Three Albums of Production Complaints

JohnRogers

What if they said to Nick: Uh, Nick. This sounds awful.

And Nick said to them: No, no guys. This is great. Great. Great. Great. You'll see.

So, Geddy looks at Alex who goes :huh: . Then they both look at Neil who momentarily lifts his face out of the book he is reading and says :wtf: .

The rest is history. :)

;) ;)

• Like 1

Rush.......as much as i love them.........has become a group surrounded by yes men.

oh yes this sounds great. YOU GUYS ARE AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!

That will eventually go to your head no matter who you are.

Mick

I don't think they are surrounded by yes men. At least, I hope not. That's not very helpful to anyone.

I don't think that's happened ever with these guys.....

If you compare a good analog system with low noise and don't saturate the tape against a good digital system with no clipping, the sound will be very similar. Analog tape saturation is more forgiving than digital clipping. However, the more toys that are used to change the sound and the more tracks the greater the chance of messing the sound up or introducing phase issues.

I actually think CA's loud, brick walled production adds to the feel of the album as a whole. Like the songs were meant to be recorded that way.
  • Like 2

I actually think CA's loud, brick walled production adds to the feel of the album as a whole. Like the songs were meant to be recorded that way.

Lets please make the distinction clear. The mastering is brickwalled. Not the production.

So brickwalling doesn't refer to the artist's or producer's decision to layer in tons of instrumentation? It just has to do with tweaking the mix, making it louder? I've heard the term used a lot, but never really knew what it meant.

Does it mean, when I look at the wave image, I see no peaks but more or less just a solid band of sound?

Edited by toymaker

I don't think they care.........They Fixed VT somewhat, lol

only to do it again with CA........Yea they REALLY Care.

thanks boys.

if i sound bitter on this issue i am, lol

Mick

"Vapooper Trails" will always sound like shit to me. I like the production of "Snakes" but as for "Cockwork Angels" it sounds like crap. Nick should be fired. Well then again Rush won't be recording anytime soon. Nick also produced a band I really love called GHOST. Santanic cheese metal. Nick ruined their second album in my opinion. It sound like muddled shite.

Edited by RUSHHEAD666
  • Like 1

For me personally, good recorded music isn't just about the different instruments, but also the space between the instruments that allows each one to stand out in their own way. When you fill up that space with noise, it starts sounding less like music made by human beings and more like something that was generated in a laboratory. That's how I experience CA when I listen to it and it leaves me frustrated.
  • Like 2

For me personally, good recorded music isn't just about the different instruments, but also the space between the instruments that allows each one to stand out in their own way. When you fill up that space with noise, it starts sounding less like music made by human beings and more like something that was generated in a laboratory. That's how I experience CA when I listen to it and it leaves me frustrated.

Frankenstein Music

Rush.......as much as i love them.........has become a group surrounded by yes men.

Mick

Dude, you ARE awesome. Yes, yes and yes!

• Like 1

Mick

Dude, you ARE awesome. Yes, yes and yes!

why thank you. I AM Awesome.

I'm off to make a poor sounding record.

:dweez:

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 1

I think sometimes Rush's desire to do something different each time out has something to do with it....for example...much of Lees classic era bass playing and tone was very midrangey...sorta Chris Squire like...CA was the first time I can remember a huge low end like that...its very much a BASS sound....

But I really think what people are complaining about is post production stuff....and the loudness war stuff ....

Edited by JBsDWdrums

The problem with Vapor Trails, is that there is so much low end, causing it to sound really muddy.

I think Snakes is their best album of all, production and song wise. Actually, the production is what drew me to it.

With Clockwork Angels, they let Nick master it. Production and mastering are two completely different things, so I'm surprised they let him master it.

Edited by DistantEarlySignals

I actually think the production of the studio version of 2112 makes it sound wimpy. But they were probably recording it in a studio the size of my bedroom. I always play the ATWAS version instead so I can feel the skin peel back on my face. Edited by 2112FirstStreet

Agree on 2112.... it does sound wimpy by 2015 standards..still I love power ..dynamics...bass...all of it...just don't push it so hard it clips...I think it can be achieved!

One thing you notice actually seeing hearing...and feeling Rush live....they have a bigger sound than many of their studio lbums lead you to believe...and that's been the case on every tour I've seen (all since Signals)....they always sound richer live.

• Like 1

I had no idea aboot album via email. I guess it can be done but it can't be better.

Regarding this whole "not recording together" thing... Anyone heard an album called "Rumors"? That one seems to have turned out ok.

Mick

and that is exactly why I don't like Nick as a producer. He's such an obvious fanboy he doesn't seem to have it in him to tell the band when something sucks. (hence most of the boring dreck of the Snakes album)

The problem with Vapor Trails, is that there is so much low end, causing it to sound really muddy.

I think Snakes is their best album of all, production and song wise. Actually, the production is what drew me to it.

With Clockwork Angels, they let Nick master it. Production and mastering are two completely different things, so I'm surprised they let him master it.

I did not know that. It doesn't seem wise. You should have a fresh set of ears when you go to master something - not the same guy who has been involved in every aspect from the beginning.

The only Rush albums who's production bothers me to the point where it distracts me from the music is Signals (too washed out and foggy), Roll The Bones (Alex's guitar tone is so wimpy and pushed back in the mix, even more so than HYF) original Vapor Trails (wall of noise) and Clockwork (again, wall of noise)

For me, Clockwork Angels has some of the best bass tones I've ever heard out of Rush. I actually like the production on that album. Snakes and Arrows had good production in my opinion too. Vapor Trails was the one with poor production, but still had some good songs.
  • Like 1

I still would like to know when they go into the studio to work on a new album, who foots the bill? And who pays for the producer?

At this point, their company foots the bill.

Would you happen to know, or can you give a good estimate, of how much the entire production (including paying the producer) of creating a new album would cost?

No idea, but I recall that Permanent Waves era interview with Geddy in which the interview mentioned that Fleetwood Mac had spent a couple of million on Tusk.

Here's a link - 15 most expensive albums http://mentalfloss.c...st-fortune-make

Lorraine, "Rush" and "Fly by Night" have a better sound than "Vapor Trails" and "Clockwork Angels." I don't think the boys were exactly wiping their asses with $100 bills back in '74 and '75!

• Like 1