapton was made obsolete by hendrix the following year, and then blue cheer, led zeppelin, black sabbath, all those bands took heaviness and bluesy rock to greater heights. but cream are kinda like... the pong of heavy metal, I guess. they were the first

When in vacation in Seattle a few years ago, Clapton's 'brownie' guitar (Layla) was on display at the EMP Museum. :notworthy:

layla-derek-and-the-dominos-back-cover-Brownie.jpg

The guitar display was really cool, but other than that the EMP is a f***ing tourist trap (overrated).

Oh, and Clapton not overrated.

Edited by HemiBeers

Clapton in the early days of Cream and his other rock bands, very good. One of the rock players along who, along with Hendrix and Page and Beck, etc., paved the way for everyone who followed. His blues output from then till now, underwhelming.

The first part here is a yes, that! The second part less so, but I agree his reputation was created in those early days. Lots of guys shoot out of a cannon and then just coast. His longevity counts in his favor, too, a bit.

clapton has been boring as hell since around the time my parents were born, but the influence of cream is pretty undeniable. when you inspire that many people, it puts you in that rare category up there with the stones, KISS, sabbath, many others who haven't done anything worthwhile in decades and decades but they get a pass just for being so legendary

The Sabbath album 13 is killer. They imo do not belong in this category.

perhaps another guy that has kinda sucked/ leveled off once he sobered up?

I agree with your post. in a sense to me they "grandfathered" into the legendary status by virtue of past greatness.

musicans i like but you do not like are underrated

musicians we both like are rated fairly

musicans you like but i do not like are overrated

or something like that.................. :smoke:

• Like 1

Hard to say, because I think a lot of people tend to use "overrated" in the wrong setting. Clapton is obviously a great player, he's made his living doing it. Is there anything about his playing that no one else can replicate? I don't think so. Is there anything about his playing that particularly moves me? No.
  • Like 1

Clapton was good in Cream, The Yardbirds and The Bluesbreakers and as a guest (like on The White Album) but somewhere along the way he lost his motivation or desire. He sold out to become a pop singer who plays guitar a bit.

Clapton was good in Cream, The Yardbirds and The Bluesbreakers and as a guest (like on The White Album) but somewhere along the way he lost his motivation or desire. He sold out to become a pop singer who plays guitar a bit.

I think he decided songwriting was more interesting than learning new licks. To be fair, I love a good number of his solo songs, and his Unplugged album is great.