Peart Talks Retirement in New Drumhead Magazine Interview

Jag2112

This makes me sad. I would have thought Neil would hold himself to the same high standard of his work. In the recent Drumhead mag interview, it's his daughter who calls her dad a "retired drummer." To me that says everything - he's telling his own very young daughter this.

It doesn't make a lot of sense that it was executed this way. It's almost rude: not the retirement, but the passive aggressive way about it. This is to say nothing of the lost business opportunities too.

Well, right. Now what wouldn't make it "passive aggressive" would be if there were discussions leading up to this where Neil felt he made himself clear about exactly how/when he wanted to stop, and now those agreements are being thrown out the window.

Ged and Al have the advantage of talking to the media more, and just being better at it. Neil comes across as heavy-handed in using anecdotes involving his kid at every pass to get the point across that he may be retired. Especially when he was asked point-blank about what the future holds, and he left the door open for more original material, if nothing else.

• Like 1

Is the entire interview on Cygnus' website, or do I have to click on the Drumbeat link?

Believe it or not, I am still waiting for the page to load, that's why I am asking - to avoid wasting any more time only to find out it's not actually on his website.

This makes me sad. I would have thought Neil would hold himself to the same high standard of his work. In the recent Drumhead mag interview, it's his daughter who calls her dad a "retired drummer." To me that says everything - he's telling his own very young daughter this.

It doesn't make a lot of sense that it was executed this way. It's almost rude: not the retirement, but the passive aggressive way about it. This is to say nothing of the lost business opportunities too.

Well, right. Now what wouldn't make it "passive aggressive" would be if there were discussions leading up to this where Neil felt he made himself clear about exactly how/when he wanted to stop, and now those agreements are being thrown out the window.

Ged and Al have the advantage of talking to the media more, and just being better at it. Neil comes across as heavy-handed in using anecdotes involving his kid at every pass to get the point across that he may be retired. Especially when he was asked point-blank about what the future holds, and he left the door open for more original material, if nothing else.

Agreed. And to be clear, it's not his desire to retire, but HOW he's done it. It seems classless, frankly.

Imagine this:

Neil leaves RUSH due to retirement, even though Geddy and Alex want to continue to make music in some fashion as RUSH

Geddy and Alex then acquire Mike Portnoy -previously of Dream Theater- on drums for a new RUSH studio album in 2016..

Who is the same Mike Portnoy who left Dream Theater because he wanted to take a break while the other members didn't.

Wouldn't that be a kick in the nuts? In the good way!

Maybe it's possible that Neil always caved into the tour demands of Alex, Geddy and/or Ray. So when it twas time for Neil to cave into more R40 dates, he stuck to his guns, reiterating his -prenegotiated number of dates.

or maybe he didn't communicate his needs clearly. he did fess up to being totally passive aggressive and expecting people to be able to figure it out in roadshow!

Those of us who are sports fans get what Peart is saying. Brett Farve's last season with the Jets was sad to watch as it happened. So many of us NFL fans don't want to see Peyton Manning come back to play. Why??? We believe his body can't do it anymore, we don't want Brett Farve's last season.

So why won't many people cut Peart some slack? I'd argue most of those people are not drummers, that most of those people don't believe he can't physically do it at a high level. They believe he selfishly wants to sleep in and make PB&J sandwiches for his daughter instead of touring.

Why can't you people get it? Why can't I get it?

I'm a drummer, I get it. I also watched him perform at an exceptionally high level this tour. So he clearly can do it. That said, the guy can retire if he wants. I don't begrudge him that. I'm sad. There is so little true greatness in the world. To see greatness go away, arguably prematurely, leaves the world a touch less great. Yes, its only a rock band and in the grand scheme of things, pretty unimportant. Nevertheless, greatness is greatness. It will be missed dearly.

• Like 6

Maybe it's possible that Neil always caved into the tour demands of Alex, Geddy and/or Ray. So when it twas time for Neil to cave into more R40 dates, he stuck to his guns, reiterating his -prenegotiated number of dates.

or maybe he didn't communicate his needs clearly. he did fess up to being totally passive aggressive and expecting people to be able to figure it out in roadshow!

Sure, of course....just offering alternatives for the sake of discussion....but it seems clear to me Neil said he would only play so many dates (was it pre-tour?).

I don`t know how negotiating tour dates work but I`m guessing it`s common practice to add dates as the tour progresses and equally common (and expected) for the band to accept the added dates - until now. ;)

Is the entire interview on Cygnus' website, or do I have to click on the Drumbeat link?

Believe it or not, I am still waiting for the page to load, that's why I am asking - to avoid wasting any more time only to find out it's not actually on his website.

This is all there is at Cygnus, as far as relevant text goes:

The December 2015 issue of Drumhead Magazine includes an interview with Neil Peart where the Rush drummer "reflects on 50 years of hitting things with sticks."

In a couple of passages, Peart also touches upon the fact that he now considers himself retired:

"Lately Olivia has been introducing me to new friends at school as "My dad--He's a retired drummer." True to say--funny to hear.

"And it does not pain me to realize that, like all athletes, there comes a time to... take yourself out of the game. I would rather set it aside then face the predicament described in our song "losing it" ("Sadder still to watch it die, than never to have known it")"

Sigh.

The magazine is also holding a "Neil Peart Tour Package Contest" where one lucky winner will receive six pairs of drum sticks, a "Time Machine" snare, and 2 Paragon cymbals.

We'll have the complete transcription of this article as well as additional details of the contest available in the coming days.

Many thanks to Joe Pesch for sharing the news.

• Like 1

i'm just wondering if lil olivia may one day say "darn it dad, you retired just after I was amazed (only once)

at all the crazy people showing up to hear you and my uncles (yr bros) play,play,play for a payroll but for

real daddy keep on playing away and risking your life all day on your motorcycle trips. if something happens

to you while riding atleast I will know you were playing without the paying for my secured future without you

being here for ever and ever and ever...well thats just darn silly.

Edited by headache

The December 2015 issue of Drumhead Magazine includes an interview with Neil Peart where the Rush drummer "reflects on 50 years of hitting things with sticks."

In a couple of passages, Peart also touches upon the fact that he now considers himself retired:

"Lately Olivia has been introducing me to new friends at school as "My dad--He's a retired drummer." True to say--funny to hear.

"And it does not pain me to realize that, like all athletes, there comes a time to... take yourself out of the game. I would rather set it aside then face the predicament described in our song "losing it" ("Sadder still to watch it die, than never to have known it")"

Sigh.

The magazine is also holding a "Neil Peart Tour Package Contest" where one lucky winner will receive six pairs of drum sticks, a "Time Machine" snare, and 2 Paragon cymbals.

We'll have the complete transcription of this article as well as additional details of the contest available in the coming days.

JARG, thank you.

So that little bit of no real news turned into ten pages of comments?

Sigh.

JARG, thank you.

it's TRF......10 pages is a slow day. Fraroc make a new thread show em how it's done.

Mick

• Like 1

Sigh.

JARG, thank you.

Most of them were about frarocs comments.

• Like 1

Sigh.

JARG, thank you.

Not for long.

Most of them were about fraroc's pathologically dysfunctional comments.

Fixed.

Edited by Principled Man

as much as neil enjoys writing and considering how excellent he is with phrasing his emotions ("admittingly I suck @") the least he could have done is penned some sort of going away letter using the official web-site or n.p.newsweather&sports section of his own site. i beleive then it would be much easier or understanding than reading and hearing about his woes & pains of touring by way of press news through the veiws of Ged/Alex...F.O.H. which leads me to wonder if something of the sort is still to come in the still to be issued n.p.news.weather&sports articles. more intriguing is the thought of neil possibly being paid for the Drum-Head interview in which he relays his newly crowned tilte of the Retired Drummer...to this title I will always say Rocks Best Ever retired drummer !

Also seems as of most would agree we do not consider Or does he consider himself to still play with the same ferocious poundage per sq-hit as we hear before the synthdays. A lot of reviews from R-40 seemed to praise the song (Losing-It) as a high point of the show which is a song having a slower pace and one being less abusive on his body. Why not consider that a new challenge or phase of his playing career and continue to improve in that manner. This could be with Or without tours of huge magnitude.

Although I understand his feelings, it's very very sad.... Hopefully Ged and Al will do something in the future, and only time will tell if Neil will be involved, even though it's highly unlikely. But what a way to go out on top - Clockwork Angels and Snakes & Arrows were both masterpieces, and R40 and Clockwork Angels were arguably their best tours ever, and they were at the top of their game. I'm glad that I've gotten to meet them. I'm glad that I saw them in Kansas City in 6th row, because they were playing their best. I'd consider myself a "lucky" Rush fan, even though I didn't get to see them on the Hemispheres or Vapor Trails or Snakes and Arrows Tour. Even though the only studio album that was released when I was a fan was Clockwork Angels. Geddy and Alex weren't kidding when they said that they weren't on the same page about the band's future. A real shame.... I wish that I could live it all again. Edited by DistantEarlySignals

Most of them were about fraroc's pathologically dysfunctional comments.

Fixed.

Not funny.

you people

Always a winning way to address fellow Rush fans.

Ok I'll change it to 'you dumbasses'

I expected as much.

And I'm not one of those arguing for Neil to keep drumming, and keep pleasing us all by enabling Rush to tour until they all keel over, onstage...not at all. It's not about that. I just thought your choice of address was a bit testy. It seems there are more important things in the world to get upset about, that's all.

Oh dear I'm being reprimanded by the "Nice" Police.

• Like 1

you people

Always a winning way to address fellow Rush fans.

Ok I'll change it to 'you dumbasses'

I expected as much.

And I'm not one of those arguing for Neil to keep drumming, and keep pleasing us all by enabling Rush to tour until they all keel over, onstage...not at all. It's not about that. I just thought your choice of address was a bit testy. It seems there are more important things in the world to get upset about, that's all.

Oh dear I'm being reprimanded by the "Nice" Police.

Suck my butt!