Presto, Why All Of The Hate??

JohnRogers

I think the Presto is on its own little island stylistically for the band. It didn't really come across as a natural progression between HYF and RTB. It has definitely grown on me over the years. For the longest time, I thought it was just "blah".

When I heard they were playing "Presto" on the Time Machine tour, I knew I had to go. I was always disappointed that they didn't play that song on the original Presto tour (and I would love to know why they didn't).

Presto was kind of a step back from the progression to the "world's smallest symphony orchestra." The songs really worked live. I'd still love to hear more of what Rupert Hine was thinking when he was involved. The doc doesn't really answer a lot of questions.

Edited by ytserush

Of the post-Moving Pictures era, does anyone think that Presto got the least love by the band in live performance? It seems like any love-affair that the band had for the songs diminished pretty quickly.

I've always said it was the mid-life crisis tour.

The Presto songs sounded great. It was most of the rest of the set that sucked. I know they claim they enjoyed the tour and inspired them to continue, but I never saw that. I saw a lot of auto-pilot on that tour.

Take Subdivisions for example. I thought it was a major screw-up at the beginning, but it was done the entire tour that way. I still don't get that.

Maybe one of our bass-playing members could load all of Presto into a recording program, play along with all the bass parts, and mix it together so the album has great bass sonics. Then share.
  • Like 1

Presto feels like an album made by three strangers who all played to click tracks and had no ability to achieve erections ..

Limp dick rock

Bunnyrabbit rock.

Presto is about as far from being the kickass RUSH we knew in the 70's as they ever got.

Pansy rock.

Madrigal was not on Presto.

Of the post-Moving Pictures era, does anyone think that Presto got the least love by the band in live performance? It seems like any love-affair that the band had for the songs diminished pretty quickly.

The Presto songs sounded great. It was most of the rest of the set that sucked. I know they claim they enjoyed the tour and inspired them to continue, but I never saw that. I saw a lot of auto-pilot on that tour.

Take Subdivisions for example. I thought it was a major screw-up at the beginning, but it was done the entire tour that way. I still don't get that.

I thought the tour had great energy and a killer setlist. Freewill was back! :haz:

“Force Ten”

“Freewill”

“Distant Early Warning”

“Time Stand Still”

“Subdivisions”

“Marathon”

“Red Barchetta”

“Superconductor”

“Show Don’t Tell” (preceded “Superconductor” until February 22nd, 1990)

“The Pass”

“Closer To The Heart”

“Manhattan Project”

“Xanadu”

“YYZ”

“The Rhythm Method” (Drum solo)

“Scars”

“War Paint”

“Mission”

“Tom Sawyer”

“The Big Money” (replaced by “The Spirit Of Radio” on April 2nd, 1990.)

“2112” (Overture)

“La Villa Strangiato”

“In The Mood”

“Wipeout!”

•  

Edited by goose
  • Like 1

at the time i went through a phase where i loved all the 80s synth stuff with the lighter feel thought was perfect for the band at that time and still do, by the time counterparts came along though i was glad the heavier sound was back to blow the synth era well outa the water. Roll The Bones was just about enough. i very rarely listen to HYF etc these days, partly because it listened to it so much but also partly because it sounds a touch dated, I gave Counterparts a good play last night actually, still fresh as a daisy, could have done with another just like it with the same punch.

presto's a great album, the 'tinny' sound to it is what the band wanted to accentuate vocals & lyrics apparently so i'll take that, is what it is. musically though, song arrangement wise is just another perfect rush album the band on fire.

• Like 2

When it first came out I was not thrilled with it. Not at all.

However, over the years I have come to realize what an amazing piece of art it is. Lyrics are great. Music is fine. Production, might be thin but it fits perfectly with the lyrics and music. In other words, the production is wonderful. Geddy's vocals are great.

Not a bad song on the album. More than that, every song on the album is very good. Its actually the last Rush albums I can say that about. RTB was weak. TFE had a couple of horrible dogs mixed in with a fair number of good, solid songs. Counterparts was very good but not quite at same level as Presto. Almost but not quite. VT - yuck. S&A is very, very good but has a couple of weak songs near the end. CA - the 2nd half is fine but the first half is not that great.

I used to think Rush's run of great albums ended with HYF but through the years I have come to realize it continued through Presto.

As for the tour. First Rush tour I ever saw. Thought it was great at the time and still think so.

• Like 2

Love the Album Overall- It is way to trebelly-- surprised as it was done at Morin Heights-usually near perfect past results

something must have happened to the final mix needs more Bass- less Mid range less Trebel.

Somebody must have had the settings off but not notice it in the playback- great songs though

• Like 1

The mobile fidelity release has more bass, more punch,making a great album sound even better. " sun dogs fire on the horizon,meteor rain stares across the night, this moment may be brief, but it can be so bright, reflected in another source of light, when the moment dies, the spark still flies, reflected in another pair of eyes-----------------------that,s nice :rush:
  • Like 1

probably because it sounds much different from their older stuff. it's not quite synth heavy but it's also not quit rock heavy either. i still love it though.
  • Like 2

Stop it haters. STOP IT NOW OR ILL GET ANGRY. YOU WONT LIKE ME WHEN IM ANGRY.

Can we get back to hating Presto please?

No. Stop it now.

That's rude. :(

Really guys. Can you just leave me alone and stop mocking me and the threads I make?

I do not know why you guys like to keep picking on me, but I do not like it.

Does it make you guys feel better to pick on me?

I am only 15 and I joined TRF to chat about :rush: , not to get made fun of.

Edited by Surrender74
  • Like 2

No. Stop it now.

Really guys. Can you just leave me alone and stop mocking me and the threads I make?

I got mocked all the time for a while.

It's part of the fun.

Don't be so sensitive.

No. Stop it now.

I got mocked all the time for a while.

It's part of the fun.

Don't be so sensitive.

It is not fun to me

I think there is (or at least there is, in my mind) a code of morals or etiquette that should go along with posting comments on any public forum. No one should have to put up with being mocked, or bullied, or whatever the case may be. Just because it has happened to some people who have 'gotten through it', does not mean that it should be considered okay to do to someone else. Or anybody else.

I think a lot of us have posted things that we're not proud of. And Surrender, there are things I've seen that you've posted that I thought were kind of uncool as well, and I think you have a good amount of growing to do. But in this case, I think you are absolutely correct. We're all here (especially in this section of the forum) to talk about the music we love...or don't love. Adults taking part in mocking, and making a 15-year old feel ridiculed, is pointless and inexcusable.

People get to know each other to an extent, and in certain particular ways, just by spending time posting, and expressing ideas that other people read. And there's a rapport that develops that lets certain people know that it's okay to be sarcastic, and playfully giving somebody some grief, which isn't mean spirited at all.

But when someone is earnestly saying please don't do this, because it's hurting me, I think that ought to be heeded by any rational, mature person.

Guests read the comments on TRF all the time. And sarcasm, or mean-spiritedness, will only attract more of the same. Personally, I don't want more people to join here if that's what's going to attract them. We don't need more of that.

Okay, rant over.

Edited by Blue J
  • Like 5

Presto is music of such greatness that the band should have followed up with a Presto II about a year later. I'm sure Rubert Hine would have worked it into his schedule.
  • Like 1

I thought the tour had great energy and a killer setlist. Freewill was back! :haz:

“Force Ten”

“Freewill”

“Distant Early Warning”

“Time Stand Still”

“Subdivisions”

“Marathon”

“Red Barchetta”

“Superconductor”

“Show Don’t Tell” (preceded “Superconductor” until February 22nd, 1990)

“The Pass”

“Closer To The Heart”

“Manhattan Project”

“Xanadu”

“YYZ”

“The Rhythm Method” (Drum solo)

“Scars”

“War Paint”

“Mission”

“Tom Sawyer”

“The Big Money” (replaced by “The Spirit Of Radio” on April 2nd, 1990.)

“2112” (Overture)

“La Villa Strangiato”

“In The Mood”

“Wipeout!”

Nice.

Except that Freewill ends after the instrumental break..... At least it didn't go into Superconductor.