What influence did your parents have on your musical taste, if any?

djflex

I ask this just for curiosity .

I know the news of glen fry passing will make my mom sad and she was always an eagles fan. Although i do not share alot in common with her tastes, she always liked a wide variety of stuff. My parents always took us to shows at a young age because of her love of concerts. Elton john, three dog night and others. When i was very young maybe 6th grade or so i asked to see Kansas and she took me. My dad wasnt really a fan but did take me to see kiss in middle school also. They were also pretty liberal about letting me go early on to shows with friends

A couple of bands that i liked early on because of my folks were van morrison and CCR.

• Like 1

It was really all my uncle and grandma

They both lovedd everything from Sinatra to Zappa

My mom did give me Simon and Garfunkel and Bowie though.

and my dad is no music person, lol

Mick

Your grandma liked zappa? Wow

Yeah my mom liked simon and garfunkel as well

• Like 1

Mick

My Grandma who passed in august loved.

Jimi

Zappa

The Beatles

Steely Dan

Yes

Genesis

Dylan

Waits

you name it. She was awesome, lol

Mick

• Like 5

Mick

My Grandma who passed in august loved.

Jimi

Zappa

The Beatles

Steely Dan

Yes

Genesis

Dylan

Waits

you name it. She was awesome, lol

Mick

Man, that is great.

• Like 1

None whatsoever. My father was in his 40s when I was born. I hated the old man crap he listened to. Sometimes I listened to my mother's 45 discs. They were in German so I couldn't understand a word of it.
  • Like 1

Just ABBA and the rest was my own searching and good friends.
  • Like 2

Dad was the total embodiment of my musical taste. Got me into Rush, Pink Floyd, Iron Maiden, appreciation for 70's and 80's rock in general, and the blues greats like Buddy Guy.

Together we've discovered newer blues acts together like Joe Bonamassa and Gary Clark Jr.

• Like 8

My parents had a HUGE influence on me and my musical appreciation ..

My Dad played the guitar, and he had a lot of great albums - Les Paul, Chet Akins, Al Di Meola, Segovia, Joe Pass, Julian Bream, Roy Clark, etc ..... My Mom loved music a LOT - she had everything - Earth, Wind & Fire, ABBA, Kool And The Gang, and both of my parents loved the Ray Conniff Singers, and big band music ..

As a kid, they took me to Count Basie, George Benson, Kool And The Gang, Earth, Wind & Fire, and later on when I was into guitar we saw Pat Metheny about 10 times, Al D a bunch of times - actually, I saw Al D on the Splendido Hotel tour first, then the acoustic trio show w/ Paco and John McLaughlin and then the Return To Forever reunion in '83 .....

The family went to Cheap Trick in 1979, and then KISS about a month later ..

damn good times

As a kid, I ( of course ) loved the harder stuff, and my Dad loved his guitar music and big band thing .... But around 1982, we got our first VHS machine, and YesSongs was the first tape we bought ( along with Fulci's "Zombie", but that's a whole 'nother story ) .... Anyways, that YesSongs show, and the brilliance of Steve Howe, completely bonded my Dad and I - we watched that tape every weekend for years ..

• Like 6

.. Rush was the first show I went to without the family - this was 1980, and I was 12 .. I drove in with a friend's Dad who dropped us off ... Life altering experience

Anyways, by 1982, I was a 14 year old metal head, and I think the magnitude of it dawned on my parents when the dropped me off to see Iron Maiden and The Rods in Glen Cove LI - it was general admission, and even though we arrived somewhat early, when I got out of the car to get in line, I remember my parents faces, and them thinking "Oh shit, this isn;t Count Basie"

LOL

metal at that time was so special, and a way of life

• Like 3

Total zip. I never knew my dad; he'd be 101 if he was alive today. My mom is a total country gal - the whole 50s, 60s and 70s Nashville scene, with a bit of Manilow and ABBA thrown in for extra zest, I guess. I've turned her on to way more music than she has me, although I will admit to a fondness for Emmylou. Edited by toymaker
  • Like 1

My mom always had/has classical music playing when she's doing stuff around the house, and I'm sure that's where my own love of classical came from. She also likes opera, but that one didn't seem to rub off (I don't like opera at all).

My dad rarely listens to his own music, but when he does it's mellow stuff along the lines of Anne Murray. That certainly had no influence on what I listen to.

• Like 2

My dad was the big influence because he always liked to have the car radio on- mostly country, but some pop. He liked to tell the stories "behind the music" and talk about why Johnny Cash was cool, where Glen Campbell was from, that Merle Haggard had been in jail. It caused me to be interested in the artists behind the music I like (most of the time that's good, once in a while it's not.)

Mom and dad were both influences :D as they readily gave up their living room and their stereo to me, my sisters, and our friends until we were older and could get our own stereos. My mom developed a fondness for the Beach Boys in one of their later waves of popularity!

• Like 1

I think my eclectic tastes owe a lot to my parents' influence, especially my mom. My dad was into old school country stuff like Johnny Cash, Marty Robbins, Mel Tillis. He also was way into Chet Atkins. My mom was trained as an opera singer, so we had classical in the house, as well as popular female soloists like Helen Reddy and Nana Mouskouri, I remember listening to folk music, like the Brothers Four, and we'd use those songs to pass time on long road trips. And there were lots of soundtracks to musicals, like Oliver!, South Pacific, West Side Story, Jesus Christ Superstar. The closest thing to rock my parents had were the Association, Every Mothers Son, and the Beach Boys. My grandfather used to sing "Please Release Me" and "Cuccurucucu Paloma" all the time, and would watch Laurence Welk and HeeHaw religiously. And I remember being moved by the music of Catholic service, especially the songs done in Latin.

From all this, I learned to appreciate melody and harmonies, and still do to this day. I'm not tied to any one genre. I just like what moves me.

• Like 3

My mom always had/has classical music playing when she's doing stuff around the house, and I'm sure that's where my own love of classical came from. She also likes opera, but that one didn't seem to rub off (I don't like opera at all).

I've posted before about how hard I try to like opera. I listen every Sunday, and apart from a little Bizet or Mozart, I can't stand it. Wagner makes me wish for death. :LOL:
  • Like 3

None.

None at all.

My dad does have some pretty unique opinions about certain musical artists. He really likes David Byrne. He really doesn't like Bruce Springsteen. Oddly enough it has little to do with the music, but more to do than how genuine he thinks the artist is. He did listen to music some, but nothing I really was into. My mom really loved Chuck Mangione. The record collection is a bit odd to say the least.

Mantovani and 1001 Strings, Stadler and Young, Miles Davis, Grand Funk Railroad, and some really bizarre looking Japanese singles from the 60's when my parents lived there.

A little here, a little there. More of an influence than "indoctrination," I guess. Mom loved Elvis, and I like him in small doses. Dad's into Willie's Roadhouse stuff on Sirius FM.

I am the oldest kid and my mom had me at age 17 and raised us on her own so no Dad influences but my mom turned me on to lots of music. Beatles, Stones, Joplin, CCR, Eagles, Frampton, to name just a few. Coincidentally today marks 17 years since she passed away and the other day I realized that when Jan 27 arrives I will have lived a longer life than she did. Miss ya mom :heart:
  • Like 5