Peart Talks Retirement in New Drumhead Magazine Interview

Jag2112

You know if Alex's hands were never able to play again Neil probably wouldn't start campaigning for a new guitarist or start crying about it in interviews, right?

If it's not Geddy, Alex, and Neil it's not RUSH.

He deserves the rest, good for Neil!

And thank you for being the greatest rock drummer in history!!

I agree 100% with this.

• Like 3

The Lee, Lifeson and (Insert drummer who everyone will hate no matter what) Experience has began.

Maybe....but not in a band named Rush.

No, clearly the option is for Geddy and Alex to create a Rush tribute band.

There is a difference between confirming your retirement and saying goodbye with one finger in the air.

Tell me where you're read anything that gives that impression? Just because the other two want to tour and he doesn't isn't anything new. Neil has been saying goodbye to touring since the 90's. It's not exactly something new. Except this time he has a child he wants to stay home with. The other two don't.

Don't go giving him kidnapping ideas, now. ;)

Yeah, remember when Ricky kidnapped Alex?

The Lee, Lifeson and (Insert drummer who everyone will hate no matter what) Experience has began.

Maybe....but not in a band named Rush.

No, clearly the option is for Geddy and Alex to create a Rush tribute band.

Who are they going to get to sing?

• Like 2

In a way, the whole R40 experience was the last of all the "Will they tour again?" gravy, because if one looks back at recent years, the true catalyst in the retirement motivation was most likely the publishing rights sale.

When someone throws in a humble brag in a post on his website about now owning a $280,000 sports car, one can deduce he recently came into some next-level major cash. Not that he couldn't afford it before, of course, but from the point of view of, "I wrote something and I helped build something and I worked hard for decades and I sold it off for a retirement profit," well, just about any working man has that dream in some sense.

In a way, the whole R40 experience was the last of all the "Will they tour again?" gravy, because if one looks back at recent years, the true catalyst in the retirement motivation was most likely the publishing rights sale.

When someone throws in a humble brag in a post on his website about now owning a $280,000 sports car, one can deduce he recently came into some next-level major cash. Not that he couldn't afford it before, of course, but from the point of view of, "I wrote something and I helped build something and I worked hard for decades and I sold it off for a retirement profit," well, just about any working man has that dream in some sense.

Have you,

Ever been here? :codger: :D

http://www.jessandjims.com/

I know I can't force Neil to play more if he honestly doesn't want to, I'm just unhappy with how everything is going down right now. I've said this before and I'll say it again, Geddy and Alex want to keep the door open and it does upset me that Neil doesn't even tell Geddy, Alex and the Rush fans "I'm sorry, but I'm done. I can't do it anymore"

It's more like. "You want more Rush shows? Yeah well kiss my ass, I'm retired now."

Yes....I'm picking up on this as well. There seems to be a big disconnect, and it's almost as if the band is speaking to each other via the press.

Well, I'm glad that some of you guys are finally seeing the way things actually are between the guys. When I said it a while back, I was called a liar, and told I didn't know what I was talking about, but there is definitely a "disconnect" with Neil. Shortly after the tour ended, he took all of his equipment, went home, and cut communication. He knew long before the tour started that this would be his last. He just waited until it was over before he made it official with the band and fans. That is pretty much the crux of the strain in the relationship.

• Like 6

you people

Always a winning way to address fellow Rush fans.

Ok I'll change it to 'you dumbasses'

I expected as much.

And I'm not one of those arguing for Neil to keep drumming, and keep pleasing us all by enabling Rush to tour until they all keel over, onstage...not at all. It's not about that. I just thought your choice of address was a bit testy. It seems there are more important things in the world to get upset about, that's all.

Edited by Blue J
  • Like 1

Well, this is going to be a difficult time for them! Forty years is a long time, and a quitting member is going to hurt somewhat, but sooner or later Rush will end for good, and Neil wants to quit now, so they are all facing reality in their own way.

Give them time to comprehend the changes (if they do feel hurt that is) and it will all make sense.

Right.....and there are plenty of cases of artists "retiring" only to decide that retirement sucks.

But the abruptness of this seems weird. I mean, Neil HAS been signaling that he's hated touring for the last 30 years, so that isn't new. And from reading "Ghost Rider", one could easily surmise that absent liquidating all their equipment, publishing, etc, Rush wasn't quite in a financial position to retire for the rest of their lives (or at least they weren't 15 years ago). So either obligation or money has driven Neil on for these last couple decades.

But if the reports are true, Rush had 7 more U.S shows, 10 Europe shows, and 3 South American shows ready to green-light, and Neil put the kibosh on it. Why now -- after all this time of apparently sucking it up -- does he put his foot down to just 20 more shows or less than 2 more months on the road? That kind of abruptness seems to suggest some kind of external pressure -- problems at home? Health problems?

It just really appears from these interviews that Ged and Neil are nowhere near on the same page. To the point where it doesn't even look like they've been talking to each other.

• Like 1

Well, I'm glad that some of you guys are finally seeing the way things actually are between the guys. When I said it a while back, I was called a liar, and told I didn't know what I was talking about, but there is definitely a "disconnect" with Neil. Shortly after the tour ended, he took all of his equipment, went home, and cut communication. He knew long before the tour started that this would be his last. He just waited until it was over before he made it official with the band and fans. That is pretty much the crux of the strain in the relationship.

So taking this post at face value, the question remains, why NOW? Especially if Neil has hated touring for so long. Does he finally feel he has enough money to never work again? (Something he said they couldn't do back in 1998 without liquidating EVERYTHING). Health factors? Home factors?

I guess what I'm puzzle dover is the idea that someone with a personality as strong as Neil's doesn't seem like the kind to just get pressured into anything. It actually makes the "abruptness" of this tour end easy to understand, but makes it harder to grasp what he agreed to all the touring after 2008 (or so). Or why agree to the R40 tour in the first place, only to cut it off with other dates still on the table?

Would love to have been a fly on the wall......

Well, this is going to be a difficult time for them! Forty years is a long time, and a quitting member is going to hurt somewhat, but sooner or later Rush will end for good, and Neil wants to quit now, so they are all facing reality in their own way.

Give them time to comprehend the changes (if they do feel hurt that is) and it will all make sense.

Right.....and there are plenty of cases of artists "retiring" only to decide that retirement sucks.

But the abruptness of this seems weird. I mean, Neil HAS been signaling that he's hated touring for the last 30 years, so that isn't new. And from reading "Ghost Rider", one could easily surmise that absent liquidating all their equipment, publishing, etc, Rush wasn't quite in a financial position to retire for the rest of their lives (or at least they weren't 15 years ago). So either obligation or money has driven Neil on for these last couple decades.

But if the reports are true, Rush had 7 more U.S shows, 10 Europe shows, and 3 South American shows ready to green-light, and Neil put the kibosh on it. Why now -- after all this time of apparently sucking it up -- does he put his foot down to just 20 more shows or less than 2 more months on the road? That kind of abruptness seems to suggest some kind of external pressure -- problems at home? Health problems?

It just really appears from these interviews that Ged and Neil are nowhere near on the same page. To the point where it doesn't even look like they've been talking to each other.

I understand he was near broke (whatever that means for Neil) which prompted him to call Alex up asking if they still needed a drummer fifteen years ago.

Once you have acquired a certain lifestyle, you like to maintain it.

Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 1

Does the reason really matter? He doesn't want to play, he doesn't want to play.

Boo hoo hoo I only got to see Rush 5 times in the last 10 years. Boo hoo hoo Peart didn't give me 3 years quitting notice in writing and provide a two hour interview covering the impending retirement. Boo hoo hoo if he doesn't tour why can't he just do a residency in my hometown that corresponds to my vacation time and at an affordable ticket price. Boo hoo hoo...

• Like 3

I just don't know when retiring became a sin. Fraroc is really ok.....i just never understood the inexplicable unfounded neil hate. Especially from someone who recently admited to not knowing half of Rush's discography

Mick

It's not the matter of what happened, it's how it happened.

OK, so shame on Neil for not running his ideas by you first.

What bothers me is the fact that Geddy and Alex, especially Geddy both held out hope that Rush was going to continue after R40 in the way of new albums or short tours and residencies.

Does the reason really matter? He doesn't want to play, he doesn't want to play.

Boo hoo hoo I only got to see Rush 5 times in the last 10 years. Boo hoo hoo Peart didn't give me 3 years quitting notice in writing and provide a two hour interview covering the impending retirement. Boo hoo hoo if he doesn't tour why can't he just do a residency in my hometown that corresponds to my vacation time and at an affordable ticket price. Boo hoo hoo...

OK....so let's not talk at all about a relevant topic such as "why our favorite band is breaking up." Back to "favorite Rush song" polls for everyone.

• Like 1

I understand he was near broke (whatever that means for Neil) which prompted him to call Alex up asking if they still needed a drummer fifteen years ago.

Once you have acquired a certain lifestyle, you like to maintain it.

.....which puts Neil in an even worse light. And I'm NOT talking about whether the guy has earned his retirement -- he has.

But if it really were true that Ged and Al kept things going because Neil was not in a financial position to quit, then the refusal to entertain 20 more dates would seem even more disingenuous on Neil's part. Unless of course, there were agreements already well in place as to how/when the band was going to end, and now Ged and Al were changing their side of things.

I dunno -- getting back to the original point, just taking the interviews that have been done in the last couple weeks, it just seems like the guys are talking around each other.

So taking this post at face value, the question remains, why NOW? Especially if Neil has hated touring for so long. Does he finally feel he has enough money to never work again? (Something he said they couldn't do back in 1998 without liquidating EVERYTHING). Health factors? Home factors?

I guess what I'm puzzle dover is the idea that someone with a personality as strong as Neil's doesn't seem like the kind to just get pressured into anything. It actually makes the "abruptness" of this tour end easy to understand, but makes it harder to grasp what he agreed to all the touring after 2008 (or so). Or why agree to the R40 tour in the first place, only to cut it off with other dates still on the table?

pretty sure that everything neil has done since he came back has been for the money. he has been working towards his comfortable retirement, and i would guess that he did r40 based on calculations regarding his financial future. nothing wrong with that, but i agree that he seems to have been pretty shitty and inconsiderate in how he went about it, not to us the fans but to his partners who made his privileged life possible. listening to geddy and alex, it does sound like he was a bit manipulative or at the very least not forthcoming about his timetable and intentions.

while the fans taking on about having been screwed over is a bit much i do not blame geddy and alex for feeling that way, not one little bit.

• Like 4

pretty sure that everything neil has done since he came back has been for the money. he has been working towards his comfortable retirement, and i would guess that he did r40 based on calculations regarding his financial future. nothing wrong with that, but i agree that he seems to have been pretty shitty and inconsiderate in how he went about it, not to us the fans but to his partners who made his privileged life possible. listening to geddy and alex, it does sound like he was a bit manipulative or at the very least not forthcoming about his timetable and intentions.

while the fans taking on about having been screwed over is a bit much i do not blame geddy and alex for feeling that way, not one little bit.

I agree with you.

Right....and that's the part I'm trying to put my finger on here. I'm definitely not buying the fans being screwed over part. But a band is a three-way relationship, and you would think that after 40 years, the guys would be able to reach some sort of compromise on the future. Which isn't to say that they won't -- but the latest interviews sure smacks of the respective parties staking out their positions. (Especially given that a few years ago, Peart never talked about his family. Now he doesn't shut up about them).

I know I can't force Neil to play more if he honestly doesn't want to, I'm just unhappy with how everything is going down right now. I've said this before and I'll say it again, Geddy and Alex want to keep the door open and it does upset me that Neil doesn't even tell Geddy, Alex and the Rush fans "I'm sorry, but I'm done. I can't do it anymore"

It's more like. "You want more Rush shows? Yeah well kiss my ass, I'm retired now."

Yes....I'm picking up on this as well. There seems to be a big disconnect, and it's almost as if the band is speaking to each other via the press.

This makes me sad. I would have thought Neil would hold himself to the same high standard of his work. In the recent Drumhead mag interview, it's his daughter who calls her dad a "retired drummer." To me that says everything - he's telling his own very young daughter this.

It doesn't make a lot of sense that it was executed this way. It's almost rude: not the retirement, but the passive aggressive way about it. This is to say nothing of the lost business opportunities too.

• Like 1

This makes me sad. I would have thought Neil would hold himself to the same high standard of his work. In the recent Drumhead mag interview, it's his daughter who calls her dad a "retired drummer." To me that says everything - he's telling his own very young daughter this.

It doesn't make a lot of sense that it was executed this way. It's almost rude: not the retirement, but the passive aggressive way about it. This is to say nothing of the lost business opportunities too.

I am sure you will get over it.