Worst Voices in Music

Way back in the dark ages, the rumor floating around was that Bob Dylan had lost his singing voice on account of the motorcycle accident he had, and that's why his voice sounded so different on Lay Lady Lay.
  • Like 1

I think for a singer to be popular they have to have a distinctive voice more than they need to have a good voice.

Regardless here's some voices I really don't like, and there's plenty cause i'm judgy, regardless of the artist's importance or talent:

Liam Gallagher

Tarja Turunen

Matt Bellamy

James LaBrie (I actually like James but his vocal tone is distinctly grating)

Lacuna Coil's male singer

Sascha Konietzko

Lucia Cifarelli

Lady Gaga

Gwen Stefani

And I like Fish but I kinda really like Hogarth way better so idk whether to include him or not as well.

And Geddy really does sound annoying on a lot of songs post-1986

Edited by Day of Light

There's something about James Hetfield's voice that has always grated with me.
  • Like 3

I think for a singer to be popular they have to have a distinctive voice more than they need to have a good voice.

Regardless here's some voices I really don't like, and there's plenty cause i'm judgy, regardless of the artist's importance or talent:

Liam Gallagher

Tarja Turunen

Matt Bellamy

Sascha Konietzko

Lucia Cifarelli

Lady Gaga

Gwen Stefani

And I like Fish but I kinda really like Hogarth way better so idk whether to include him or not as well.

Agreed to all but your last statement is preposterous.

• Like 1

Lemmy

/thread

*mic drop*

Nope

that thud was not the mic dropping, it was the swift kick you just received in the 'nads

hey I love Lemmy, if it wasn't for the fact that he started his own band he would never be a lead singer.

Lemmy was an awful singer. No range. Lousy technique. But, he was a great Rock star. That makes up for a lot.

That reminds me of the line from My Favorite Year when Alan Swann (Peter O'Toole) cries out "I'm not an actor, Im a movie star"!!

• Like 1

Bjork's vocal quality puts me on edge, although I deeply respect her music as art. I pretty much like most other vocalists. Edited by blueschica

For me, it's all about sincerity, and not so much vocal chops

And when we're talking progressive rock and some of the more high brow charter school music, there is a very definite risk of setting the "Pretentious Meter" into the red

A singer can be considered rock, country, pop, prog whatever, and if they do it with sincerity, I'll like it - warts and all

Edited by Lucas

Liam Gallagher

Tarja Turunen

Matt Bellamy

Sascha Konietzko

Lucia Cifarelli

Lady Gaga

Gwen Stefani

Agreed to all but your last statement is preposterous.

Tarja Turunen...if you dislike her with Nightwish, her subsequent solo career will really set your teeth in edge.

Awful...

I am a Nightwish fan, and not at all because if Tarja!

As for Andrea Ferro, I am loving his recent work with Lacuna Coil more than I anticipated. He has always been a better growler than singer, so I am pleased he is doing more of that!

And you know I love No Doubt. But I still agree with your inclusion of her.

Edited by Segue Myles

Bjork's vocal quality puts me on edge, although I deeply respect her music as art. I pretty much like most other vocalists.

Björk and Kate Bush both have a sound that equally challenges me as a listener at times.

But for some reason, especially with Björk, I find it so unique I really don't mind!

• Like 1

Jessie J

Her voice and her over singing makes my skin crawl.

• Like 1

Dennis DeYoung

Mick would say yes...I can't say I disagree but I tolerate him up until Kilroy Was Here.

Not sure that's really a good thing if I have to use the word "tolerate", but it is true!

Lemmy

/thread

*mic drop*

Nope

that thud was not the mic dropping, it was the swift kick you just received in the 'nads

hey I love Lemmy, if it wasn't for the fact that he started his own band he would never be a lead singer.

Lemmy was an awful singer. No range. Lousy technique. But, he was a great Rock star. That makes up for a lot.

That reminds me of the line from My Favorite Year when Alan Swann (Peter O'Toole) cries out "I'm not an actor, I'm a movie star"!!

Indeed.......you don't have to be a good singer to succeed in Rock & Roll. All you have to do is convey the emotions of the song. If you can show passion, or rage, or sadness, or joy, then you can become a star! Your audience won't care if you have a half-octave range, or if you can barely hold a note for two seconds.....

And if you're Jon Anderson, you can take your weak voice and ramble on about any abstract, non-sensical subject, and your fans will LOVE IT!! :LOL: :lol:

Singers I think are dreadful, but are saved by their genius:

Tom Waits

Leonard Cohen

Billy Corgan

I can take all three IF I am in the right mood.

Singers I love who I can admit are far from perfect vocally:

Bruce Springsteen

Andrea Ferro

Stevie Nicks

Taylor Swift

Gwen Stefani

Singers who I know are talented but I just cannot stand:

Jessie J

Prince

Axl Rose

Freddie Mercury

Lemmy

Mariah Carey (I enjoy her voice in her earlier days...since about 1998 I just hate her wailing)

Sam Smith

Ellie Golding

Simone Simons

Tom Waits

Leonard Cohen

Billy Corgan

Bruce Springsteen

Andrea Ferro

Stevie Nicks

Taylor Swift

Gwen Stefani

Jessie J

Prince

Axl Rose

Freddie Mercury

Lemmy

Mariah Carey (I enjoy her voice in her earlier days...since about 1998 I just hate her wailing)

Sam Smith

Ellie Golding

Simone Simons

I used to see the Pumpkins back in the way early 90s in the clubs and I freakin hated them. You think Billy's voice is bad now, you should have heard it at a 500 person capacity night club, no effects, just like Roseanne Barr singing.
  • Like 1

Tom Waits

Leonard Cohen

Billy Corgan

Bruce Springsteen

Andrea Ferro

Stevie Nicks

Taylor Swift

Gwen Stefani

Jessie J

Prince

Axl Rose

Freddie Mercury

Lemmy

Sam Smith

Ellie Golding

Simone Simons

I used to see the Pumpkins back in the way early 90s in the clubs and I freakin hated them. You think Billy's voice is bad now, you should have heard it at a 500 person capacity night club, no effects, just like Roseanne Barr singing.

I really like the band BUT if I am not 100% in the mood, I can't listen to them at all. Same goes for Tom Waits and Leonard Cohen, but I have in the past really appreciated both when in the right frame of mind.

Okay, I do hate the Smashing Pumpkins cover of Landslide for no other reason than Billy Corgan's awful singing. I love him on his own songs, where he can work with his limited vocal abilities, but that song doesn't suit his voice at all.

Tom Waits

Leonard Cohen

Billy Corgan

Bruce Springsteen

Andrea Ferro

Stevie Nicks

Taylor Swift

Gwen Stefani

Jessie J

Prince

Axl Rose

Freddie Mercury

Lemmy

Sam Smith

Ellie Golding

Simone Simons

I really like the band BUT if I am not 100% in the mood, I can't listen to them at all. Same goes for Tom Waits and Leonard Cohen, but I have in the past really appreciated both when in the right frame of mind.

I cant take Cohen at all. He puts me to sleep

Eeeeeevery booody knoooooowwwwwwww...

Clunk

Billy Corgan

Axl Rose

Bruce Springsteen

Ozzy Osbourne AFTER "No More Tears"

Any of these generic "indie" band singers that are manufactured by record companies