What Next For Rush?

Red Dwarf

Yeah but as his daughter is growing up she'll need less daddy time. You know friends and stuff. How young is the daughter?

Dang, I could see him wanting to be home a lot the next six years.

Nothing much has changed for Rush other than they don't want to do transcontinental multi date tours.

Would anyone besides me LOVE an all instrumental album by Alex and Geddy? Let Neil chase his baby around the house and get Portnoy or whoever else is available to drum and go for an old school sound. I loved Victor's "Strip And Go Naked", so maybe continue in the vein of ethereal pieces like that or TMMB.

That's assuming there wouldn't be a new Rush album, which would obviously be first choice.

I would like to see them do a acoustic album and then an all acoustic tour with new songs, acoustic version of the hits and their softer tracks.

No more major touring for sure. One more aalbum could happen. To be honest with you..........i'm more interested in a new Ged solo album. Which if Rush slow down.........is a REAL possibility.

Mick

• Like 1

An album could be a possibility and allow them to fit it in to their personal life schedules. But as Neil said a few years ago, the industry has flipped where albums are break-even at best and you make money on touring. That was the opposite back in the day. Granted making music is enjoyable, but if there's no money in it then what's the point?

I could see them do occasional separate live appearances, like when Ged and Al played with the Foos. But I think they'll just let things be unless something comes up that strikes their interest. They're the same age as any other retired person...and when you're retired you do what you want when you want to do it.

Edited by 2112FirstStreet

My guess is:

1. A live CD/ DVD

2. At a minimum a long break

3. Perhaps one more studio album with minimal / no touring. However I think the odds are against even this.

4. Neil gets to spend a lot of well deserved time with his family. Geddy and Alex get to spend lots of time with their families.

5. Look for an occasional travel book from Neil.

6. Geddy and Alex remain attached in some way to the music business. Perhaps helping produce others albums. Perhaps creating some music for some soundtracks of some TV show / movie.

7. Perhaps Geddy does a solo album. Forget about any tour.

8. If we get lucky perhaps we will get either a box set of live material that has never been released or a slow, steady stream of live releases. Think about it. A live album from the AFTK tour, one from the Hemispheres tour, one from the Signals tour, one from FBN etc. That could be great!!!!!

So far most of these thoughts mirror what has been said. Now I will toss in an oddbal suggestion or 2 I don't think anybody else has made:

9. Neil rights some songs for other groups. The royalties will be a nice way to bring in a few $ during his retirement - he does not have t tour and does not have to play the drums. He might also do a little guest drumming on somebody else albums - although I doubt it.

10. Neil writes a book or 2 of poetry. Yes, your read that right - poetry. Think about it, white is music? Its poetry that, rather than being spoken, its sung and accompanied by the playing of musical instruments. Wit all of his song writing he, in effect, has lots of experience writing poetry. Its a natural transition for him.

So my prediction boils down to no more tours, perhaps (no likely) one more studio album, lots of live albums, perhaps some work fro Alex and Geddy (most likely Geddy) and travel books and poetry from Neil.

And hopefully a long and happy time with their families.

No more major touring for sure. One more aalbum could happen. To be honest with you..........i'm more interested in a new Ged solo album. Which if Rush slow down.........is a REAL possibility.

Mick

New ged album would be great. I still listen to his favourite headache.

Alex could release another solo album and make it decent this time.

• Like 1

Mick

Some would Disagree but i think MFH is the album VT should have been.

Mick

• Like 3

Mick

Mick

That's a very fair assessment. I can hear lots of it in Vapor Trails

• Like 1

Mick

Mick

That's a very fair assessment. I can hear lots of it in Vapor Trails

it is like VT the prequel only more dynamic and produced better.

Mick

• Like 1

While I understand the notion of all the wishful thinking.... I sincerely don't get why so many fans are questioning the construct of "last tour of this magnitude". It really doesn't leave that much room for interpretation. Rush, as we have known them to be, will no longer be the what we have known them to be. This is a full production, two set with encore, 34 city jaunt across North America. That ain't gonna happen again, folks.

That's really all we know. Everything else is just guessing...

But if all three are physically ailing to different degrees.... Alex with arthritis, Neil with tendon issues, and Geddy with shoulder issues...

If Neil is being pulled to spend time with his wife and young child.... and this is his right to do...

If Alex and Geddy do not feel compelled to put together some sort of version of Rush without Neil.... and really, who among us would pay to see that?....

Then *my* guess is this is indeed it.

And to that guess I simply offer this to these three men who have brought me such joy in my life this...

Gentlemen, well done. Thank you. Enjoy yourselves in whatever fashion you choose.

• Like 3

While I understand the notion of all the wishful thinking.... I sincerely don't get why so many fans are questioning the construct of "last tour of this magnitude". It really doesn't leave that much room for interpretation. Rush, as we have known them to be, will no longer be the what we have known them to be. This is a full production, two set with encore, 34 city jaunt across North America. That ain't gonna happen again, folks.

But if all three are physically ailing to different degrees.... Alex with arthritis, Neil with tendon issues, and Geddy with shoulder issues...

If Neil is being pulled to spend time with his wife and young child.... and this is his right to do...

If Alex and Geddy do not feel compelled to put together some sort of version of Rush without Neil.... and really, who among us would pay to see that?....

And to that guess I simply offer this to these three men who have brought me such joy in my life this...

Gentlemen, well done. Thank you. Enjoy yourselves in whatever fashion you choose.

Shhhh you'll shatter delusions.

kidding. I agree with every word.

Mick

Mick

Mick

MFH is far and away a better album than VT. :)

• Like 1

Yup. Probabilities maintain that this is indeed it.

And I too have no idea why it bothers some people so much, when Rush is the kinda band that's given so much.

People. Please don't be selfish. :)

Whatever they do, im ok. Just chill a little and enjoy 40 years of what they have done. Still, I'd like to see a goodbye considering they aint coming to many places on their last big tour. Lets thank them for aaaaaaaall they done, consider on the "how important is rush to you?" how much you care and are thankful for and let them be in peace if thats what they wish. They have done a big career, if whats next is some other album, awesome, if not, let's see how we can say bye for a last time (dont be mad i talk a lot about the goodbye stuff, it is going to come somewhen and it wont be very far away, IMO)

My guess is:

1. A live CD/ DVD

2. At a minimum a long break

3. Perhaps one more studio album with minimal / no touring. However I think the odds are against even this.

4. Neil gets to spend a lot of well deserved time with his family. Geddy and Alex get to spend lots of time with their families.

5. Look for an occasional travel book from Neil.

6. Geddy and Alex remain attached in some way to the music business. Perhaps helping produce others albums. Perhaps creating some music for some soundtracks of some TV show / movie.

8. If we get lucky perhaps we will get either a box set of live material that has never been released or a slow, steady stream of live releases. Think about it. A live album from the AFTK tour, one from the Hemispheres tour, one from the Signals tour, one from FBN etc. That could be great!!!!!

So far most of these thoughts mirror what has been said. Now I will toss in an oddbal suggestion or 2 I don't think anybody else has made:

9. Neil rights some songs for other groups. The royalties will be a nice way to bring in a few $ during his retirement - he does not have t tour and does not have to play the drums. He might also do a little guest drumming on somebody else albums - although I doubt it.

10. Neil writes a book or 2 of poetry. Yes, your read that right - poetry. Think about it, white is music? Its poetry that, rather than being spoken, its sung and accompanied by the playing of musical instruments. Wit all of his song writing he, in effect, has lots of experience writing poetry. Its a natural transition for him.

So my prediction boils down to no more tours, perhaps (no likely) one more studio album, lots of live albums, perhaps some work fro Alex and Geddy (most likely Geddy) and travel books and poetry from Neil.

And hopefully a long and happy time with their families.

Agree with all except as noted below:

Agree about no/minimal touring. However another studio album is quite possible based on what Ged and Alex have been saying.

Disagree. Geddy wants to play and tour and will very likely do so, though it will be a Geddy Lee tour, not a Rush tour. Think "My Favorite Headache". Perhaps on a few select dates Alex and Neil will appear to do a Rush song or two.

Possible.

Edited by rftag