Post Unpopular Rush Opinions

Eel Yddeg

New Rush, or as I'd call it, mature Rush, is better than old Rush. The musicianship was top-notch in the 70's, if a bit self-indulgent. But the fantasy/sci-fi/story songs are a bit silly.

The Fountain of Lamneth is awful.

Vapor Trail, Secret Touch, Earthshine is the best 3-song run in the band's studio catalog.

Presto is a top 5 album if you just CRANK IT UP.

The weird songs are really cool because you get to hear your favorite musicians in a completely different musical environment. Tai Shan and Red Lenses are the two biggest songs in that group.

Jacob's Ladder and The Camera Eye could have been about 4 minutes long; the main riffs repeat for way too long.

The band sonically sounded best on Test for Echo. Meaning on the production end of things.

Signals is one of the worst-mix/master/production jobs in the catalog, and it was a good move to go separate ways with Terry Brown after it.

Grace Under Pressure is actually a guitar-heavy album, and despite the fact it has synths, it shouldn't really be thought of as a "synth" album. Watch some live footage, Alex is killing it on that album. Between the Wheels in particular.

Power Windows, not Hold Your Fire, was the most synth-y.

Live albums that sound like studio albums aren't worth my time.

The last time Rush was being truly creative and expanding themselves was on Vapor Trails. Snakes and Arrows and Clockwork Angels had the band falling back on their 70's and 80's hooks.

If I had to pinpoint the last song where Rush was "progressing" their sound, meaning re-inventing and invigorating, it'd be Peaceable Kingdom. In that song they were looking over the shoulder of alt/metal artists of that time period like Korn and System of a Down. It was the last time Rush was chasing the musical times. Which they did for their entire careers until Snakes and Arrows. In the late 70's and early 80's it was The Police, for example. They always used the musical climate as a lens for their sound. Until 2007.

I dunno. There's some unpopular opinions I hold.

It would appear as if you have just been crowned King of unpopular opinions ;)
  • Like 1

Cinderella Man stinks of cheese way worse than Dog Years or Red Lenses or Superconductor

I believe I am going to have to go climb the mountain and consult the Sage to see if there is any truth to this vicious rumor ...

Cinderella Man stinks of cheese way worse than Dog Years or Red Lenses or Superconductor

I believe I am going to have to go climb the mountain and consult the Sage to see if there is any truth to this vicious rumor ...

Musically it is fantastic, kind of reminds me of Elton John for some reason but still great. But lines like "He had a need to discover a use for his newly found wealth" are so clunky

• Like 1

Musically it is fantastic, kind of reminds me of Elton John for some reason but still great. But lines like "He had a need to discover a use for his newly found wealth" are so clunky

Yeah, I think this album is where Neil started waxing philosophical...

Cinderella Man is a Geddy lyric! I think he was trying to be Neil a bit though.

Cinderella Man is a Geddy lyric! I think he was trying to be Neil a bit though.

Here's an unpopular Rush opinion...The other two seen to follow Neil's (changing) world view pretty closely. Too closely. When I saw Lifeson reading "The God Delusion", it didn't seem too consistent with what seems like what would pursue his interests. Fortunately, Al and Ged don't seem to share his misanthropy, though.

Note: I'm not arguing that there's anything wrong with a changing worldview, in fact, it shows the ability to take in and react to new information in an appropriate way. Likewise, there's nothing wrong about skepticism about the existence of God. It's more that their worldviews seem to move in synchronicity a little too closely.

Edited by laughedatbytime

"I'm not arguing that there's anything wrong with a changing worldview"

In fact, it shows the ability to take in and react to new information in an appropriate way."

Likewise, there's nothing wrong about skepticism about the existence of God."

It's more that their worldviews seem to move in synchronicity a little too closely."

Set those lyrics to a sequence of atonal arpeggios in alternating 13-7-6-11/8 time and you've got the third best song on AFTK.

:P

Edited by goose
  • Like 5

In fact, it shows the ability to take in and react to new information in an appropriate way."

It's more that their worldviews seem to move in synchronicity a little too closely."

Set those lyrics to a sequence of atonal arpeggios in alternating 13-7-6-11/8 time and you've got the third best song on AFTK.

And it would downright save S&A, and only partially by contradicting the tent revival feel of the non-instrumentals (and Far Cry, I guess).

• Like 3

And it would downright save S&A, and only partially by contradicting the tent revival feel of the non-instrumentals (and Far Cry, I guess).

:ebert:
  • Like 2

I loved it immediately, maybe because I had not long before seen and liked the pertinent Gary Cooper flick at the dollar cinema near my house growing up. I couldn't believe my favourite band were singing about Mr. Deeds!

• Like 3

I loved it immediately, maybe because I had not long before seen and liked the pertinent Gary Cooper flick at the dollar cinema near my house growing up. I couldn't believe my favourite band were singing about Mr. Deeds!

Well, now that you put it that way..... LOL :rush:
  • Like 2

Hold Your Fire blends synths, bass, and guitar the best of the Signals-Hyf run of albums

No disagreement from me :rush:
  • Like 1

The Police did The Police much, much better than Rush did The Police in the 80s.

Is that unpopular?