Am I the only one getting a little sad as July 31st ticks away?

JohnRogers

They were awesome in Denver

For most of us, aside the hiatus in the 90's due family tragedy, every two years or so you had a tour to look forward to. That appears over and is a little sad.

• Like 1

No, but I understand why anyone would be sad.

Personally, I've only seen them a handful of times spread over 30+ years: first ever gig at 10 years old for Signals, high school senior for Presto, RTB & Counterparts in college, then twice for the Snakes & Arrows tour (had to fly 7,000 or so miles for that). Life & location have kept live Rush from becoming more usual for me. So I'm used to not being able to see them in concert.

I didn't think they were done back during their hiatus in the late 90s and I don't think they're done now. They'll be slowing down a lot more but the show tomorrow night will not be the last time we hear from Rush.

That was a different time. I think they /were/ over at the time. I think, they think they were over at the time.

I started embracing DT and Beard a lot more because i thought there was no more Rush. But that was then. After tomorrow, there will still be a Rush.

Beard?

I'm not sad in the last. I've been hoping they'd retire from touring for quite some time now. It's been very hard going to shows over the last decade and a half hoping that each time I saw them it wouldn't leave me feeling more sorry for them than before. I would rather they had quit when they were closer to their peak, but I guess I'll just to have to lump it on that score.

JARG, did you see them this tour?

No.

Yes, I'm getting very depressed, because I didn't get to see them until recently, due to my complete ignorance.

I've said this before and I'll say it again: Rush doesn't need to ever "go out of business," "stop touring," or "stop existing." If Peart doesn't want to drum anymore, then find a replacement. Obviously, Lee wants to continue. None of the athletes on your favorite sports team were playing for that team when your father was a kid, and none of the athletes that he saw are on the team that you enjoy, yet, yet everyone still roots for their favorite team and goes to see them play. In fact, that is why sports are so huge and why fans are fanatical. It's tradition. You can't tell me with a straight face that you wouldn't go see Rush tour because the drummer wasn't Peart. The drummer that he(or they) hand pick to replace him will be capable of doing the job.

While I get why some are sad, I am not.

Whatever path they choose to follow from here on out, I simply say this (as I tip my cap) to all three men.... "Thank you."

Many of my most cherished Rush moments were at concerts, but so many more were not....

* debating the meaning of various things with friends over beers while Rush played in the background

* pulling on a pair of headphones to escape the world for a while and listen to an entire album

* hearing my children sing various Rush songs from the back seat of truck

* that moment one of the drum majors looked at me during a football game, smiled, and said, "This one, sir, is for you", and then climbed up her ladder to conduct the band in an arrangement of "Subdivisions"

Some memories do indeed last forever.

• Like 1

Yes, I'm getting very depressed, because I didn't get to see them until recently, due to my complete ignorance.

I've said this before and I'll say it again: Rush doesn't need to ever "go out of business," "stop touring," or "stop existing." If Peart doesn't want to drum anymore, then find a replacement. Obviously, Lee wants to continue. None of the athletes on your favorite sports team were playing for that team when your father was a kid, and none of the athletes that he saw are on the team that you enjoy, yet, yet everyone still roots for their favorite team and goes to see them play. In fact, that is why sports are so huge and why fans are fanatical. It's tradition. You can't tell me with a straight face that you wouldn't go see Rush tour because the drummer wasn't Peart. The drummer that he(or they) hand pick to replace him will be capable of doing the job.

Actually, yes. I can.

Nor would I see them without Lifeson.

Nor would I see them without Lee.

I get that you came to the party later than some of us, but I think you should understand that for, many of us, Rush is a three-legged table. Take away one of those legs and the table is no longer a table. Prop it up with other items and maybe it is balanced and level, but it's just not the same.

• Like 3

One doesn't "replace" Neil Peart.

• Like 1

Some bands have replaced members i haven't Cared.

Toto

Dream Theater.

Genesis had lost members.

Spock's Beard

Rush......I WOULD care.

simple as that.

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 2

I attended a wonderful concert earlier this summer in Newark . I am sated.

Heck, over the decades I saw the entire Signals album performed live! "Losing It" captured it all.

Hopefully, it's not the end. Especially for the dedicated fans who never had the chance to see Rush in concert. I feel for you.

Personally, I couldn't ask for more from a band I grew up with over the years.

Thanks.

• Like 3

well to be fair they did replace their drummer once. I mean as awful as it may be a Peart-less Rush is not impossible. Especially if they are over recording new material. I know Geddy said several times there is no Rush without each member . But that feeling can wane in the realization that he is not ready to quit touring and making tons of money. I mean he is what 63 ? He could do a few more tours after a 5 or 6 year break. I do feel that since the last show is in LA and Neil lives in LA that this is it for him . He is finished and I don't blame him.

well to be fair they did replace their drummer once. I mean as awful as it may be a Peart-less Rush is not impossible. Especially if they are over recording new material. I know Geddy said several times there is no Rush without each member . But that feeling can wane in the realization that he is not ready to quit touring and making tons of money. I mean he is what 63 ? He could do a few more tours after a 5 or 6 year break. I do feel that since the last show is in LA and Neil lives in LA that this is it for him . He is finished and I don't blame him.

Portnoy is probably writing his resume right about now.

But the situation was way different when Peart took over. They had only done one album. The current lineup has been the same since that time, with the some roles and responsibilities and level of playing all around. I just think we should be very careful before suggesting that anyone in this band is replaceable. The skill of the drummer doesn't even matter. There are intangibles involved that come to exist when you build 40-year career together as musicians.

Even if there is more, there won't be MUCH more. I doubt they'll be able to convince Neil to travel away from L.A. for very long. And really, at their ages, they SHOULD be taking it easy. They've given us so much and I doubt they could top this tour anyway.

It's too bad we didn't have Periscope around for past tours like Time Machine. Then again, how much less sleep would we have all gotten? ;)

Edited by TexMike

Hehe.

Any member changing and they'd go by a different name. Other bands wouldn't do that but Rush doesn't use the standard playbook.

My Favorite Headache sounded much more like Rush than Victor did...BUT I didn't think of either project as anything close to Rush.

• Like 1

Lee and Lifeson could record and tour, they would obviously hire a drummer. I'd most likely buy a Lee and Lifeson album, I'd go see them live. They would not be RUSH nor should they call them selves RUSH. I think they'd agree.
  • Like 1

I saw them last night and it just didn't feel like it was the end of their career.

Lucky girl!!!! Was it everthing you'd hoped it would be?

Yes, it was the best day of my life! I started crying when they came on stage, the fact that they were there was just so overwhelming.
  • Like 2

Al and Ged could do what Page and Plant did. Go out together, but not AS Rush.

The likelihood of that happening is slim.

It would never be the same without Neil.

I don't know that many individual members of bands, when they go out on their own, ever achieve the same degree of fame they did as a member of the band they had been in. There are exceptions - Sting, Paul, Robert Plant etc. - but most fall flat.

It would never be the same without Neil.

I don't know that many individual members of bands, when they go out on their own, ever achieve the same degree of fame they did as a member of the band they had been in. There are exceptions - Sting, Paul, Robert Plant etc. - but most fall flat.

I would say Ozzy Osbourne and Phil Collins as well. Both had hugely successful solo careers. I think Ozzy has sold more albums solo than he did with Sabbath. Collins might have sold about the same between Genesis and his solo stuff.

• Like 1

Hehe.

Any member changing and they'd go by a different name. Other bands wouldn't do that but Rush doesn't use the standard playbook.

My Favorite Headache sounded much more like Rush than Victor did...BUT I didn't think of either project as anything close to Rush.

I agree, it wouldn't be Rush and no matter what Geds and Al do, they won't /call/ it Rush. But it would have some sort of supergroup aspect to it.

Consider though, Geds and Al wrote all of the music (I'm sure Neil had input, as well as the drum parts) . If they went with the same musical formula, it could sound very much like Rush. But then again, maybe they'd do something similar... maybe more proggy, maybe heavier. Who knows? With a drummer like Mike, they could go in any direction...plus get songwriting out of him.

Just speculation.

Edit: But then again, for all we know..as much as Portnoy would want to get into Rush, I think that Geds wants to get into The Who. :P

Edited by grep

Hehe.

I agree, it wouldn't be Rush and no matter what Geds and Al do, they won't /call/ it Rush. But it would have some sort of supergroup aspect to it.

Consider though, Geds and Al wrote all of the music (I'm sure Neil had input, as well as the drum parts) . If they went with the same musical formula, it could sound very much like Rush. But then again, maybe they'd do something similar... maybe more proggy, maybe heavier. Who knows? With a drummer like Mike, they could go in any direction...plus get songwriting out of him.

Just speculation.

Edit: But then again, for all we know..as much as Portnoy would want to get into Rush, I think that Geds wants to get into The Who. :P

Neil could still write the lyrics, too. Hell, he could still lay down the drum tracks. It would just be someone else touring, which is EXACTLY WHAT NEIL HATES.