What's everyone using for virus/malware protection?

Maverick

Comcast/Xfinity stopped supporting the Norton suite that they had been providing for free for the last several years. They say they are protecting my home Wi-Fi, but I don't think I'm covered for browsing on my PC.

Thanks!

I use the free version of Bitdefender for anti-virus and both Super Anti-Spyware and Spyware Blaster for that stuff.

Thanks! I'll check those out.

I was using some free software for a while, years ago. Actually, I think I heard about it here. But then Comcast was giving its users free Norton. And I got a new PC as well, so it just made sense.

I bought a Chromebook to reduce that concern. I still have my other two laptops to worry about though, and usually use Kaspersky. but there are some perfectly serviceable free downloads out there.
  • Like 2

My main rig, I am using Fedora. Not running as root, so there's that.

For Windows, the default Microsoft stuff which is really good. Plus Malwarebytes and to a lesser extent I still scan with Spybot S&D.

Edited by grep

My main rig, I am using Fedora. Not running as root, so there's that.

For Windows, the default Microsoft stuff which is really good. Plus Malwarebytes and to a lesser extent I still scan with Spybot S&D.

Still the same deal.

Been experimenting with throwaway virtual machines. The idea being to do 'risky' browsing in a throwaway VM. So that even if a malware takes root it just gets blown away when I shut down. Next time I start the VM it's a fresh copy. No malware, if any happened to install on the last run. Which also removes the need to scan.

Downside is that it involves making a copy of the baselined system virtual disk at startup.

Edited by grep