Favorit keyboard players

YYZumbi

Also, Matt Bellamy falls under that category as well. A simple listen to the Muse song "Butterflies and Hurricanes" should indicate why.

I agree, and you picked a beautiful song to illustrate your point. I think he's much better on the piano than the guitar...

• Like 1

Revamping my list, separating keys and piano (though there's always overlap). No particular order for this.

Keys:

Rick Wakeman

Tony Kaye

Keith Emerson

Richard Wright

Geddy Lee

Tony Banks

Greg Hawkes (The Cars)

Jordan Rudess

Hugh Syme (2112 just wouldn't be the same)

John Paul Jones

Piano:

Elton John

Freddie Mercury

Billy Joel

Matt Bellamy

Chris Martin

Dave Brubeck

(probably my favorite of all time is a friend of mine from my high school jazz band a couple years ago. He studies jazz piano in college now, it IMO he could've recorded and sold millions years ago without any more studies. Most magical piano playing I've ever heard, but I won't say his name.)

Roy Bittan (E Street Band)

Dennis Deyoung (so he was more of a synth player, but his piano stuff is my favorite, a lot of these played both anyway)

Paul McCartney / John Lennon (don't care how proficient they are/were, they wrote some of the most perfect songs ever heard on the piano, and that makes them excellent pianists as far as I'm concerned. Similar sentiment for Chris Martin above)

Others certainly rank, but these ones come to mind quickly.

• Like 1

And the last one! (at least from me)

We can also count piano players in this thread.

Hey man! You stole my thunder!!!! LOL! Just kidding! I was going to do a keyboard thread but I figured someone else would do it! Nice!

1. Tony Banks GENESIS

2. Nameless Ghoul GHOST

3. Mark Kelly Marillion

4. Michael Sadler/Jim Crichton SAGA

5. John Carpenter

Geddy

Benmont Tench

Richard Wright (rip)

Ray Manzarek (rip)

Wakeman

Surprised no one else mentioned Benmont. The most recognizable element of the Heartbreakers is his keyboard sound. It's like it's so ingrained in my mind. It's been a staple of my diet since I was a kid even though I've never been the hugest TP fan.