Why We Don't Love Modern Era RUSH

JohnRogers

Yeah.

rock rock 'til you drop everyone.

YOU GOTTA ROCK ROCK TILL YOU DROP :haz:

I can't remember the song it's from, but I remembered the lyrics. :LOL:

Opening track from Pyromania!

Thank you! I ought to get that Def Leppard album again. One of my favorites.

Why don't I "love" VT through CA, unlike classic Rush (for me, MP and earlier)? Simple -- songwriting, or recent lack of good songwriting.

So I really like "modern" Rush, esp VT and SA. Best stuff since MP for my tastes, but I'll admit I don't love it like MP and earlier. Simple explanation through an illustration. Back in the day I thought Closer to the Heart was an ok song; it was pleasant and well-written, but never really thrilled me, at least compared to nearly all the other stuff they had recorded '76 through '81. But if Closer to the Heart were to appear now, for the first time, on a modern Rush album, I would think it was a song-writing grand slam. I'll use the "cover test." I can see another band covering CTTH, or Limelight, or any number of classic Rush songs for the benefit of a wide audience. I can't think of one modern Rush song that would lend itself to a recognizable cover that would be meant to appeal to non-Rush fans.

So, guess what I am saying is that for my tastes, Rush just doesn't write songs like they used to, and on top of that it has all become too "loud". Bombastic production has replaced the sonic heaviness of '70s metal Rush, preaching and lecturing has replaced the metaphor and story-telling of '70s sci-fi Rush*, long albums of largely nondescript songs have replaced (relatively) short albums of distinctive musical statements of '70s prog Rush. *Granted, Neil has always had a propensity to lecture, but he's become less of an earnest idealist and more like a finger-wagging curmudgeon.

All things are relative though. On its own merits, modern Rush (VT and on) is really good music; sometimes great music. If I don't love it I really really like it. But I can't think of one example of great songwriting, so I wouldn't say I love it.

• Like 3

Yeah.

I love Def Leppard! Well not anymore! Didn't Lucas just write down below that Rush and Def Leppard both started sucking after 15 years?

I will admit I love every Def Leppard album up to "Adrenalize."

As for Rush, of course those of you who know me know that after "Counterparts" is was downhill for me.

I'm listening to TASTE right now featuring the late great Rory Gallagher. Yet another incredible three piece band.

Some bands never last 15 years.

We are blessed.

And cursed.

So says Neil.

Nostalgia is very powerful.

Vinyl made people sit down and LISTEN.

We have less time on our hands as adults than we did as teenagers.

The songs were better.

Oh BTW I loved CA, more so than most stuff they put out after PW, so maybe it does just boil down to the music/songs

• Like 2

As one of the most unique and iconoclastic bands in the world with a similar fanbase, I find any use of the word 'we' highly ironic and misguided. In simpler terms, don't dare present this 'we' crap to a bunch of Rush fans.
  • Like 2

Why don't I "love" VT through CA, unlike classic Rush (for me, MP and earlier)? Simple -- songwriting, or recent lack of good songwriting.

So I really like "modern" Rush, esp VT and SA. Best stuff since MP for my tastes, but I'll admit I don't love it like MP and earlier. Simple explanation through an illustration. Back in the day I thought Closer to the Heart was an ok song; it was pleasant and well-written, but never really thrilled me, at least compared to nearly all the other stuff they had recorded '76 through '81. But if Closer to the Heart were to appear now, for the first time, on a modern Rush album, I would think it was a song-writing grand slam. I'll use the "cover test." I can see another band covering CTTH, or Limelight, or any number of classic Rush songs for the benefit of a wide audience. I can't think of one modern Rush song that would lend itself to a recognizable cover that would be meant to appeal to non-Rush fans.

So, guess what I am saying is that for my tastes, Rush just doesn't write songs like they used to, and on top of that it has all become too "loud". Bombastic production has replaced the sonic heaviness of '70s metal Rush, preaching and lecturing has replaced the metaphor and story-telling of '70s sci-fi Rush*, long albums of largely nondescript songs have replaced (relatively) short albums of distinctive musical statements of '70s prog Rush. *Granted, Neil has always had a propensity to lecture, but he's become less of an earnest idealist and more like a finger-wagging curmudgeon.

All things are relative though. On its own merits, modern Rush (VT and on) is really good music; sometimes great music. If I don't love it I really really like it. But I can't think of one example of great songwriting, so I wouldn't say I love it.

Some pretty good points there. I like your idea of the cover test.
  • Like 1

The modern era strikes me as typical of a band that no longer gets in a room together and plays

The end result of a song that is hashed out over and over in person by the 3 members compared to files that are simply emailed and worked on at a convenient time is like night and day

Too much production, too little personal style

Geddy himself said that in bringing back some of the old songs for the last tour, he realized that those old songs were less dense, which in fact made them heavier

And as a guitarist - I've gotta say that Alex lost his tone a long time ago ... I was listening to the Mobile Fidelity Gold 2112 CD, and Alex's sound is so simple and pure - is was tone as opposed to spaceI wish they would do it the old school way, all 3 of them together in a room...Maybe some day.

I agree with all of that. I would also add the invention of the cd gave bands more

Time to play with. There is far more filler these days in general and Rush is no exception. Granted I still like about 75% of their recent output.

As much as i love the synth era.

Their peak was signals.

it was a very slow decline after.

Mick

Signals sucked. The next three albums grew and grew and often bettered even MP.

Then Presto dropped, and then the decline happened.

Signals is EPIC. EPIC. Repeat after me. EPIC.

I can burp the alphabet to at least 14 without hiccuping.

impressive!

Yeah.

I love Def Leppard! Well not anymore! Didn't Lucas just write down below that Rush and Def Leppard both started sucking after 15 years?

I will admit I love every Def Leppard album up to "Adrenalize."

As for Rush, of course those of you who know me know that after "Counterparts" is was downhill for me.

I'm listening to TASTE right now featuring the late great Rory Gallagher. Yet another incredible three piece band.

Some bands never last 15 years.

We are blessed.

And cursed.

So says Neil.

I never mentioned Def Leppard

but

I did say

Stephen Curry !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

;)

• Like 1

Their peak was signals.

Mick

I can burp the alphabet to at least 14 without hiccuping.

Haha!

The number 14 is in the alphabet?

I don't have that version...I need to hear it!

• Like 1

Their peak was signals.

Mick

:huh: Is it?

Epic on the same scale as 2112? Or La Villa Strangiato? Or Hold Your Fire?

I've always thought it's a good album, overall. Some of it is excellent. But some of it is...not.

I would appreciate being able to hear it with your ears, honestly. But epic, I don't get.

(See, I did follow your lead- I did say 'epic', a couple of times, in there).

• Like 1

Their peak was signals.

Mick

sigh.............Signals ROCKS. Music is indeed subjective. but bud you are so wrong here. it's why neil plays with that scowl......Cause you are wrong, lol

love ya.

Mick

It's a sucky album in comparison to what came before and the three that came after.

3/5 for me.

Their peak was signals.

Mick

I've always thought it's a good album, overall. Some of it is excellent. But some of it is...not.

I would appreciate being able to hear it with your ears, honestly. But epic, I don't get.

It is epic in the sense that Flock Of Seagulls was epic, only they had better songs.

Their peak was signals.

Mick

I like how you listed HYF as Epic, lol. I agree but most would really disagree.

but HYF is Epic.

Mick

• Like 1

Their peak was signals.

Mick

but HYF is Epic.

Mick

I was hoping someone would catch that- either to agree with me, or so I could defend it. ;)

Epic it is!

• Like 2

Their peak was signals.

Mick

but HYF is Epic.

Mick

I was hoping someone would catch that- either to agree with me, or so I could defend it. ;)

Epic it is!

All i heard in my head was

"HYF EPIC?????? What are you on? blah blah blah"

:laughing guy:

Mick

• Like 1

Hold Your Fire is epic. Spans many emotions and delves deep into the heart of the band.

Signals has greatness but also farts a lot of wetness.

I don't care what anyone thinks, I find it to be woefully overrated on this forum.

Speak for yourself guys, I won't do it for you and neither shall anyone else do it for me.

Edited by Segue Myles
  • Like 2

Hold Your Fire is epic. Spans many emotions and delves deep into the heart of the band.

I don't care what anyone thinks, I find it to be woefully overrated on this forum.

Speak for yourself guys, I won't do it for you and neither shall anyone else do it for me.

thanks for the invite. Signals Rules. but.........HYF is a billion times better.

The best album Stevie Nicks never wrote, lol

Mick

• Like 1

thanks for the invite. Signals Rules. but.........HYF is a billion times better.

Mick

I agree!

Presto is better as Signals as well

• Like 1

Mick

Stevie Nicks? Hmm, I've never heard that in HYF...but to each his own. :huh:

To me, it is as quintessentially "Rush" as anything they ever recorded. Every single note, beat, and syllable is just fantastic.

• Like 2

Their peak was signals.

Mick

but HYF is Epic.

Mick

Epic it is!

All i heard in my head was

"HYF EPIC?????? What are you on? blah blah blah"

:laughing guy:

Mick

We do have quite a peanut gallery around here... :P