Post Unpopular Rush Opinions

Eel Yddeg

Subdivisions as the opening track put people off Signals.

Absolutely.

The fact that song was one of their most well known and best received songs in their live set was all an illusion. Futher proof is that the album went platinum and how crazy everyone went when they opened their show with it on the CA tour.

Yeah, that's exactly the reaction a song that puts people off would get.

The hastily composed New World Man continued the alienation of fans, as it became the band's only Billboard top 40 hit, while reaching #1 on the Top Tracks chart. :P
  • Like 2

The juggle guy was actually intended to be the cover photo but it was relegated to the inside at the last minute for whatever reason

More history on the HYF cover art...

http://news.cygnus-x...um-artwork.html

In the late 1980's, photographer Glen Wexler often collaborated with long-ime Rush album artist Hugh Syme. One of those projects was the photo shoot of the now infamous 'fire juggler' image that is the primary interior artwork for Rush's 1987 album...

In hindsight, both Hugh and I regretted using that image in the inside of package. It was a little too “clever” using the three red balls for the cover, and leaving the more epic and memorable image for the inside of the packaging. While it might not look like it, the cover with the red balls is photography, as well. I had my set guys physically sculpt the RUSH text into a 4’ x 8’ surface that was then painted a high gloss red by an auto body shop. The printer combined the red billiard balls during the pre-press. I still have the set piece in my garage. I thought it would make a cool door.

An interesting note:

In the original version [of the fireball juggler shot], we also flew in the boy who modeled for Hugh’s painting for the “Power Window” cover. He was seen looking out of the apartment window, but it was decided that he didn’t really enhance the shot...there was so much going on. Earlier Rush covers are referenced in the image, and “Power Windows” was covered by the period TV sets in the room.

Made in Germany. The juggler pics were taken at the Bavaria studios München. :hail:

• Like 1

The juggle guy was actually intended to be the cover photo but it was relegated to the inside at the last minute for whatever reason

More history on the HYF cover art...

http://news.cygnus-x...um-artwork.html

In the late 1980's, photographer Glen Wexler often collaborated with long-ime Rush album artist Hugh Syme. One of those projects was the photo shoot of the now infamous 'fire juggler' image that is the primary interior artwork for Rush's 1987 album...

In hindsight, both Hugh and I regretted using that image in the inside of package. It was a little too “clever” using the three red balls for the cover, and leaving the more epic and memorable image for the inside of the packaging. While it might not look like it, the cover with the red balls is photography, as well. I had my set guys physically sculpt the RUSH text into a 4’ x 8’ surface that was then painted a high gloss red by an auto body shop. The printer combined the red billiard balls during the pre-press. I still have the set piece in my garage. I thought it would make a cool door.

An interesting note:

In the original version [of the fireball juggler shot], we also flew in the boy who modeled for Hugh’s painting for the “Power Window” cover. He was seen looking out of the apartment window, but it was decided that he didn’t really enhance the shot...there was so much going on. Earlier Rush covers are referenced in the image, and “Power Windows” was covered by the period TV sets in the room.

Made in Germany. The juggler pics were taken at the Bavaria studios München. :hail:

oktoberfest_bier_madchen_plate-r0eaa6afa75694c5c99969f9d695cd731_ambb0_8byvr_540.jpg

Absolutely.

The fact that song was one of their most well known and best received songs in their live set was all an illusion. Futher proof is that the album went platinum and how crazy everyone went when they opened their show with it on the CA tour.

I take the Signals criticism around here with a grain of salt. You have people who post in the “rank the albums” threads that MP and PeW are in the bottom 50%, well behind anything released after them.

• Like 1

Absolutely.

I take the Signals criticism around here with a grain of salt. You have people who post in the “rank the albums” threads that MP and PeW are in the bottom 50%, well behind anything released after them.

Don't get me wrong I like both Signals and Subdivisions, just feel it was the wrong song to have as the opening song.

KISS fans > Rush fans.

If Rush fans were better, Geddy Lee would have made sure they'd have Rush coffins to be buried in. But nope.

Absolutely.

Don't get me wrong I like both Signals and Subdivisions, just feel it was the wrong song to have as the opening song.

Then what song should have opened the album? I don't see any other track on Signals being a better choice.

• Like 2

I like the minimalism of the Hold Your Fire cover but it's pretty boring.

This might actually be a popular one but the juggler photo should have been the front cover.

Yeah, that as a cover would have been definitive RUSH and much more appropriate.

Absolutely.

Then what song should have opened the album? I don't see any other track on Signals being a better choice.

I agree. Subdivisions works best as an opener. I feel like its intro would interrupt the flow of the album anywhere else in the tracklist.

• Like 1

Contrary to the battering lyricist's Randian objectivist cum bleeding-heart Libertarian evolution, Power Windows contains the seeds that belie this range of viewpoint and proffer one of the best arguments for Anarchy — ironically by way of the Hegelian dialectic — namely, "The Big Money", with its inevitable naked truth about the result of the accumulation of capital, "Manhattan Project", lamenting the dearth of virtue in science once the experiment is dictated from above and without, and "Territories" taking a bold look at how such simply does not create anything but the enigma of tribe over community.

And if that wasn't unpopular enough, I got a hunk of Neil's irrational side, with a paraphrase that keeps it as snide:

Big money got a soul.

Absolutely.

I agree. Subdivisions works best as an opener. I feel like its intro would interrupt the flow of the album anywhere else in the tracklist.

Good point about the intro disrupting the flow of the album if Subdivisions is in another spot. I suppose Analog Kid would have made a good opening track instead. Great rocker with an excellent solo from Alex. But it gives you the wrong impression of the album's musical direction. Subdivisions sets that tone much better.

• Like 2

Absolutely.

You rate AFTK low so shut the f**k up

Absolutely.

That's because it's incredibly overrated. Cygnus X-1? Often atonal. Madrigal? Not good. Title track? Overwrought and overrated.

Take Xanadu off that album and you'd have a problem on your hands.

• Like 1

Absolutely.

That's because it's incredibly overrated. Cygnus X-1? Often atonal. Madrigal? Not good. Title track? Overwrought and overrated.

And I think its divine and Signals is vastly inferior.

How dare people think otherwise.

Xanadu is probably my third favourite track.

Edited by Segue Myles

Absolutely.

So you were serious with the shut the f*ck up, comment. I doubt very much you'd have the courage to say that to my face.

You prattling on with "it's my opinion, wah" is boring. Either toughen up or stick to writing a blog.

Absolutely.

Good point about the intro disrupting the flow of the album if Subdivisions is in another spot. I suppose Analog Kid would have made a good opening track instead. Great rocker with an excellent solo from Alex. But it gives you the wrong impression of the album's musical direction. Subdivisions sets that tone much better.

Subdivisions is the perfect opener. It sets the tone perfectly, and sets my expectations appropriately low

• Like 1

Absolutely.

Whoa!!! :)

Cygnus is fantastic. The title track epic. Madrigal is so-so. AFTK is a magnificent chunk of rock/metal!

• Like 1

Absolutely.

Whoa!!! :)

Cygnus is fantastic. The title track epic. Madrigal is so-so. AFTK is a magnificent chunk of rock/metal!

This album just does not work for me. I like it much more than the HYF - T4E run, so everything is relative. Oddly, Cinderella Man is probably my second favorite song on it.

• Like 1

Absolutely.

So you were serious with the shut the f*ck up, comment. I doubt very much you'd have the courage to say that to my face.

You prattling on with "it's my opinion, wah" is boring. Either toughen up or stick to writing a blog.

Sorry I assumed it read as am "lol" post. I always seem to come off a moody bint on here lol.

Absolutely.

Thread is about opinions, right? My track listing for Signals IMO!

Analog Kid

The Weapon

Chemistry

Countdown

Subdivisions

New World Man

Losing It

Digital Man

Edited by tas7

Absolutely.

Analog Kid

The Weapon

Chemistry

Countdown

Subdivisions

New World Man

Losing It

Digital Man

I like your choice of Analog Kid as the opener! :rush:

Absolutely.

Analog Kid

The Weapon

Chemistry

Countdown

Subdivisions

New World Man

Losing It

Digital Man

I can see your logic, but Subdivisions is such an obvious opener with that synth intro, and Countdown is such an obvious closer with its fade out into outer space and sound effects that your list just doesn't work in my eyes. Also one of the first things I loved about the album is how Subdivisions opens with those low syncopated synth octaves, and Countdown echoes them in a different key and time signature at its own start, bookending the record very nicely.

Absolutely.

Subdivisions is the perfect opener. It sets the tone perfectly, and sets my expectations appropriately low

:D :D :D

And to think I always pretend to like Subdivisions more than I actually do to avoid being abused haha

Finally! I'm not the only one who doesn't think it is the best thing ever haha

Absolutely.

i lquite ike side one of it. but just like. Side 2 has NOTHING appealing. like i'd rather watch flies fukk.

Shout out to my man George Carlin, lol

Mick