• Roll The Bones
    • Counterparts
    • Test For Echo
    • Vapor Trails
    • Feedback
    • Snakes & Arrows
    • Clockwork Angels
    • None! Rush doesn't make bad albums!

I said Hold Your Fire...w/ only 3 songs that I'll even listen to, Force Ten, Time Stand Still, Turn the Page. The rest I consider filler, with one, Mission, I consider cringeworthy. Yes, cringeworthy...the first a capella strains are well-nigh unlistenable to me and will send me fleeing to the off/next button or suddenly finding the urgency to take a pee break should I be listening to it in a live forum. Yeah, I don't much like this album. And it's the first one on the list where I actively dislike more than half of the content on there.
  • Like 4

I said Hold Your Fire...w/ only 3 songs that I'll even listen to, Force Ten, Time Stand Still, Turn the Page. The rest I consider filler, with one, Mission, I consider cringeworthy. Yes, cringeworthy...the first a capella strains are well-nigh unlistenable to me and will send me fleeing to the off/next button or suddenly finding the urgency to take a pee break should I be listening to it in a live forum. Yeah, I don't much like this album. And it's the first one on the list where I actively dislike more than half of the content on there.

I reflexively want to say HYF -- the whole "adult contemporary" vibe makes it an easy target. Over the years I found myself liking more songs from HYF than I did years ago (while still hating the ones I hated from the beginning). I actually like more songs from that album that I do on Presto. Show Don't Tell, Chain Lightning, The Pass and Presto are it. I find the other seven songs unbearable.

• Like 2

IMO. Roll The Bones. i know it's got it's fans but......yeesh.

Mick

RTB is in second place for me behind Presto, and it's a close second.

Actually, the more I think about it, those two might be 1a and 1b. I really only like three songs, Dreamline, Where's My Thing? and Ghost of a Chance, and that's one less than Presto. But this thread is about which is the first bad album, and Presto came before RTB, so my vote stands.

• Like 1

Post Signals, for me there were a couple of disappointing albums.

But the first album I really struggled with was Presto.

In fact I would say that it is my least favourite of all Rush albums.

• Like 2

Hold Your Fire was the first album I was disappointed with after my first listen. I tried hard and played it a lot for about six months, then went back to MP, PeW, GUP, PW, AFtK, etc. When I went away the next year, I initially didn't take that cassette with me, and I didn't miss it.
  • Like 1

Well, since an album I really like, Presto, is taking a beating I'll chime in predictably against the disjointed mess that is A Farewell to Kings. Two good songs, with the balance being equal parts overly ambitious and laughably sophomoric.

:ph34r:

RTB......utter, utter shite.

And here was I thinking you were a big fan of the Roll the Bones "rap"...

“Fridge, relax! Get busy with the crap”

The rap becomes more and more shite over the years.

I blame Rupert Hine for allowing them to do that. If I'd have been the producer I'd have said, "you're not doing that on one of my records."

• Like 4

Hold Your Fire was the first album I didn't think was as good as the last album. First Rush album I had trouble with liking a song was Roll The Bones...and the song...Heresy.
  • Like 1

RTB......utter, utter shite.

And here was I thinking you were a big fan of the Roll the Bones "rap"...

“Fridge, relax! Get busy with the crap”

The rap becomes more and more shite over the years.

I blame Rupert Hine for allowing them to do that. If I'd have been the producer I'd have said, "you're not doing that on one of my records."

As producer I would’ve said, “Boys, I know you’re just takin’ the piss with this rap but it’s got to go.”

• Like 2

Bones. 3 songs are good or better, 3 are bad or worse, the remaining 4 are basically, not-totally crap filler

This, but in my opinion it is half good and half trash.

To me, The Big Wheel is the quintessential filler song. I don’t feel it’s particularly annoying or bad but if it never existed i would’ve been totally good with that.

YBYL, on the other hand, became my least liked Rush song and remained as such until some baddies on Snakes came out. I had Bones playing in the house a month or so ago and when YBYL came on I went to go vacuum. Vacuuming is better than YBYL! :P

Bones. 3 songs are good or better, 3 are bad or worse, the remaining 4 are basically, not-totally crap filler

To me, The Big Wheel is the quintessential filler song. I don’t feel it’s particularly annoying or bad but if it never existed i would’ve been totally good with that.

YBYL, on the other hand, became my least liked Rush song and remained as such until some baddies on Snakes came out. I had Bones playing in the house a month or so ago and when YBYL came on I went to go vacuum. Vacuuming is better than YBYL! :P

at least a vacuum can be helpful for your everyday life :LOL:
  • Like 1

at least a vacuum can be helpful for your everyday life :LOL:

What do YBYL and a vacuum have in common?

They both suck!

:P