Vapor Trails vs Snakes & Arrows vs Clockwork Angels

YYZumbi

71 members have voted

1. 1. Which album of these three do you think is best?

I listened to VT last night to be open........there is not 1 single track i enjoy. 1 of only 2 Rush albums i can say that for.

God. I want to like it.......but it's not to be and....i'm fine with it.

Mick

Why do we feel compelled to like everything Rush has done? They're only human. They don't have 19 winning and stunning albums. Talented men they are, but even talent has limits.

If you don't like an album, you don't like it. Why force it? And why let others who do like it intimidate any one of us, or try to shame any one of us, into liking it?

:angel:

Ahem…weren't you the one who suggested locking me up in a padded room with Hemispheres on replay until I'd admit it wasn't a piece of garbage (which it is)?

I chose Clockwork Angels.

Every song on Clockwork Angels is good. They aren't all "the best," but they are still are very good songs, and the story is great. Vapor Trails has some absolutely phenomenal songs on it, some my personal favorites (OLV, How It Is, Vapor Trail), but it also has some pretty weak songs, which dilutes it. Snakes and Arrows also has some great songs on it, but "Good News First" and "Bravest Face" kinda kill it. The songs on that album decrease in quality as the track list goes on.

• Like 1

Clockwork is a masterpiece. The tour with the orchestra was amazing. Snakes is second, Trails third.

Vapor Trails is the better overall collection of songs. Snakes sounds the best. Clockwork has the highest highs.

I voted VT.

highest as in best or as in... :smoke:

• Like 1

Vapor Trails is the better overall collection of songs. Snakes sounds the best. Clockwork has the highest highs.

I voted VT.

highest as in best or as in... :smoke:

I pretty much agree with all of goose’s points. CA has the highest moments...but has some tunes that annoy me. Snakes might sound good but that doesn’t help me much when I dislike 75% of the songs. VT has a few good songs, a few ok ones, and a few that are forgettable...but none that I find annoying. I still voted CA but mainly due to the highs of Anarchist, Headlong, and the title track.

• Like 1

CA is a wonderful closer to a career.

VT has some transcendent moments and is on balance their second best offering since 1984.

The only purpose Snakes ever served is to keep those with severe diarrhea from missing anything worth hearing if they were stricken with a bout toward the end of the intermission on the S&A tour.

Edited by laughedatbytime
  • Like 1

VT has some transcendent moments and is on balance their second best offering since 1984.

The only purpose Snakes ever served is to keep those with severe diarrhea from missing anything worth hearing if they were stricken with a bout toward the end of the intermission on the S&A tour.

I think your main problem with Snakes & Arrows is the speed... right?

Subject matter as well, I am guessing.

What if you went on YouTube, went to the very slow songs, and sped the songs up?

What if you went on YouTube, went to the very slow songs, and sped the songs up?

I just tried it, it's actually fun

It's less the subject matter than the preachiness. We get it, Neil, you're an atheist, and you think religion is a malignant force. You already said so, in far better ways, set to virtually infinitely better music.

But the main problem is the tempo of the music. I think I run faster in my dreams trying to get away from the bear than this sludgefest moves.

Edited by laughedatbytime
  • Like 2

It's less the subject matter than the preachiness. We get it, Neil, you're an atheist, and you think religion is a malignant force. You already said so, in far better ways, set to virtually infinitely better music.

But the main problem is the tempo of the music. I think I run faster in my dreams trying to get away from the bear than this sludgefest moves.

Understandable.

You should at least try one song from S&A on YouTube and speed it up to 1.25, it's actually fun

Laughedatbytime nailed why I don't like Snakes aside from Far Cry and maybe Malignant Narc

Its not just the uncreative mid tempo songs that are missing Rush's signature goofy time signatures and "I wasn't expecting THAT..." twists and turns their classic material have. It was that combined with yet another album of Neil's lyrics which came across as bitter anti-religious 'The world is scary and people are mean' rants. Of which we already got with Vapor Trails previously. Only this time set to boring folk meets mid tempo rock music. At least VT had energy and passion. Lots of it. Snakes is the worst thing you can accuse a rock album of which is being boring and instantly forgettable.I hate Speed Of Love but I remember how it goes. Songs like Bravest Face /Faithless/Good News First I still can't really recall how they go even 13 years on because they're all so bland and uninteresting

• Like 2

Despite the utterly disappointing One Little Victory, the rest of the album is gold, especially with the remix.

Even with all the ridiculous edits, you can tell the band is so energized. Enthusiasm permeates the record. And some really cutting lyrics. Vapor Trail is so beautiful.

Aside from 3 really great tracks, S/A is a dreary slog.

CA has absolutely stunning moments but it is hampered by a shit mix and bad editing. Some songs could’ve been tightened up. Lifeson is so brilliant here. But VT’s songs are much stronger.

Despite the utterly disappointing One Little Victory, the rest of the album is gold, especially with the remix.

How is One Little Victory disappointing?

How is One Little Victory disappointing?

I can’t stand it. The lyrics are so awkward - and I don’t like arrangement either. Vocals seem to be cut and paste into the song. I really dig the rest of the album though.

Even with all the ridiculous edits, you can tell the band is so energized. Enthusiasm permeates the record. And some really cutting lyrics. Vapor Trail is so beautiful.

Aside from 3 really great tracks, S/A is a dreary slog.

CA has absolutely stunning moments but it is hampered by a shit mix and bad editing. Some songs could’ve been tightened up. Lifeson is so brilliant here. But VT’s songs are much stronger.

:goodone:
  • Like 1