Worst Voices in Music

Wow I'm shocked. Peter Gabriel, cat Stevens, Neil diamond?

yeah, lol. That's goofy.

As much as I love Neil Young and Pil/sex pistols, Neil and Johnny Lydon have god awful voices.

However, just like Lemmy, their vocals go so well with what they're doing musically.

that's the key. A lot of these people do have god awful voices.

but it works for what they write.

Mick

it also helps if you know how to sing. If you know what you're doing, you can make up for a bad voice.

John Lydon knows how to sing, his voice is just a mess. And I know I'm blaspheming here, but Geddy has and always has had a horrid voice, like two alley cats fugging, but he knows how to sing and his voice always blended with what they were putting on the sheet music.

I don't sing for a reason, never have, never will. Not even backup. I would sound like Lerch

• Like 1

I really can't think of any actually. If they honestly can't work their voice to the music pretty consistently, I don't think they get enough attention to be popular enough for me to notice, and then most all the ones I didn't used to like at all I've grown to appreciate.
  • Like 1

yeah, lol. That's goofy.

As much as I love Neil Young and Pil/sex pistols, Neil and Johnny Lydon have god awful voices.

However, just like Lemmy, their vocals go so well with what they're doing musically.

Mick

it also helps if you know how to sing. If you know what you're doing, you can make up for a bad voice.

John Lydon knows how to sing, his voice is just a mess. And I know I'm blaspheming here, but Geddy has and always has had a horrid voice, like two alley cats fugging, but he knows how to sing and his voice always blended with what they were putting on the sheet music.

I don't sing for a reason, never have, never will. Not even backup. I would sound like Lerch

i agree......but.......Ged Ruined his voice in the long run by singing like that.

he had horrible technique in the 70's.

just screamed basically, lol

Mick

• Like 1

yeah, lol. That's goofy.

Mick

i agree......but.......Ged Ruined his voice in the long run by singing like that.

Mick

I agree. He really learned how to sing in his late 20s, but the damage had been done by screaming 200 nights a year for a decade.
  • Like 1

yeah, lol. That's goofy.

Mick

Mick

I agree. He really learned how to sing in his late 20s, but the damage had been done by screaming 200 nights a year for a decade.

I agree with the both of you.

Lucas, did I ever mention the time a friend of mine walked into his living room one morning only to find Lemmy crashed out on his couch, with a burned out smoldering cigarette between his fingers.

No !!

Let's hear about it

• Like 1

Lucas, did I ever mention the time a friend of mine walked into his living room one morning only to find Lemmy crashed out on his couch, with a burned out smoldering cigarette between his fingers.

No !!

Let's hear about it

I just told you about it.

Anyone saying Peter Gabriel needs new ears. He has one of the best voices in rock ever.

Some of the worst:

Axl Rose

Bob Dylan

Neil Young

It's not simply his voice .. he so damn pretentious

No !!

Let's hear about it

I just told you about it.

How did your friend know him ??

How did it happen ?

I've never had anyone just wander into my house and fall asleep

Unless many of you are talking aboot performing live you seem to have no grasp on the meaning of "worst".

How Neil Diamond makes anybody's list confounds me.

• Like 3

Lemmy

Prince

Axl Rose

Freddie Mercury

Mariah Carey

Unless many of you are talking aboot performing live you seem to have no grasp on the meaning of "worst".

How Neil Diamond makes anybody's list confounds me.

I find him to be a horrible singer. He has written some catchy songs, but overall his discography is pretty cringe worthy. How anyone hears otherwise confounds me.

Always:

Axl Rose

Billy Corgan

Layne Staley

+ anyone who is contriving to put forward emotion in a goofy way by making the voice all scratchy in the first syllable or anyone who sounds like a muppet

Sometimes:

Rik Emmett (and Gil Moore)

Brian Johnson

Joe Elliott

Kate Bush...

Of course there are others. I'm a pretty picky bastard when it comes to music.

Edited by toymaker
  • Like 1

Lemmy

Prince

Axl Rose

Freddie Mercury

Mariah Carey

now you're trolling a bit :)

Nope

yeah, lol. That's goofy.

Mick

Mick

I agree with the both of you.

And I find that quite agreeable :)
  • Like 1

Vocals are really so unimportant in rock, contrary to what some want to think and insist upon. I will say that certain vocalists define their bands, but even great front me like DL Roth and Freddie Mercury have been replaced and there is a lot of debate about whether Van Halen actually got better. But, if Geddy had simply said I want to play my music, let's hire a singer, we'd all still love Rush, most likely.

Vocals mostly compliment rock music, unless you're Tom Jones or Elvis or someone who was designed to be the focal point and the music is secondary. Bad vocals can even make some music more appealing and edgy, like Neil Young, John Lydon, Lemmy, Jello Biafra...

Really, some people are so into the vocals that they disregard the music and others let vocals define whether or not they like a band and often can't get past an unappealing sound. I have run across a lot of people who cannot deal with Rush and the preponderance are because of Ged's voice.

I have never let the sound of a person's voice dictate whether or not i like the band, it's always the music. To me, vocals are a condiment and only enhance the music and often, that condiment is anchovies, but even that makes a Cesar salad taste better. So in other words, a putrid sound works in the right situation.

• Like 1