Hold Your Fire love-fest

G Lee

Thin production to me goes to RTB. Presto could use more kick. but RTB is the light weight champ to me, lol

Mick

Yeah. I may be biased because I prefer the songwriting on Presto overall to RTB (exceptions in both cases, of course), but Presto at least has some atmosphere. RTB jettisons the atmosphere but doesn't replace it with any bite.

Could not have put it any better myself.

• Like 3

HYF was released when I became a fan. I put it alongside Floyds AMLOR for that reason as well as them both being released on the same day. Pretty cool. Two icons going in similar directions. They both looked really great on cd but I probabaly had the tapes first. Man those spent a lot of time in my Walkman!!

Well, the Fall of 1987 saw a lot of great classic rock albums being released. Yes released "Big Generator" a couple of weeks later and Jethro Tull had released "Crest of a Knave" in 1987, just not sure at what time of the year. I think the Who were going on one of their big tours.

Damn. Time flies. No Who tour in '87 but in 89 they did the reunion shows.

HYF was released when I became a fan. I put it alongside Floyds AMLOR for that reason as well as them both being released on the same day. Pretty cool. Two icons going in similar directions. They both looked really great on cd but I probabaly had the tapes first. Man those spent a lot of time in my Walkman!!

Well, the Fall of 1987 saw a lot of great classic rock albums being released. Yes released "Big Generator" a couple of weeks later and Jethro Tull had released "Crest of a Knave" in 1987, just not sure at what time of the year. I think the Who were going on one of their big tours.

Damn. Time flies. No Who tour in '87 but in 89 they did the reunion shows.

Okay, I couldn't remember. It seemed like a lot of classic rock acts were releasing new material. It was a great year in '87. I always put "Hold Your Fire", "A Momentary..." and "Big Generator" as the big 3.
  • Like 1

Great to see Big Generator getting some love! Last truly great Yes album to my ears (not counting Keys To Ascension).
  • Like 1

Damn

Yes - Big Generator Sept 17, 1987

Jethro Tull - Crest of a Knave Sept 11, 1987

And don't forget- Hold Your Fire was released September 8, 1987.

Seems strange though- shouldn't they all either be on the same date, or in multiples of seven days apart?

Or perhaps in 28 years since, we've just lost track.

In any event, September of '87 seems to have been quite a month!

(Hey, DD- do you know the epic GD show from Madison Square Garden on September 18th that year? The second set in particular was just phenomenal!).

Let's not forget: I do believe Michael Jackson's "Bad" CD came out on September 8, 1987 as well.
  • Like 1

Let's not forget: I do believe Michael Jackson's "Bad" CD came out on September 8, 1987 as well.

Huh...I did not know that!

I knew that album came out in '87, but not right at that same time.

I'm a Suzanne Vega fan and I bought her then new album "Solitude Standing" about two or three weeks ahead of Hold Your Fire. Although I think that album was released earlier in the summer or even the spring. Was never sure.
  • Like 2

I'm a Suzanne Vega fan and I bought her then new album "Solitude Standing" about two or three weeks ahead of Hold Your Fire. Although I think that album was released earlier in the summer or even the spring. Was never sure.

Solitude Standing is a great album

• Like 1

Solitude Standing is a great album

Yep, I have her autograph twice from seeing small performances at record stores. The first for "nine objects of desire" and the second for "songs in red and gray"
  • Like 1

You can all keep your HYF love-fest.

I'm going to start my own.

Hemispheres love-fest!

Really? It's been nice celebrating the more overlooked gems

I'm enjoying this thread...even for an album I'm not crazy about. I was giving it a listen this morning though.

I love HYF, Neils best lyrics are on here.

Maybe it isnt as good as some of their other works, but it is no where close to bad.

Brilliant!

I travel for yearly Hold Your Fire conventions.

Listening to it again now. Goodness, I know it's a good album all around (well, almost), but every time I hear TSS I just wish the whole album sounded like that. That has got to be one of Rush's best ever songs, maybe even better than Limelight...

I don't hold it close to Limelight, but TSS is just one of the tastiest, satisfying Rush songs ever. This should of been a monster hit. I don't even remember hearing it on the radio back in the day.

Anyone else notice the first guitar riff in TSS sounds a lot like the bassline to the verses of Limelight.

Anyone else notice the first guitar riff in TSS sounds a lot like the bassline to the verses of Limelight.

Not really, the rhythm is way different

Suzanne Vega! Right on! I'm one of the few that likes 99.9F, I think.

I would pick Bad over HYF. I adore Michael Jackson's album streak from Off The Wall through to Dangerous.

I would pick Bad over HYF. I adore Michael Jackson's album streak from Off The Wall through to Dangerous.

i respect what Michael did in the music industry more then i actually enjoy his albums. Weird, lol. though Dangerous does not get the credit it should. i do enjoy that one.

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 1

Does anyone else think PoW and HYF are somewhat similarly sounding albums?

The main differences for me are the darker elements of PoW, whereas HYF is motivational and inspiring.

Edited by Hemisteers
  • Like 2

Does anyone else think PoW and HYF are somewhat similarly sounding albums?

The main differences for me are the darker elements of PoW, whereas HYF is motivational and inspiring.

In bold, yeah, I really agree with that (I might not have chosen exactly those same two adjectives, as it's a little bit different in my mind, but I know what you mean by them. It's a very positive album, in my opinion).

Power Windows, though, to me its sound is unique to anything else they ever did- even different from all of the other synth-era albums.

Specifically between the two, I'd say PW has more of a studio, or processed sound, while HYF is a bit more "live"-sounding.