Neil a phony??

nicky6

Can we have a poll and vote this the most boring Rush thread ever.

:clap:

The great thing about this forum is it provides an avenue to criticize stupid things that Neil says as well as the inane blowhard reactions to what Neil says.

Does anyone else see the irony in these posts?

Somewhere, Alanis Morissette weeps
  • Like 1

The great thing about this forum is it provides an avenue to criticize stupid things that Neil says as well as the inane blowhard reactions to what Neil says.

As well as a place to talk about what your favorite song on Test For Echo is, and why, for 22 pages.

And endless polls debating the best four consecutive words in a Rush song. :eyeroll:

Edited by 2112FirstStreet
  • Like 4

As well as a place to talk about what your favorite song on Test For Echo is, and why, for 22 pages.

And endless polls debating the best four consecutive words in a Rush song. :eyeroll:

I understand your point. Make a suggestion. Start a topic.

I've done that in the past. Nothing comes to mind at the moment as being worthy of discussion. I wish others would have those same self-editing skills.

• Like 1

I've done that in the past. Nothing comes to mind at the moment as being worthy of discussion. I wish others would have those same self-editing skills.

How about:

POLL:

"Should Alex where a hairplug this tour?"

_ Yes

_ No

Well maybe it's time to burn all your Rush albums.

why would that be? There are many artists that have done/said things I may not agree with, but it doesn't make me hate their music. Axl Rose is a dink, but I still like GnR's music. I don't agree with James Taylor on a lot of political things, but I still like his music. It's possible to look at the 2 things independently, it's what separates us from the animals :)

John Lennon is my favorite songwriter and singer. I think he was manipulated politically, became a mouthpiece, and stated some positions I totally disagree with. I still love the man's music. Sometimes musicians and artists say stupid things that contradict what their music seemingly projects. Debate, discuss, argue, it's what fans do.

Can't stand the Nuge but I could make sweet love to this album all night :)

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51TDCzAYNRL.jpg

• Like 3

LIX, the music represents all 3, what Neil allegedly said represents his personal views. Of course my preference is he would have said nothing politically. But I was responding to the posters here claiming Neils attack to be baseless.

Given the political discourse in our Country, its not a reach to thing a leftie is furious at the actions of the right during the last decade ( and obviously the right feels the same way). I am guessing that's why Neil vented.

Also, the right playing your music and quoting your songs? If your a "bleeding heart" as Neil has said as far back as 2012, wouldn't that piss any thinking person off, whether left or right?

Yuck. Rush and politics. All this because of a Peart sound byte?

Blaggh.

Have you read the lyrics to their songs at all?

I remember a bass teacher of mine in the early 80s asking, when he was teaching me to pick up Free Will by ear, "do these guys write any songs about chicks?" They really don't, other than the debut. You can't have it both ways. Either their lyrics are thought provoking, and thus discussion worthy, or they're not. I love Roth era Van Halen. But I'm guessing a fan site of theirs wouldn't need a SOCN.

You'd be surprised, then. Nearly any active rock message board has a politico forum.

I actually have a theory about lyrics. They really don't matter. Whether it's Van Halen, Rush, Maiden, Genesis, Pete Gabriel, AC/DC, the Beatles, the Doors, it really doesn't matter. Sure, the lyrics are great for diehard fans to absorb and analyze and reflect upon.

But the vox are most important in the context of how they mesh with the instrumentation. The harmonies and the melodies are what counts with the vox, not exactly what they're saying. Hell, when I first started seeing Rush eons ago, before I knew any of the lyrics they'd put out to date, I didn't WTF Geddy was singing about...or David lee Roth...or Bon Scott. Sometimes it's friggin' hard to tell wtf they're saying, LOL. There are STILL VH diehards who debate exactly WTF Dave is saying in certain lines in Everybody Wants Some, LOL.

Point being...I don't really care what they're singing about. As long as the vox flow with the instruments, they could be singing about androgynous octopi for all I care. :)

That's why it's more important that Jim Morrison hits the right notes than it is for him to tell me about the decline of western civilization. Though the latter obviously has its place. :)

I actually agree with you in that I don't necessarily want a musician to offer me his or her views on societal issues, particularly if I get the sense that he or she doesn't really have a good understanding of them. And everyone is free to enjoy music for whatever reason they like, obviously. However, if you don't care at all what the lyrics of a song are about I actually feel sorry for you. I don't mean that in a smart @ss way. I mean that for me, some songs, often songs about love, can really capture the way you feel perfectly. Paul McCartney's Maybe I'm Amazed reminds me of my wife. The first time I heard Halo Effect, I immediately thought of a girl I dated off and on in college for two years.

And I suspect Peart would be saddened to hear that a fan thinks that, other than his amazing drumming, he contributes nothing of lasting impact to any of the band's songs. But to each his own :cheers:

Look at the Pass. That song literally had me in tears after a friend decided to take his own life. The words captured how I was feeling... sad, mad all wrapped up into one ball of confusion.

Someone doesn't have to lose a friend to suicide for that song to have an emotional impact. All you have to do is to have been on the "razor's edge" yourself at one time or another.

• Like 1

why would that be? There are many artists that have done/said things I may not agree with, but it doesn't make me hate their music. Axl Rose is a dink, but I still like GnR's music. I don't agree with James Taylor on a lot of political things, but I still like his music. It's possible to look at the 2 things independently, it's what separates us from the animals :)

John Lennon is my favorite songwriter and singer. I think he was manipulated politically, became a mouthpiece, and stated some positions I totally disagree with. I still love the man's music. Sometimes musicians and artists say stupid things that contradict what their music seemingly projects. Debate, discuss, argue, it's what fans do.

All TrueRushFans love Ted Nugent! ;)

• Like 4

All TrueRushFans™ love Ted Nugent! ;)

Umm No. :boo hiss:

Since Rands comments in 2010 on civil rights, he hasn't backtracked? He hasn't tried to redefine his comments or image? His current interpretation on civil rights is clear? Its one thing to have a nice theory of limited govt, but in the real world some take significant advantage of others who are less fortunate, which required intervention, as 80% of Republicans in congress agreed with at the time.

Yes calling him a racist is unfortunate, but to say a liberal going after Rand Paul on domestic issues is "baseless" is way out there.

No one said a liberal going after Paul on domestic issues is baseless. What I said is Peart calling Paul a racist and a sexist is baseless. This is such a simple concept, but it is clear that neither you nor JBs have any interest in understanding or addressing it.

If he really said that...I can come up with an example of how lefties might be angry at RP...

Supporting policies on the guise of limited govt, policies that significant hurt those of a specific race or gender will be viewed by those that are hurt in that manner (I.e. Respond with "baseless" anger)

A female employee is virtuously powerless to stand up to her employer that denies her of readily available and legal healthcare. To hide behind limited govt while irrevocably hurting the powerless causes anger to those harmed and to their families.

Notre Dame is a private college, yet earns significant revenue broadcasting its games on spectrum owned by we the people yet leased to the networks. ND is openly fighting women's rights.

This private university has entered a public domain. Hiring employees in the general public via public recruiting, subject to EEOC laws. Yet a strange court is ruling that this is all private. If so, great, get ND off my TV and hobby lobby out of open to the public stores.

To deny basic healthcare to women based on a false claim that these are private companies/schools...or to come up with a convenient ltd govt theory that causes irrevocable harm against those less fortunate. This type of "theory" has obviously angered some on the left. Perhaps NEP is one of them.

This may be difficult to understand, but if someone is suffering, that is not a moral claim against someone else. You act like healthcare is somehow different from other products, it's really not. If a homeless man comes to my door and asks if he can sleep in my bed for the night, am I wrong to deny him access to my home? No of course not, because it's private property, much like products of the medical industry.

This seemed like a good place to jump in.

Think of the intentional pun Neil uses in referring to himself as a "bleeding heart" libertarian. What is quite obviously the biggest criticism of Libertarianism is that the blind support for individualism often demands it's proponents to support (and promotes) callousness towards other people. This has led to some pretty heinous defenses of Libertarian dogma and how it would truly hurt people in the real world. Black people suffer? Oh well.. Their belief in some "natural order" self correcting human being's personal bias is easily refuted and about as unethical as it can get.

When you support racist policies and surround yourself with racists it's hardly fair to cry foul when another person point that out.

You personally have the right to not allow the homeless on your back porch. That's an individual right. But the government isn't your back porch. It's a laws and rights supporting fair and equal treatment in society at large. When you support removal of minority protections full well knowing the consequences of those actions will lead to immense harm, then others have that right to criticize.

Neil is obviously socially liberal supporting women, gay and minority rights in words for decades. He also is Libertarian in the sense that he supports individual rights as well--- as long as they don't infringe on others rights. That doesn't mean you should do things that hurt other people and we can't pass laws protecting them. The GOP and Rand Paul are awash in rhetoric and actions detrimental to minorities and women. Hell, that's just obvious from voting restrictions to health care to education.

It's like no one read Clockwork Angels and the battle between the bleeding heart statist clockmaker and the Libertairan Anarchist. :)

Since it's been proven Bush and his cronies lied us into war and committed worldly atrocities against mankind, we aren't seeing conservatives rush to defend him against Neil's remarks. Guess we are in agreement the GOP was dead wrong on that one.

But like when Neil came out as an atheist, it's like he told misinformed fans that Santa was real so their dejection is quite understandable.

:laughing guy:

and I've pulled a "who gives a shit?" in plenty of threads, even in SOCN, but the political views of a man that's influenced most of us in some way are definitely worth talking about.
  • Like 3

look at how uncomfortable some people are getting over people discussing politics outside of the political subforum.

when did not caring about anything become so cool?

Many online forums don't allow political and/or religious discussion because it causes a lot of shit. We allow it but only in a limited access forum, and it's been that way here for almost 11 years. We're bending that a little with this thread as long as it remains Neil-related.

and I've pulled a "who gives a shit?" in plenty of threads, even in SOCN, but the political views of a man that's influenced most of us in some way are definitely worth talking about.

Which is why we're trying to let this thread succeed in the Rush section.

Edited by 1-0-0-1-0-0-1
  • Like 5

I would like to see neil live in the real world, not the one he has now, and see the reality of a lot of life that money can't buy you, like working with low class people or having to deal with real issues without being able to hop on your bike for a year and run away..

nicky6, nicky6, nicky6.

Again you seem to forget the fact that the people that come here have a modicom of intelligence.

I am not saying that you are idiot, no, no, no, no.

We know full well that you are a (insert) trolling wierd dude, but funny, nonetheless.

Have you never been in a situation where running away seems the only solution.

Don't judge untill you have been there.

Nothing will ever cause more pain than something you could stopped.

Personally, I think you sound like a nut if you say that an artist's political views make it impossible for you to enjoy their work. There are people on this board that say that if you don't share the band's political views you shouldn't be a fan. Such closed mindedness is really scary. Neil wrote about the dangers of closed mindedness in Witch Hunt. Ironic.

• Like 3

look at how uncomfortable some people are getting over people discussing politics outside of the political subforum.

when did not caring about anything become so cool?

Many online forums don't allow political and/or religious discussion because it causes a lot of shit. We allow it but only in a limited access forum, and it's been that way here for almost 11 years. We're bending that a little with this thread as long as it remains Neil-related.

Which is why we're trying to let this thread succeed in the Rush section.

You forgot to add

Bathory...

http://i470.photobucket.com/albums/rr66/rogueofthecraft/youareagenius.gif

• Like 1

Blaggh.

I remember a bass teacher of mine in the early 80s asking, when he was teaching me to pick up Free Will by ear, "do these guys write any songs about chicks?" They really don't, other than the debut. You can't have it both ways. Either their lyrics are thought provoking, and thus discussion worthy, or they're not. I love Roth era Van Halen. But I'm guessing a fan site of theirs wouldn't need a SOCN.

You'd be surprised, then. Nearly any active rock message board has a politico forum.

I actually have a theory about lyrics. They really don't matter. Whether it's Van Halen, Rush, Maiden, Genesis, Pete Gabriel, AC/DC, the Beatles, the Doors, it really doesn't matter. Sure, the lyrics are great for diehard fans to absorb and analyze and reflect upon.

But the vox are most important in the context of how they mesh with the instrumentation. The harmonies and the melodies are what counts with the vox, not exactly what they're saying. Hell, when I first started seeing Rush eons ago, before I knew any of the lyrics they'd put out to date, I didn't WTF Geddy was singing about...or David lee Roth...or Bon Scott. Sometimes it's friggin' hard to tell wtf they're saying, LOL. There are STILL VH diehards who debate exactly WTF Dave is saying in certain lines in Everybody Wants Some, LOL.

Point being...I don't really care what they're singing about. As long as the vox flow with the instruments, they could be singing about androgynous octopi for all I care. :)

That's why it's more important that Jim Morrison hits the right notes than it is for him to tell me about the decline of western civilization. Though the latter obviously has its place. :)

I actually agree with you in that I don't necessarily want a musician to offer me his or her views on societal issues, particularly if I get the sense that he or she doesn't really have a good understanding of them. And everyone is free to enjoy music for whatever reason they like, obviously. However, if you don't care at all what the lyrics of a song are about I actually feel sorry for you. I don't mean that in a smart @ss way. I mean that for me, some songs, often songs about love, can really capture the way you feel perfectly. Paul McCartney's Maybe I'm Amazed reminds me of my wife. The first time I heard Halo Effect, I immediately thought of a girl I dated off and on in college for two years.

And I suspect Peart would be saddened to hear that a fan thinks that, other than his amazing drumming, he contributes nothing of lasting impact to any of the band's songs. But to each his own :cheers:

I never said Peart contributes nothing of lasting impact outside of the drums. :)

But the method and delivery of the way a singer sings, particularly live, is far more important than the specific context of the lyrics.

My own emotions are provoked by the flow and synchronicity of a song more than its message. The message is secondary. The immersion within a perfectly cohesive beautiful moment of music (vocal and instrumental harmonies melding and blending together) is a far bigger flashpoint than the words.

Words, after all, can be read. Songs must be heard.

All TrueRushFans™ love Ted Nugent! ;)

Umm No. :boo hiss:

http://s3.amazonaws.com/dk-production/images/55627/large/opinion.jpg?1383288868

:D

• Like 6

Blaggh.

I never said Peart contributes nothing of lasting impact outside of the drums. :)

But the method and delivery of the way a singer sings, particularly live, is far more important than the specific context of the lyrics.

My own emotions are provoked by the flow and synchronicity of a song more than its message. The message is secondary. The immersion within a perfectly cohesive beautiful moment of music (vocal and instrumental harmonies melding and blending together) is a far bigger flashpoint than the words.

Words, after all, can be read. Songs must be heard.

For me, lyrics rarely take away from a song. But good ones can greatly increase my appreciation for a song. Rush means so much to me not just because of their music, but because the lyrics are so powerful. It it weren't for the lyrics, I doubt that I would have ever come around to appreciating the synth period. And while I like some Bob Dylan songs, if it weren't for the lyrics I wouldn't be half as interested in him as I am.

• Like 3

From the original link's comments:

• Irish Says Enough Woodchippers|6.16.15 @ 1:34PM|#

In fairness, this is Rolling Stone. How do we even know for sure they interviewed Neil Peart? Isn't it equally likely they wrongfully attributed quotes they overheard at a Buffalo, NY bus stop?

• WTF|6.16.15 @ 1:34PM|#

Good point.

• bluecanarybythelightswitch|6.16.15 @ 2:49PM|#

Especially that part where he is claiming to have been raped by frat boys

:D

Edited by goose