What influence did your parents have on your musical taste, if any?

djflex

None at all...

The thing is, my parents actually had some really good taste in music eg the Stones, Doors, Deep Purple etc, but I would rather have stuck a red hot poker up my jacksie than listen to the same music my parents did at the time.

Obviously that has changed now, and I have discussions frequently with my mother about music

Yeah you gotta listen to music that makes your parents slightly nervous...

My folks were chuck berry beatles peter paul and mary etc etc fans.

The best thing they did for me was to let me listen to whatever i wanted.

That and mom taking me to see perm waves at age 13. Thanks mom!

• Like 1

hey, here's another interesting topic - did any of us have an influence on our parents' tastes? I actually got my mom to appreciate rush, 70s genesis, maiden, other stuff she'd written off

I got my mom into Boston. She dug the harmonies
  • Like 2

I totally blame/thank my mother for my love of music in general because she introduced me to such a variety. I grew up in the 70's listening to all the greats from the 60's.

Singing along with Grand Funk Railroad, The Beach Boys, The Beatles, Joan Baez, Joni Mitchell, Joan Collins & Bob Dylan when I was a toddler. She took me to a Black Oak Arkansas concert when I was 8.

Getting exposed to Zeppelin, Meatloaf, KISS, AC/DC, Seals & Crofts, Simon & Garfunkel, America, CCR & more as a pre-teen all helped to coalesce my love of music in general with an emphasis on rock.

She also dismissively laughed when I said I'd never listen to classical music and sure enough, after seeing Star Wars/Empire, I had to have the double album and now rock & classical are my 2 fave genres...

I did not enjoy her disco phase (Donna Summer, however, rocked; that live double album she did was incredible) and infatuation with the Bee Gees & Alicia Bridges; god how I hated that one song she'd repeat and dance around to...

But yea, totally thank mom for my love of music; I returned favor and got her into such bands as U2, Rush, Acoustic Alchemy & Genesis later... She didn't like my hardcore selections much with bands like Metallica, Ministry, Skinny Puppy, etc... Too harsh.

Edited by DarthLen
  • Like 3

Nana Mouskouri - Passport;

The radio was always on, but it wasn't a huge influence.

http://static.universal-music.de/asset_new/270974/881/view/Nana-Mouskouri-2012.jpg

Sexy nerd glasses decades before it was cool. And a hell of a voice.

My sister had a huge influence on my musical taste. She's 7 years older so I got into music at the age of 8.

The Beatles first, seeing them on Ed Sullivan but then The Stones, The Who, Moody Blues and Jefferson Airplane. Thanks Sis !!!

• Like 3

2 people influenced my music tastes. I had an aunt who was only 7 years older than i and during the mid 70's and early 80's. she listened to FM radio, giving me a different taste of non top 40. we listened to whole albums when i was at her place like cooper, floyd, (no rush then though) and many other bands that would get no top 40 radio play. other wise i was on my own and had to listen to AM radio (FM wasn't on small portable radios back then).

My mom was very into the western music, Cash, Jennings, Mouskuri, Nelson, and anyone else who knew there was a front and back to a cowboy hat. Then to toss into the mix, she also listened to what we call soft rock today.

To this day I can listen to most stuff from those 2 different styles. (except new pop-country stuff) uhhg.

• Like 1

Music was always playing...

...from me Mum there two albums that she had that I just loved as a child. "The Early Beatles" (which I "borrowed" and still have to this day), The Mamas and The Papas "If You Can Believe Your Eyes and Ears"

Then there was Simon and Garfunkel's Greatest Hits, Neil Diamond Gold and Bob Dylan's Greatest Hits.

From my grandparents was Nat King Cole...I would play his records over and over.

• Like 1

My sister had a huge influence on my musical taste. She's 7 years older so I got into music at the age of 8.

The Beatles first, seeing them on Ed Sullivan but then The Stones, The Who, Moody Blues and Jefferson Airplane. Thanks Sis !!!

My sis got me into the Beatles, as well as Jethro Tull. Edited by goose
  • Like 1

Growing up, I was subjected to copious amounts country music. Absolutely gawd awful stuff. No, my parents had absolutely zero influence on my taste in music.
  • Like 1

My parents had absolutely zero influence on my musical taste. When I was about 11 or 12, they let me have the home "stereo" which was one of those Sears and Roebuck all in one boxes with the AM/FM, record player and 8 track in one unit, in my room. My mom asked my what kind of records or tapes I'd like, so I got the Columbia House ad from TV Guide and circled the stuff I was interested in. Bands like Steppenwolf, Blue Oyster Cult etc. but I ended up getting The Jackson 5, Blood Sweat & Tears (which wasn't bad, but not what I wanted), The Osmond Brothers and some other stuff. One of which was an album by Strawbs (which I'd never heard of) and had my parents seen some of the lyrics, they'd have probably broken the record and the player.

One of the songs was entitled Out In The Cold and some of the lyrics were (and are), "I sucked on your breasts, your legs open wide. I could scarcely believe all the pleasures inside". To naive 12 year old. those were very titillating.

My mother was a music teacher and had a huge influence on how I listen to music and she is why I listen to so many different types of music.
  • Like 1

My parents had absolutely zero influence on my musical taste. When I was about 11 or 12, they let me have the home "stereo" which was one of those Sears and Roebuck all in one boxes with the AM/FM, record player and 8 track in one unit, in my room. My mom asked my what kind of records or tapes I'd like, so I got the Columbia House ad from TV Guide and circled the stuff I was interested in. Bands like Steppenwolf, Blue Oyster Cult etc. but I ended up getting The Jackson 5, Blood Sweat & Tears (which wasn't bad, but not what I wanted), The Osmond Brothers and some other stuff. One of which was an album by Strawbs (which I'd never heard of) and had my parents seen some of the lyrics, they'd have probably broken the record and the player.

One of the songs was entitled Out In The Cold and some of the lyrics were (and are), "I sucked on your breasts, your legs open wide. I could scarcely believe all the pleasures inside". To naive 12 year old. those were very titillating.

Heh, heheh, you said "tit", heheh.

Tons. I would need a few hours to organize the story of influence in my head before writing a post about it, but definitely tons, from the time I was born to the present day, and now I return the favor.
  • Like 1