Post Unpopular Rush Opinions

Eel Yddeg

Signals is only as acclaimed as it is within the fanbase (in a lot of your top 5), because age-wise, many of you became fans after Moving Pictures came out.

Signals isn't that great. If all the same people became fans after Presto you would all be calling Roll The Bones a masterpiece. I'll never understand the Signals love and I enjoy every other 80s album

I'm not enamored with Signals either, however, I'll take it over any album released post CP...

For sure! I have a soft spot for T4E but otherwise I agree.

Actually, Virtuality is one of my very favorite Lifeson riffs. It's vicious!

And the solo from Time and Motion is savage!

• Like 3

Signals is only as acclaimed as it is within the fanbase (in a lot of your top 5), because age-wise, many of you became fans after Moving Pictures came out.

Signals isn't that great. If all the same people became fans after Presto you would all be calling Roll The Bones a masterpiece. I'll never understand the Signals love and I enjoy every other 80s album

I'm not enamored with Signals either, however, I'll take it over any album released post CP...

For sure! I have a soft spot for T4E but otherwise I agree.

Actually, Virtuality is one of my very favorite Lifeson riffs. It's vicious!

And the solo from Time and Motion is savage!

:yes:
  • Like 2

No no no no, Neurotica is hands down the worst chorus. Even tossed in some weak "whoahooos..." to try and take up space

I agree that the chorus to Neurotica is putrid and probably the worst, but Between Sun and Moon has to be in the picture at least, doesn't it?

And you can't forget Take a Friend either I wouldn't think.

I don’t agree with your premise. The reason so many people became fans after MP is because of that album’s quality. Presto is right in the middle of a very long stretch of relatively mediocre output. Signals is the tail end of their golden era. People love it because Rush was still at the top of their game when they put out Signals, and it shows with the material released from 1978-1982. It’s not on par with its 3 immediate predecessors (although I like it more than Hemispheres), but it’s better than everything after it.

• Like 2

I don’t agree with your premise. The reason so many people became fans after MP is because of that album’s quality. Presto is right in the middle of a very long stretch of relatively mediocre output. Signals is the tail end of their golden era. People love it because Rush was still at the top of their game when they put out Signals, and it shows with the material released from 1978-1982. It’s not on par with its 3 immediate predecessors (although I like it more than Hemispheres), but it’s better than everything after it.

Once again: opinion, not fact.

• Like 1

Not to mention that no one ever became a Rush fan BECAUSE of Presto.

• Like 1

Once again: opinion, not fact.

Once again, the whole forum is people posting their opinions. We pretty much all stipulate to that.

• Like 3

Not to mention that no one ever became a Rush fan BECAUSE of Presto.

Indeed, one is more likely to find the converse. It was true of me with the album before Presto.

• Like 2

Take A Friend is better than most pf the other 70's Rush songs

On a keyboard, the nine is to the RIGHT of the eight, not the left.

• Like 2

Signals is great. Imo the perfect balance of enough keys but not too much.

I do think that you are onto something though.

I have long thought that people tend to favor music that was released shortly after they became fans.

I guess in some way we like to think that they were peaking or at least still relevant when we got into them....

• Like 1

Signals is great. Imo the perfect balance of enough keys but not too much.

I do think that you are onto something though.

I have long thought that people tend to favor music that was released shortly after they became fans.

I guess in some way we like to think that they were peaking or at least still relevant when we got into them....

I think HYF had the best keyboard balance from Signals-HYF as I said in a post a while back, but they definitely got swamped with GuP.

I think you're right with your reasoning there

No no no no, Neurotica is hands down the worst chorus. Even tossed in some weak "whoahooos..." to try and take up space

I will respectfully and wholeheartedly agree with you... And while Neurotica holds that dubious honor for choruses, the absolute worst line in any of their songs, (IMO), is "Dance around my totem pole.....Totem po~~ole" :blink:

I will respectfully and wholeheartedly agree with you... And while Neurotica holds that dubious honor for choruses, the absolute worst line in any of their songs, (IMO), is "Dance around my totem pole.....Totem po~~ole" :blink:

Saviorrrs and Saaatans

• Like 1

Provided good-faith & not simply trolling hyperbole, every opinion of a RUSH fan about matters RUSH is both popular & unpopular by default. There will be plenty of RUSH fans who subscribe to the general notion put forth, as well as plenty who reject it. Also, as regards an alternative connotation of the terms "popular" & "unpopular", there will be fans who like and fans who do not like the opinion put forth, i.e. it will be at once both popular & unpopular to the respective fan.
  • Like 1

Signals is only as acclaimed as it is within the fanbase (in a lot of your top 5), because age-wise, many of you became fans after Moving Pictures came out. Signals isn't that great. If all the same people became fans after Presto you would all be calling Roll The Bones a masterpiece. I'll never understand the Signals love and I enjoy every other 80s album

Signals is great. Imo the perfect balance of enough keys but not too much. I do think that you are onto something though. I have long thought that people tend to favor music that was released shortly after they became fans. I guess in some way we like to think that they were peaking or at least still relevant when we got into them....

Insofar as it corresponds to the "age-wise" part of this idea, I imagine this might not be inaccurate. However, central to the point of this opinion is something that could be distilled down to whether or not it is factual: that Signals is "only acclaimed as it is within the fanbase" because of this idea. Whether or not that is true I cannot say, but I do know that my experience and that of many other fans I know — which includes how I observed that other so-called fans had reacted to the album — belies the opinion. I use "so-called fans" because I'm thinking of one particular person (who is indeed of a type) who would have counted himself a RUSH fan but barely knew any of their output, and his reaction to Signals was limited to "New World Man", the only song from the album he had heard and probably would be aware of (and a guy who expressed a preference to Triumph in his Canadian trio comparison). Conversely, another friend of mine who counted himself a RUSH fan stated at a party at which someone put Signals on the turntable that he didn't like it at first, but then he heard "Neil back there [doing Neil things]" and began to dig it.

To my main point: I am a huge proponent of Signals as seminal, if not masterpiece, and I became a fan after purchasing the recently released All the World's a Stage. I loved it so much after wearing out the "2112" side that I went and bought that album and learned to really love the same side including the two sections not played in the live set, "III Discovery" and "V Oracle: The Dream". It was A Farewell to Kings and Fly by Night that I became a fan of next. I was so busy buying back stuff that I totally missed Hemispheres upon release but got Permanent Waves when it came out and, man, did that blow me away. This is where I began my own personal RUSH-fan tradition of having to hear something several times before I would realise that it didn't suck but was actually that much more awesome: "Natural Science".

Not entirely in this vein it was Moving Pictures, with its radio friendly hit that first seemed like I wasn't gonna like one of their albums. That is, "Tom Sawyer" seemed too pop-infested for my taste, but similarly, I became acclimated to it and would subsequently hear the deeper value it had.

Then came Signals. I have fond memories of putting it on the hi-fi and rocking & swooning at the rundown of great songs. After rocking so friggin' hard to "Digital Man" and hurriedly flipping it over to receive "The Weapon" with such joyful bemusement, it would be many years before I would retrospectively be able to think that it only loses steam with the last track, which at that time, I suppose, I had had enough of the album's energy in my bones that knowing the album was just about over, I didn't really notice it that much.

Signals is Terry Brown's last hurrah and as such is integral to both the band's and my development of music appreciation. I agree that my age factors into it, but it has zilch to do with Moving Pictures.

Edited by Ged Lent's sis
  • Like 4

Signals is only as acclaimed as it is within the fanbase (in a lot of your top 5), because age-wise, many of you became fans after Moving Pictures came out. Signals isn't that great. If all the same people became fans after Presto you would all be calling Roll The Bones a masterpiece. I'll never understand the Signals love and I enjoy every other 80s album

Signals is great. Imo the perfect balance of enough keys but not too much. I do think that you are onto something though. I have long thought that people tend to favor music that was released shortly after they became fans. I guess in some way we like to think that they were peaking or at least still relevant when we got into them....

Insofar as it corresponds to the "age-wise" part of this idea, I imagine this might not be inaccurate. However, central to the point of this opinion is something that could be distilled down to whether or not it is factual: that Signals is "only acclaimed as it is within the fanbase" because of this idea. Whether or not that is true I cannot say, but I do know that my experience and that of many other fans I know — which includes how I observed that other so-called fans had reacted to the album — belies the opinion. I use "so-called fans" because I'm thinking of one particular person (who is indeed of a type) who would have counted himself a RUSH fan but barely knew any of their output, and his reaction to Signals was limited to "New World Man", the only song from the album he had heard and probably would be aware of (and a guy who expressed a preference to Triumph in his Canadian trio comparison). Conversely, another friend of mine who counted himself a RUSH fan stated at a party at which someone put Signals on the turntable that he didn't like it at first, but then he heard "Neil back there [doing Neil things]" and began to dig it.

To my main point: I am a huge proponent of Signals as seminal, if not masterpiece, and I became a fan after purchasing the recently released All the World's a Stage. I loved it so much after wearing out the "2112" side that I went and bought that album and learned to really love the same side including the two sections not played in the live set, "III Discovery" and "V Oracle: The Dream". It was A Farewell to Kings and Fly by Night that I became a fan of next. I was so busy buying back stuff that I totally missed Hemispheres upon release but got Permanent Waves when it came out and, man, did that blow me away. This is where I began my own personal RUSH-fan tradition of having to hear something several times before I would realise that it didn't suck but was actually that much more awesome: "Natural Science".

Not entirely in this vein it was Moving Pictures, with its radio friendly hit that first seemed like I wasn't gonna like one of their albums. That is, "Tom Sawyer" seemed too pop-infested for my taste, but similarly, I became acclimated to it and would subsequently hear the deeper value it had.

Then came Signals. I have fond memories of putting it on the hi-fi and rocking & swooning at the rundown of great songs. After rocking so friggin' hard to "Digital Man" and hurriedly flipping it over to receive "The Weapon" with such joyful bemusement, it would be many years before I would retrospectively be able to think that it only loses steam with the last track, which at that time, I suppose, I had had enough of the album's energy in my bones that knowing the album was just about over, I didn't really notice it that much.

Signals is Terry Brown's last hurrah and as such is integral to both the band's and my development of music appreciation. I agree that my age factors into it, but it has zilch to do with Moving Pictures.

That's weird, because I, too, believe that Countdown should not have been the closing track. I've always thought that The Analog Kid would have been a much better song to wrap up such an awesome album with. :rush:
  • Like 2

To clarify that is my experience with other groups.

And rush too. My fave is hemisperes. I got fbn on 8 track. My first vinyl purchase was atwas.

My first show was perm waves at age 13.

• Like 2

Saviorrrs and Saaatans

LMAO

Insofar as it corresponds to the "age-wise" part of this idea, I imagine this might not be inaccurate. However, central to the point of this opinion is something that could be distilled down to whether or not it is factual: that Signals is "only acclaimed as it is within the fanbase" because of this idea. Whether or not that is true I cannot say, but I do know that my experience and that of many other fans I know — which includes how I observed that other so-called fans had reacted to the album — belies the opinion. I use "so-called fans" because I'm thinking of one particular person (who is indeed of a type) who would have counted himself a RUSH fan but barely knew any of their output, and his reaction to Signals was limited to "New World Man", the only song from the album he had heard and probably would be aware of (and a guy who expressed a preference to Triumph in his Canadian trio comparison). Conversely, another friend of mine who counted himself a RUSH fan stated at a party at which someone put Signals on the turntable that he didn't like it at first, but then he heard "Neil back there [doing Neil things]" and began to dig it. To my main point: I am a huge proponent of Signals as seminal, if not masterpiece, and I became a fan after purchasing the recently released All the World's a Stage. I loved it so much after wearing out the "2112" side that I went and bought that album and learned to really love the same side including the two sections not played in the live set, "III Discovery" and "V Oracle: The Dream". It was A Farewell to Kings and Fly by Night that I became a fan of next. I was so busy buying back stuff that I totally missed Hemispheres upon release but got Permanent Waves when it came out and, man, did that blow me away. This is where I began my own personal RUSH-fan tradition of having to hear something several times before I would realise that it didn't suck but was actually that much more awesome: "Natural Science". Not entirely in this vein it was Moving Pictures, with its radio friendly hit that first seemed like I wasn't gonna like one of their albums. That is, "Tom Sawyer" seemed too pop-infested for my taste, but similarly, I became acclimated to it and would subsequently hear the deeper value it had. Then came Signals. I have fond memories of putting it on the hi-fi and rocking & swooning at the rundown of great songs. After rocking so friggin' hard to "Digital Man" and hurriedly flipping it over to receive "The Weapon" with such joyful bemusement, it would be many years before I would retrospectively be able to think that it only loses steam with the last track, which at that time, I suppose, I had had enough of the album's energy in my bones that knowing the album was just about over, I didn't really notice it that much. Signals is Terry Brown's last hurrah and as such is integral to both the band's and my development of music appreciation. I agree that my age factors into it, but it has zilch to do with Moving Pictures.

And rush too. My fave is hemisperes. I got fbn on 8 track. My first vinyl purchase was atwas.

Ditto re. being 13 for Permanent Waves as my first ever rock concert. I had recorded that tour's live St. Louis show from the radio and wore it out for about 10 weeks until the night arrived.

After 2112, I entered one of those "buy 6 albums or tapes for 1 cent" deals and got vinyls of FtK and FbN and CoS and the first two VH albums. For some reason I got Sabbath's Paranoid on 8-track to round out the initial order. After the experience of having it "click over" during "Planet Caravan" I was done buying those.

• Like 2

Insofar as it corresponds to the "age-wise" part of this idea, I imagine this might not be inaccurate. However, central to the point of this opinion is something that could be distilled down to whether or not it is factual: that Signals is "only acclaimed as it is within the fanbase" because of this idea. Whether or not that is true I cannot say, but I do know that my experience and that of many other fans I know — which includes how I observed that other so-called fans had reacted to the album — belies the opinion. I use "so-called fans" because I'm thinking of one particular person (who is indeed of a type) who would have counted himself a RUSH fan but barely knew any of their output, and his reaction to Signals was limited to "New World Man", the only song from the album he had heard and probably would be aware of (and a guy who expressed a preference to Triumph in his Canadian trio comparison). Conversely, another friend of mine who counted himself a RUSH fan stated at a party at which someone put Signals on the turntable that he didn't like it at first, but then he heard "Neil back there [doing Neil things]" and began to dig it. To my main point: I am a huge proponent of Signals as seminal, if not masterpiece, and I became a fan after purchasing the recently released All the World's a Stage. I loved it so much after wearing out the "2112" side that I went and bought that album and learned to really love the same side including the two sections not played in the live set, "III Discovery" and "V Oracle: The Dream". It was A Farewell to Kings and Fly by Night that I became a fan of next. I was so busy buying back stuff that I totally missed Hemispheres upon release but got Permanent Waves when it came out and, man, did that blow me away. This is where I began my own personal RUSH-fan tradition of having to hear something several times before I would realise that it didn't suck but was actually that much more awesome: "Natural Science". Not entirely in this vein it was Moving Pictures, with its radio friendly hit that first seemed like I wasn't gonna like one of their albums. That is, "Tom Sawyer" seemed too pop-infested for my taste, but similarly, I became acclimated to it and would subsequently hear the deeper value it had. Then came Signals. I have fond memories of putting it on the hi-fi and rocking & swooning at the rundown of great songs. After rocking so friggin' hard to "Digital Man" and hurriedly flipping it over to receive "The Weapon" with such joyful bemusement, it would be many years before I would retrospectively be able to think that it only loses steam with the last track, which at that time, I suppose, I had had enough of the album's energy in my bones that knowing the album was just about over, I didn't really notice it that much. Signals is Terry Brown's last hurrah and as such is integral to both the band's and my development of music appreciation. I agree that my age factors into it, but it has zilch to do with Moving Pictures.

Ditto re. being 13 for Permanent Waves as my first ever rock concert. I had recorded that tour's live St. Louis show from the radio and wore it out for about 10 weeks until the night arrived.

After 2112, I entered one of those "buy 6 albums or tapes for 1 cent" deals and got vinyls of FtK and FbN and CoS and the first two VH albums. For some reason I got Sabbath's Paranoid on 8-track to round out the initial order. After the experience of having it "click over" during "Planet Caravan" I was done buying those.

Right on! Its funny as i just listened to that st Louis show on youtube.

Also that 6 for 1 record club is how i got my fbn 8 track.

• Like 2

Saviorrrs and Saaatans

T4E is loaded with cringe-worthy lyrics.
  • Like 2