USA vs England

Lucas

In General, Do You Feel More Connected To One Side Or The Other ?  

23 members have voted

1. 1. The USA vs England

• USA - after all, it all began here !!
    • England - you kiddin' me, look at that list of acts !!
    • BOTH - I like artists for both sides, so I have no preference

This doesn't necessarily have to be a musical war with each taking sides, but perhaps more of a timeline and enormous musical tree, with the roots, trunk and branches going all over ..

But is there a sort of unspoken rivalry ??

There has been a definite connection between the US of A and England going back to the days of Muddy Waters and Willie Dixon giving birth to The Stones and Yardbirds ( and countless others ) who in turn played a role in inspiring The New York Dolls and Aerosmith ..

Each band is different, each album, each song, but, in general, do you feel more bonded to one side of the pond than the other ??

In general, I lean towards the USA, as I feel most connected to the fire and rebellion that really came out during the late 60s early 70s attitude of The Stooges and New York Dolls, which to me embodied the attitude of its predecessors like Little Richard and The Sonics and lead to performers like KISS, The Ramones and Dead Boys ..

Hendrix - Clapton ??

Byrds - Beatles ??

Aerosmith - The Stones ??

Dylan - Donovan ??

Let's see where this goes

Had to vote both.

Priest, sabbath , maiden and pink floyd made me consider england

But there is also Hendrix and many others here

Think of all the great thrash bands from here in the states

Each side kinda had its own little genre, NWOBM vs thrash, etc

• Like 2

Yes- Starcastle

Camel- Symphony X

Marillion- Enchant

Genesis- Dream Theater

King Crimson- Kansas

ELP- STYX

Porcupine Tree- The Mars Volta

Pink Floyd- Queensryche

This is random, not comparing.

I'm going with ENGLAND! And I was born in the USA!

I watched a lot of American TV and films back in the 70's so I'm slightly Americanised!

For tv and movies, merica all the way

With honorable mention to benny hill tho

• Like 1

We got Queen, Black Sabbath, Pink Floyd, Magenta, Led Zeppelin, Bad Company, Marillion, The Beatles, King Crimson, Porcupine Tree, UFO, David Bowie and Lita Ford from England. That is most of my favorite bands/artist. Do I need to say who I vote for?
  • Like 1

We got Queen, Black Sabbath, Pink Floyd, Magenta, Led Zeppelin, Bad Company, Marillion, The Beatles, King Crimson, Porcupine Tree, UFO, David Bowie and Lita Ford from England. That is most of my favorite bands/artist. Do I need to say who I vote for?

I knew Lita Ford was born in England but I never thought of her as English. She grew up and/or spent most of her life in the USA yeah?

• Like 1

Both.

Hinds County, Mississippi gave us Charley Patton, which kicked off the whole palaver.

Fast forward through 40 years of the most amazing blues music & potent rock n roll and the UK sends the Brit blues band to the US. Talk about cross-pollination.

• Like 1

I knew Lita Ford was born in England but I never thought of her as English. She grew up and/or spent most of her life in the USA yeah?

That is true, but I do count her as english since she was born there.

• Like 1

Lucas I already made a thread like this: http://www.therushfo...sic-rock-bands/. :)

When it comes to classic rock BANDS (60's and 70's) UK beat USA by a wide margin. The Beatles, Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Black Sabbath, Deep Purple, Queen, The Who - 'nuff said. Plus add greatest prog rock bands which come from Britain, also glam and punk rock bands. UK is superior and it's not even close. US have The Doors, Beach Boys, Aerosmith, Van Halen, Guns N'Roses, CCR, Eagles, ZZ Top, Lynyrd Skynyrd and BOC as most notable bands.

When it comes to solo acts in rock US is more notable at it.

My personal preference are Brits, hands down, mainly because of hard rock, prog rock and heavy metal. And I really like a lot of US rock acts.

Edited by Texas King
  • Like 2

UK-UK.jpg King_Crimson_-_USA.jpg

U.K (by U.K.) and USA (by King Crimson) both feature John Wetton on bass and vocals....but I prefer USA

So many great American bands burn out fast.

The Velvet Underground

The Stooges

Big Star

New York Dolls

MC5

The above bands laid the blueprint for Punk, New Wave and Alternative music. They are as influential as any band. Any.

• Like 1

It really depends on the time. In the 60s and 70s, I have to give the nod to English bands (The Beatles, The Stones). In the early 80s, the NWOBHM bands (Maiden, Leppard) were my preference, although Van Halen is one of my all time favorite bands and that was their best period. Over time American metal bands (Ratt, GNR, Motley Crue) and American "grunge" bands (Alice in Chains, Soundgarden, Nirvana) were more my speed. Edited by Rick N. Backer
  • Like 1

Band wise its a tie for me.

In terms of which country has produced the most guitar gods its not even close in my eyes.

USA blows away the uk in terms of innovation imo.

Chuck berry

Hendrix ( i know he became famous in england)

Eddie van halen

Steve vai

Joe Satriani

Tosin abasi

Buckethead

Bo diddley

Bb king

Etc etc

• Like 2

English bands win for the 60s and 70s. American bands really helped shape the punk/post punk/ grunge sound.

Husker du

The Pixies

REM

Sonic Youth

Black Flag

The Minuteman

The Replacements

The big black eye for America was the sunset strip hair metal scene. Those bands were mostly an embarrassment

Blues and Jazz are American born.

Edited by Xanadoood
  • Like 3

English bands win for the 60s and 70s. American bands really helped shape the punk/post punk/ grunge sound.

Husker du

The Pixies

REM

Sonic Youth

Black Flag

The Minuteman

The Replacements

The big black eye for America was the sunset strip hair metal scene. Those bands were mostly an embarrassment

Blues and Jazz are American born.

Indeed. As are rap and bluegrass.

I guess so is country/western?