Post Unpopular Rush Opinions

Eel Yddeg

The Police did The Police much, much better than Rush did The Police in the 80s.

But how did the Police do Rush in the 80's? :)

Not well. YYZ is a much better instrumental than Regatta de Blanc. :)

Yeah but Regatta doesn't sound like Rush...or YYZ The Police...

• Like 1

Down here in Oz Rush were/are not well known and the few that do seem to think that they ceased to exist after about Signals.They were never on the radio and the only major time on tv was they showed Exit Stage Left at about 4am on a Saturday morning probably to fill in time.I worked in a record shop at the time of Hemisperes and they were lumped in the Heavy Metal pile .There were also comparisons to Styx and Kansas,both unhip bands despite selling well.Punk,New Wave and Disco were raging as well as Fleetwood Mac,Eagles and their ilk.But the big thing is Australians loved their pub rock ,no nonsense straight ahead loud guitar rawk.Cold Chisel,The Angels,Rose Tattoo and ultimately AC/DC.Rush were seen as music to play Dungeons and Dragons to,in other words weird.If only Rush had toured down here they could have opened up a more than few eyes.
  • Like 2

Down here in Oz Rush were/are not well known and the few that do seem to think that they ceased to exist after about Signals.They were never on the radio and the only major time on tv was they showed Exit Stage Left at about 4am on a Saturday morning probably to fill in time.I worked in a record shop at the time of Hemisperes and they were lumped in the Heavy Metal pile .There were also comparisons to Styx and Kansas,both unhip bands despite selling well.Punk,New Wave and Disco were raging as well as Fleetwood Mac,Eagles and their ilk.But the big thing is Australians loved their pub rock ,no nonsense straight ahead loud guitar rawk.Cold Chisel,The Angels,Rose Tattoo and ultimately AC/DC.Rush were seen as music to play Dungeons and Dragons to,in other words weird.If only Rush had toured down here they could have opened up a more than few eyes.

Big shame. If they had toured here it would have been easier than me trying to convert people..!

• Like 1

During 1981-82 an Aussie friend I met in Mexico was turning me on to Cold Chisel, Midnight Oil, Australian Crawl, The Church. I tried to get him into RUSH but he wasn't too interested. I was ok with it, cause we both loved early AC/DC. :haz:

"It's a long way to the shop, if you want a sausage roll!"

• Like 1

Big shame. If they had toured here it would have been easier than me trying to convert people..!

After me hassling Rage, The Big Money video gets played every now and then.
  • Like 1

The Police did The Police much, much better than Rush did The Police in the 80s.

Ah, if you want a Police instrumental, pick How Stupid Mr. Bates.
  • Like 1

And now for a RUSH opinion so unpopular that it amounts to a notion apparently abhorred by 66.666... percent of the band from which it sprung:

He stood at the top of the mountain... and China sang to him.

• Like 3

Subdivisions as the opening track put people off Signals.

Absolutely.

The fact that song was one of their most well known and best received songs in their live set was all an illusion. Futher proof is that the album went platinum and how crazy everyone went when they opened their show with it on the CA tour.

Yeah, that's exactly the reaction a song that puts people off would get.

I take the Signals criticism around here with a grain of salt. You have people who post in the “rank the albums” threads that MP and PeW are in the bottom 50%, well behind anything released after them.

Don't get me wrong I like both Signals and Subdivisions, just feel it was the wrong song to have as the opening song.

Then what song should have opened the album? I don't see any other track on Signals being a better choice.

I agree. Subdivisions works best as an opener. I feel like its intro would interrupt the flow of the album anywhere else in the tracklist.

Also it made for the best video. Great great and totally relatable as i was 15 at the time

The boys were trying to avoid being the pop stars killed by video...

• Like 2

Regatta de Blanc doesn't even belong in the same sentence as YYZ. In fact, it belongs in the same sentence as much as C.C. DeVille belongs in the same sentence as Alex Lifeson... How's that for an unpopular opinion :laughing guy:
  • Like 1

Regatta de Blanc doesn't even belong in the same sentence as YYZ. In fact, it belongs in the same sentence as much as C.C. DeVille belongs in the same sentence as Alex Lifeson... How's that for an unpopular opinion :laughing guy:

Quick check. Do you think Steve Vai and Yngwie Malmsteen are top tier guitarists?

• Like 2

Quick check. Do you think Steve Vai and Yngwie Malmsteen are top tier guitarists?

Vai and Malmsteen are both world-class imo... I saw Vai and McAlpine here in Sacramento in 2016... Jaw-dropping~
  • Like 1

I loved the stuff both of them did while playing for Alcatrazz
  • Like 1

Vai and Malmsteen are both world-class imo... I saw Vai and McAlpine here in Sacramento in 2016... Jaw-dropping~

That might explain things. All three of The Police are excellent musicians. That isn’t a synonym for flashy or fast IMO.

• Like 3

That might explain things. All three of The Police are excellent musicians. That isn’t a synonym for flashy or fast IMO.

Perhaps you might have a listen to Steven Wilson's "Drive Home" or a few of Mark Knopfler's solos or I'm sure you remember May's Bohemian Rhapsody solo.... Gilmore on Comfortably Numb is in this group (of which there are many more) of some of my favorite solos... You sir, are, among other things, too long on presumptuousness and too short on information~
  • Like 1

Rage is so up and down these days

• Like 1

Rage is so up and down these days

Depends on who's programming it, avoid like the plague if it's a rap artist.
  • Like 1

Perhaps you might have a listen to Steven Wilson's "Drive Home" or a few of Mark Knopfler's solos or I'm sure you remember May's Bohemian Rhapsody solo.... Gilmore on Comfortably Numb is in this group (of which there are many more) of some of my favorite solos... You sir, are, among other things, too long on presumptuousness and too short on information~

Perhaps you should look up irony in the dictionary. Your post is a great example of it.

The Police are excellent musicians. If you don't see that you probably don't understand what being an excellent musician is.

• Like 1

Signals is only as acclaimed as it is within the fanbase (in a lot of your top 5), because age-wise, many of you became fans after Moving Pictures came out.

Signals isn't that great. If all the same people became fans after Presto you would all be calling Roll The Bones a masterpiece. I'll never understand the Signals love and I enjoy every other 80s album

• Like 4

Signals is only as acclaimed as it is within the fanbase (in a lot of your top 5), because age-wise, many of you became fans after Moving Pictures came out.

Signals isn't that great. If all the same people became fans after Presto you would all be calling Roll The Bones a masterpiece. I'll never understand the Signals love and I enjoy every other 80s album

I'm not enamored with Signals either, however, I'll take it over any album released post CP...
  • Like 1

I'm not enamored with Signals either, however, I'll take it over any album released post CP...

For sure! I have a soft spot for T4E but otherwise I agree.

• Like 1

Unpopular opinions? John Rutsey was way better than Neil Peart!

No, just kidding. ;)

I actually don't know what a popular Rush opinion is so I probably can't post an unpopular one. I think Hold your fire and roll the bones are among their most under rated albums though. How's that? Lol.

• Like 2

For sure! I have a soft spot for T4E but otherwise I agree.

Actually, Virtuality is one of my very favorite Lifeson riffs. It's vicious!
  • Like 2