Your first indispensible band

What is the earliest rock music that you cannot do without?

This is what I mean: rock music existed in the 50s, and was important for what was to come later, but personally, I find it boring and I don't ever want to hear any of it.

But something happened in 1964. I can live without rock music before then, but I cannot imagine life without being able to listen to The Beatles.

• Like 3

I don't listen to much rock pre-65. Not to say I don't like or love any of it, I just don't listen to much of it.

For me currently, it's revisiting Huey Lewis and the News.

With the release of their latest album, I've gone back and rediscovered their old songs, which are upbeat with optimistic that's helping me cope..

Edited by RushFanForever

For me currently, it's revisiting Huey Lewis & The News.

With the release of their latest album, it's made me rediscover their old songs, which are upbeat with optimistic that's helping me cope..

You don't listen to anything pre-huey lewis and the news? (maybe read the OP again)

Does it have to be specific to the early 50's to early 60's? I don't want to post the wrong answer and screw up again.

Will the creator of modern music please stand up?

I think they're just asking what's the first band chronologically that you really love. I'm gonna guess for most people that band is The Beatles.

For me currently, it's revisiting Huey Lewis and the News.

With the release of their latest album, I've gone back and rediscovered their old songs, which are upbeat with optimistic that's helping me cope..

Sports is the first album I remember hearing when I was 3. My dad played it quite a bit.

My first love as a child was ABBA. My first rock obsession, Nirvana.

In 2005/6, my love for metal came into its own and I became Obsessed with multiple bands.

But it began with ABBA.

• Like 2

I didn't listen to music at all until I heard my parents playing Styx Classics Volume 15 CD at age 10. I remember I always wanted them to play the "song with the cool keyboard at the start" and thats how Blue Collar Man introduced me to my favorite band of all-time.

I regret not listening to Rush earlier, I really only started getting into Rush about 2 years ago

This is what I mean: rock music existed in the 50s, and was important for what was to come later, but personally, I find it boring and I don't ever want to hear any of it.

But something happened in 1964. I can live without rock music before then, but I cannot imagine life without being able to listen to The Beatles.

I would say The Beatles as well- even if I don’t listen to them often, every time I revisit them, it just blows me away (and perhaps even more so because I often do go for long stretches of time without listening to them).

What they did changed the landscape forever.

Bob Dylan pre-dates their recordings by a little bit...but you said ‘band’.

Edited by Blue J
  • Like 1

Exactly how I feel about it. I recognize that all of today's music built upon what came before. But most stuff prior to 64 and The Beatles, be it because of recording technology, or the style itself, I can't dig it. I'd go as far to say that if pop music and rock still sounded like that today, I probably wouldn't be a big fan.

Though, you can hear the pre-64 stuff rocking out sometimes. I'd point to Bill Haley and The Comets as one example. Ike Turner, was it Rocket 66?

As far as my first modern essential band? AC/DC. Before I loved Rush, AC/DC was my thing. Bon Scott RIP.

Oh I was dumb, I thought you meant first band we loved.the first indispensible band would likely be, not a band, but one man: Miles Davis. Add also all time great artists like Buddy Holly, Little Richard, Elvis Presley and many more...also a massive shout out to bands like The Beatles, The Kinks, The Beach Boys.

But honestly, I'd take Miles Davis and his affiliated legends of the era over most of these.

Anyone who thinks The Beatles are the first indispensible band really need to open their minds.

• Like 1

Even with the advent of The Beatles and the Brit Invasion, early Motown, and the beginning of Detroit Rock and Roll, it took one roaring, screaming, wah-wahing guitar solo, to make a band indespensible.

John Cippolina's (RIP) solo in The Fool, from the eponymous 1st album by Quicksilver Messenger Service.