What Next For Rush?

Red Dwarf

So when the current tour ends,what is on the horizon for the band?

New album to write and record perhaps with a possible 2017/18 release? Or is that just wishful thinking? Maybe if no record will there be solo projects? They could possibly call it a day,but i think after they've mixed the live DVD/CD of the tour,which will surely come out in the next year,the band will want to give there fans just one last album! Well we can only hope………Honestly I think they will take a year off,and then decide!

P.S. When your deciding what to do,gents,don't forget about us over here in Europe! It doesn't have to be a big tour,just the major venues will do!

• Like 2

I think there will be another break in the action (I think there is a dim chance, but a chance nonetheless, that they will tour the UK and Europe perhaps summer '16, but barring that)...any new studio album from Rush would be firmly in 2018, I think.

So many variables and possibilities involved...including the very real possibility that August 1st may be the last we'll see and hear of them. But I would think, of any possible future activity is concerned, it may be one last studio album. But that would be a couple of years off.

• Like 1

I'd love a new album. Regardless of my opinion on it, I love knowing these guys are enjoying themselves.
  • Like 3

I do not why the Stones can be still playing in their 70´s and Rush is already talking about quitting......I see Neil in a better shape in R40Ttour than CA Tour and Alex too, Geddy is A1 as he always is....dunno....they could probably do 2 hour shows....10 years of difference at that age seem a lot to me to quit.....IMHO :codger:

I do not why the Stones can be still playing in their 70´s and Rush is already talking about quitting......I see Neil in a better shape in R40Ttour than CA Tour and Alex too, Geddy is A1 as he always is....dunno....they could probably do 2 hour shows....10 years of difference at that age seem a lot to me to quit.....IMHO :codger:

Because the Stones are a f***ing pathetic joke and Alex said he didn't want to become that. ALSO, it's selfis to want people to be your trained seals and perform for you, ad infinitum instead of enjoying the retirement we all deserve.
  • Like 6

Geddy's wanting to go to Europe in 2016, at least the UK, so I'm betting that there will be a European leg, though much smaller than the NA leg.

After that, it's hard to say. The safer bet would be to say they're done performing, and they've earned it. If they make another album, though, they'll have at least one performance, though to what magnitude is anyone's guess.

Neil's probably going to continue writing books and continue motorcycling, and drums will probably still exist, but more as a hobby. Geddy's going to continue in the music industry, either solo or under the Rush banner. I don't see him stopping like that, especially given how his bass playing skills are seemingly immortal and getting better with age. Guy's a monster. I think Alex is pretty much done. Unless it's Rush-related, which I'm sure he'd jump into happily like for a new album, he's giving off the vibe that he's ready to fully retire and spend time with the family. The arthritis pretty much confirms it.

My guess....a decent break after this part of the tour..then a second leg... I'm still holding out for them doing that...

Then once they put the lights away, and the crew goes on their hiatus.....you might see another solo album from Alex or Geddy, and possibly a book from Neil.

After a while (at least according to the out takes of the article in Classic Rock) them possibly getting together for a studio project, but no major tour..the potential of a few dates (no major show, just the boys in a theater for a short period) but not much after that.

I honestly think that Alex will spend more time doing HIS thing with his club and just some side things occasionally...Geddy will probably be more active musically, and we'll get some more of Neils travel books...

Forgot this part....and to qualify my "second leg" theory...I don't think they'd put this much into the production of this show for only 30-odd dates... I have a feeling that they figured on a second leg...possibly overseas...but most likely another US part.

Edited by Jaminbenb

"he's giving off the vibe that he's ready to fully retire and spend time with the family. The arthritis pretty much confirms it."

I think the same can be said for Neil in regards of family and the tendonitis in his wrist and arms.

. It would be nice to see a European tour after an extended break. I think Geddy would most likely to do a solo album or appear as a guest on other people's projects. I am so up for any new rush studio work will also be welcome.

I do not why the Stones can be still playing in their 70´s and Rush is already talking about quitting......I see Neil in a better shape in R40Ttour than CA Tour and Alex too, Geddy is A1 as he always is....dunno....they could probably do 2 hour shows....10 years of difference at that age seem a lot to me to quit.....IMHO

I thought that too, but then I read about the band's various conditions, and it's clear that Neil and Alex are hurting. Neil has tendonitis and Alex is suffering from arthritis; both are in a lot of pain, and they're putting on a brave face during the tour. Geddy is still in good shape, however.

I think if Neil and Alex are healthy enough, we'll get a short European/UK tour, but after that, well, who knows. Geddy wants to go to Europe, but it's all down to how the other guys feel. An album in a few years, a one-off performance in Toronoto or something?

Edited by CountFloyd84
  • Like 1

You can't seriously be comparing what the Stones do to what Rush does. I have nothing against the Stones, but the physical demands of a Stones show pale in comparison to a Rush show. It's night and day. If Alex is suffering as much as we have been told, he simply cannot keep up with the stamina needed to perform at close to 100%. Not to mention the Watts vs. Peart difference. I love Watt's playing style, but it's not nearly as physically demanding as Peart's style.

• Like 2

The Stones are still bringing it. Believe it, kids. I was staggered in 2013 at the Staples show. There's just no way those old geezers could still jam like that. But they did. Without piped in assistance. Strange. They must've made a deal with the devil. ;)

To all the musicians out there . . . if you play guitar, for example, don't you feel a sort of compulsion to create? I wonder if someone like Lifeson could ever really put the guitar away and retire. And if he is compelled to pick it up and play, wouldn't he also, being the creative guy that he is, be compelled to make something new? I don't know if it's the same for drums. I play mostly bass and guitar myself, and although I might go for days without playing, I still have to go back to it and see what happens.
  • Like 1

Because the Stones are a f***ing pathetic joke and Alex said he didn't want to become that. ALSO, it's selfis to want people to be your trained seals and perform for you, ad infinitum instead of enjoying the retirement we all deserve.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

• Like 1

Rush ends in Los Angeles later this summer.

Geddy will continue making music.

Neil and Alex will retire.

That's all.

This is my theory as well.

Mine too.

R&R, followed by some new venture or other. Perhaps Geddy will become a chef.

Fixed...in the spirit of not being a doomsayer.

• Like 2

Super Bowl in about 5 years.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v423/KublaKhan/24b6zk4_thjpg.gif

• Like 1