Post Unpopular Rush Opinions

Eel Yddeg

The lyrics to Snakes and Arrows were written by an angry, bitter, self-important old man.

Haha...

All a matter of perception, really.

Perception? Indeed... "...written by an angry, bitter, self-important old man."? Absolutely (except for the "old" part)

Replace old with bigoted, then. It certainly doesn't make it any LESS accurate.

Here's one to get me killed:

I hate Limelight. It ruins MP for me. If I hear it on the radio I turn it off. I hate the riff, the solo is really lame but trying to sound grandiose, the changing time signatures don't find a groove. And although I admire the sentiment of the lyrics, they come across as whiney to me.

When I was getting into Rush I heard great songs like Xanadu and The Trees, then got into some of the poppy GuP-Presto stuff, and then heard Limelight and thought "what is this shit? And it's one of their most popular songs??"

I don't get it and my mind can't be changed.

That’s easily the most unpopular Rush opinion on here I’ve heard in a long time, especially about the solo. Respect for swimming directly against the flow of traffic, but I cannot agree on a single count.

• Like 3

I hate Limelight. It ruins MP for me. If I hear it on the radio I turn it off. I hate the riff, the solo is really lame but trying to sound grandiose, the changing time signatures don't find a groove. And although I admire the sentiment of the lyrics, they come across as whiney to me.

When I was getting into Rush I heard great songs like Xanadu and The Trees, then got into some of the poppy GuP-Presto stuff, and then heard Limelight and thought "what is this shit? And it's one of their most popular songs??"

That’s easily the most unpopular Rush opinion on here I’ve heard in a long time, especially about the solo. Respect for swimming directly against the flow of traffic, but I cannot agree on a single count.

I know...it's such a great song...then again I really don't like Stick It Out and it's a favourite of many fans

• Like 2

Roll the bones..

• Like 1

I think Clockwork Angels is better than Signals, 2112, Power Windows, Fly By Night and possibly Caress Of Steel.

:LMAO: :whip:

I take this the f**k back

I still really like CA now but....I really was not write with this LMAO

Hence my revisiting this great bands work from start to finish!

All is forgiven and you are restored to your rightful place as a true disciple :guitar:
  • Like 1

The singing on any live recording (or live in general) post Rush in Rio of YYZ makes me hate those fans and that instrumental.

You, sir, are not alone in this. Limelight, New World Man and Dreamline, as examples.
  • Like 1

I can't stand New World Man...

I don't think many will like what I write about Signals.......

• Like 1

I can't stand New World Man...

I don't think many will like what I write about Signals.......

NWM is just unpalatable.... I don't know what they were even thinking. Hadn't they stopped smoking pot by the time they wrote this? :rfl:
  • Like 1

Considering all the songs on the album, I have to admit that it is underwhelming. It hardly ruins the album for me, though. And, regarding the lyrics, I don't find it whiny, but rather a deft explanation to the fan why their enthusiasm cannot be reciprocated. I makes complete sense to me and has actually informed my current attitude that meets & greets and autographs are just silly (t'each their own, tho').

The lyrics, by the way, are reminiscent of ELP's "Still... Your Turn Me On". Greg Lake's take is a bit more gracious, I admit.

• Like 3

70's Rush is the worst Rush

It iiiis pretty bad, objectively.

How?

• Like 3

There's hope for our friend Malfor. I didn't used to like Limelight, and would skip it when listening to MP. I appreciate it more now.
  • Like 1

How?

I'll confess that I find much of the beloved epic-era sophomoric, pretentious, and overindulgent. It's very self-aware...

hqdefault.jpg

• Like 1

Vapor Trails is a masterpiece, and Earthshine is a better song than Hemispheres.

Pole in the water :LMAO: Edited by tks95747

How?

I'll confess that I find much of the beloved epic-era sophomoric, pretentious, and overindulgent. It's very self-aware...

hqdefault.jpg

But for this "Sophmoric, pretentious, and overindulgent..beloved epic-era...", you would not be enjoying the best music to ever grace this planet.
  • Like 2

I don't mind the lyrics as much it's the music that doesn't do it for me. I think it's one of the most boring songs they've done. Even the solo. Sounds very thin to me too. Not a lot of sonic depth there either.

• Like 2

You, sir, are not alone in this. Limelight, New World Man and Dreamline, as examples.

I love New World Man and Dreamline because I find them interesting lyrically and musically. Limelight not so much.

• Like 2

Vapor Trails is a masterpiece, and Earthshine is a better song than Hemispheres.

Pole in the water :LMAO:

I'd rescue VT before Hemispheres if my house was on fire....

• Like 1