Hold Your Fire love-fest

G Lee

It's my number 2 Rush album now. perfect........Save for those damn last 2. way to trip up boys, lol

anyway.....Prime mover is one of my very fav Rush tunes.

Mick

I just don't get how those last two are bad songs. Haha

They are AWFUL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! they had a wonderful album at Turn the page, dammit, haha.

It's a real brain teaser those two, lol

Mick

It's my number 2 Rush album now. perfect........Save for those damn last 2. way to trip up boys, lol

Mick

They are AWFUL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! they had a wonderful album at Turn the page, dammit, haha.

Mick

Both songs are top five for me,alongside Open Secrets, Second Nature and Turn The Page.

And High Water is a gorgeous song

• Like 2

Mick

Mick

Its a very trendy thing to say these days. I love High Water personally think its a great closer to a very good album.

• Like 1

Mick

Mick

Its a very trendy thing to say these days. I love High Water personally think its a great closer to a very good album.

i never knew it was trendy till i came here.

i just hate those 2 songs, lol always have.

Mick

• Like 1

I have always loved HYF. I felt for a long time in Rush circles it was "underrated brilliance". And what really makes the album such a work of art was seeing them pull this stuff off live. It was insane. They pushed the envelope as far as they could and it is a fitting closer to the magnificent "synth" era of the band. I was 17 when this album was released and working at Camelot music (remember that store?) in the mall. I played this album every time I was on shift, two times a night. What a great year 1987 was for rock music too. Anyway I must have turned on so many people to Rush with this album. People could not believe this was Rush when they would ask me who is that band playing?

Stand out tracks for me are (and I enjoy all of them for the record).

Force 10

Time Stand Still

Open Secrets

Mission (one of my top 5 Rush songs ever)

Lock And Key

Turn The Page

Prime Mover

Edited by Todem

Mick

Mick

Me too.
  • Like 1

It's very easy for me to understand why people don't like Tai Shan, though I think it's an amazing song. But High Water... how does that one earn so much hate? That song rocks!

Y'ns are entitled to any opinion. I'm just always surprised to see HW uttered so often in the same dismissive breath as Tai Shan.

• Like 2

Power Windows was a great album,the height of their synth era.I thought at the time of its release that they couldn't go any further both in terms of songwriting and technology.For a three piece band this was getting fairly over the top and i remember there was talk of adding a keyboard player,something which i wasn't keen on.When HYF arrived i played it to death but it seemed a little patchy to the last previous albums.IMO the standouts are Turn the Page,Mission,Open Secrets.Time Stand Still has great lyrics and also turned me onto Aimee Mann.Despite many hating Tia Shan i love the track and have always imagined Jon Anderson singing it.Force Ten is ok as an opener ,great bass playing,Prime Mover gets bogged down halfway thru.Second Nature is great song but Lock and Key is too poppy for me.Alex once described the album as 'stodgy,and i tend to agree.Oh,and High Water is very ordinary.

Alex is correct by saying it's 'stodgy'.

Mick

Mick

Well...I don't think a relatively small group of people echoing each other's sentiments composes a trend, necessarily. But I think it's true that just about anybody who dislikes anything on this album, those two songs are at the top of the list. And I don't get it, either.

I wasn't able to get through all of HYF yesterday, but I did notice a number of small magical things in the songs I got through since I was paying closer attention than usual, so it might be moving up in my rankings sometime soon.
  • Like 1

I wasn't able to get through all of HYF yesterday, but I did notice a number of small magical things in the songs I got through since I was paying closer attention than usual, so it might be moving up in my rankings sometime soon.

There are quite a bit of beautiful melodies all over the place on the record. Just my opinion. The beautiful melodies come to a screeching halt however after the final notes of Turn The Page... :scared: Edited by Narps
  • Like 2

Stodgy? Hmmm. I guess i kinda see that. I dont agree however and think there are at least 4 great ones here. Force Ten, Secrets, lock and Key and Mission. The rest are very good but I have to admit Im not a huge fan of Prime Mover. If anything thats the most ordinary. I would have probably dropped that and Tai Shan. Those would make great B sides however.

I just want to say to be fair. I loathed this whole album for YEARS. the whole thing. Hated it. Then it clicked.

it's just that those last 2 remain un-clicked, lol

Mick

Lol.

I think I mainly have it marked relatively low in my rankings because I wasn't used to Rush being poppy. Then I heard Presto and Roll The Bones and began to realize how good HYF is (as well as Presto; RTB on the other hand...). I might like it more than GuP...

There are quite a bit of beautiful melodies all over the place on the record. Just my opinion. The beautiful melodies come to a screeching halt however after the final notes of Turn The Page... :scared:

There's my partner in hate for these songs. I said to Segue once high water refers to the amount of Diarrhea that song is. lol.

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 1

I just want to say to be fair. I loathed this whole album for YEARS. the whole thing. Hated it. Then it clicked.

Mick

Lol.

I think I mainly have it marked relatively low in my rankings because I wasn't used to Rush being poppy. Then I heard Presto and Roll The Bones and began to realize how good HYF is (as well as Presto; RTB on the other hand...). I might like it more than GuP...

Oooh RtB is the nadir for me. I kinda lost touch with them after that. Not to get it back til Vapor Trails tbh. Thats around the same time I started really getting into jazz and Zappa so mabye the writing was on the wall.

Definitely like it more than Grace.

There are quite a bit of beautiful melodies all over the place on the record. Just my opinion. The beautiful melodies come to a screeching halt however after the final notes of Turn The Page... :scared:

There's my partner in hate for these songs. I said to Segue once high water refers to the amount of Diarrhea that song is. lol.

Mick

:rfl: "love that dirty water :musicnote: :musicnote: "... Can't remember who sang that tune... :)
  • Like 1

Mick

Lol.

Oooh RtB is the nadir for me. I kinda lost touch with them after that. Not to get it back til Vapor Trails tbh. Thats around the same time I started really getting into jazz and Zappa so mabye the writing was on the wall.

funny i enjoyed RTB until i did a Rush Marathon. then i focused on it. Some of the WORST lyrics Neil ever wrote with the most ball-less production ever.

Yuck.

Mick

• Like 1

Listening to it again now. Goodness, I know it's a good album all around (well, almost), but every time I hear TSS I just wish the whole album sounded like that. That has got to be one of Rush's best ever songs, maybe even better than Limelight...
  • Like 1

Mick

Lol.

funny i enjoyed RTB until i did a Rush Marathon. then i focused on it. Some of the WORST lyrics Neil ever wrote with the most ball-less production ever.

Yuck.

Mick

WORD!!

• Like 1

The outro to Open Secrets is fantastic, never fails to move me. Alex's solo builds and builds while Ged & Neil are just laying it down. Awesome note selection rather than a blazing flurry.

Alex really focused his frustration with his guitar work on this one.

• Like 1

Mick

Lol.

Yuck.

Mick

I actually don't mind the lyrics on RTB so much as the awful production. The bright poppy sparkles worked for the material on Presto (mostly), but the songs on RTB are so conflicted between pop production, halfway pop songwriting, and a muffled half-attempt to write hard rock again.

• Like 1