R40 Tour - The Film Staff question (forthcoming Blu-ray)

brunosamppa

Friends, i'am very unsatisfied with the Clockwork Angels Tour Blu-ray. You know, the cheap cameras, the terrible audio mastering and direction...

What your preference for the the forthcoming Blu-ray?

Mine is:

Director: Pierre Lamoureux, Daniel E. Catullo or David Mallet.

Audio Mix: Richard Chicky, David Botrill or Steve MacMillan

Audio Mastering: Andy Vandette, Jon Astley, Tony Cousins or Simon Heyworth.

The previous was:

CLOCKWORK ANGELS TOUR

Director: Dale Heslip

Producer: Allan Weinrib

Mixed By: Mike Fraser

Audio Consultant: Brad Madix

Mastering: Adam Ayan

Recording Engineers - Richard Chycki, Joel Singer

Time Machine 2011: Live in Cleveland

Directed by: SCOT MCFADYEN & SAM DUNN

Producers: ALLAN WEINRIB, DAVE PATTENDEN

Audio Mastering: ANDY VANDETTE

Recording Engineers: RICHARD CHYCKI, JOEL SINGER

MIXED BY: RICHARD CHYCKI

SNAKES & ARROWS LIVE

Directed by: PIERRE & FRANCOIS LAMOUREUX

Producer: ALLAN WEINRIB

Co-Producers PIERRE & FRANCOIS LAMOUREUX

Music Mixed by: RICHARD CHYCKI & ALEX LlFESON

Music Recorded by: FRANCOIS LAMOUREUX

Audio Mastering: ANDY VanDETTE

R30: 30th Anniversary World Tour

Directed by: Pierre Lamoureux

Produced by: Pierre Lamoureux & Allan Weinrib

Co-Produced: by Franyois Lamoureux / Fogolabs

Audio Mix by: Richard Chycki and Alex Lifeson Assisted by Adrian Lifeson

Mastered by Stephen Marcussen for DVD/CD

Mastered by Andy Vandette for Blu-ray

REPLAY X3 Box

Mixed by Mike Fraser & Alex Lifeson

Mastering: ?

Test for Echo Tour (R40 Box)

Director: Don Allan

Mixed by David Bottrill

Mastered by: ?

RUSH IN RIO

Directed By Daniel E. Catullo III

Producers: Lawrence Jordan, Daniel E. Catullo III, Lionel Pasamonte

Audio Producer: James "Jimbo" Barton Assisted by Patrick Thrasher

Audio Supervisor: Alex Lifeson

Mastering: Adam Ayan

• Like 1

I'd prefer it to be edited by someone that doesn't have ADHD

I'm with you on audio - partial to mix by David Bottrill and mastered by Andy VanDette

• Like 6

Most of their concert films, back to p/g and ASOH, shots change every three seconds.

seriously? Is my attention span that short? At least on the later films (TM & CA) they will stay with the same star at least once when the shot changes.

Switching from player to player every three seconds, can't think of a quicker way to get dizzy. File under producer trying too hard.

I think TMT had decent shooting. I mean, while CAT didn't sound great, it looked great. It sounded worse than TMT which sounded worse than S&A. Seems like Neils drums just get buried more and more in the mix with each release.

I've always wished they would offer as an option on the DVDs the ability to watch a fixed, static, centered view of the show. It's cool to get the close ups but you miss the overall effect a lot of the time. I actually thought the CA film did a better job of capturing the lighting effects than the TM film. The TM film didn't come close to presenting how cool the "spider" lighting rig really was. I assume they have a fixed camera center view of the entire stage every time they film and given the capacity of Blu Ray I would think offering that view as an option would be easily doable.
  • Like 2

Get the guys who recorded Toto's last DVD.

Say what you like about the band, but the quality of that DVD was flawless!

• Like 1

I've always wished they would offer as an option on the DVDs the ability to watch a fixed, static, centered view of the show. It's cool to get the close ups but you miss the overall effect a lot of the time. I actually thought the CA film did a better job of capturing the lighting effects than the TM film. The TM film didn't come close to presenting how cool the "spider" lighting rig really was. I assume they have a fixed camera center view of the entire stage every time they film and given the capacity of Blu Ray I would think offering that view as an option would be easily doable.

This!!! I would think a band like Rush, who put a lot of thought into the visual feast of lights, video and stage effects that accompany the music every tour, would insist on having a static shot of that show available to give people the real feeling of being there.

I almost prefer watching high quality bootlegs, filmed from a single vantage point, to the official releases anymore.

The real problem is that many bands (not just Rush) hire editors who are not fans and don't really grasp the artist's music. They are only editing a Rush video - with a zillion angle changes - to show themselves off and pad their resumes. I wish the band would realize that's not what most of their fans really want and either take the time to edit the videos themselves or spend more time in the review and approval process before release.

This!!! I would think a band like Rush, who put a lot of thought into the visual feast of lights, video and stage effects that accompany the music every tour, would insist on having a static shot of that show available to give people the real feeling of being there.

I almost prefer watching high quality bootlegs, filmed from a single vantage point, to the official releases anymore.

The real problem is that many bands (not just Rush) hire editors who are not fans and don't really grasp the artist's music. They are only editing a Rush video - with a zillion angle changes - to show themselves off and pad their resumes. I wish the band would realize that's not what most of their fans really want and either take the time to edit the videos themselves or spend more time in the review and approval process before release.

I've been hoping this since the last DVD came out That was horrible. Worst editing on a DVD that I've see so far. Maybe we should start a petition? :)

I'd prefer it to be edited by someone that doesn't have ADHD

Way back when, I said the same thing about the Rush In Rio DVD on the old Tri-Net message board, and BOY.....did that ever cause a ruckus!! A few self-righteous people were all in a tizzy about my ADHD comment..... :laughing guy: :laughing guy:

• Like 1

Get the guys who recorded Toto's last DVD.

Say what you like about the band, but the quality of that DVD was flawless!

The Toto Blu-rays "Falling in Between Live" and "35th Anniversary Concert Live in Poland" are top notch! What a sound and video, incredible quality. One of the best in my collection. (y) I think the AC/CD Live at River Plate very good also.

I think S&A's is the best DVD they've had so far. In every way.

And it's my favorite DVD too because I was there at both shows in the first few rows :hail:

Well that would certainly make it even more special. :)

• Like 1

I actually love a lot of the camera angles they got for the CA film. The overhead shots are quite cool.

The problem is they don't stick with any of the cameras for more than 3 seconds. Even during the climax of "Carnies" - which all you need is a SINGLE wide stage shot to capture the band, pyro and rocking string section together at once - there are still like 20 cuts. Makes me want to strangle the editors!

• Like 1

I actually love a lot of the camera angles they got for the CA film. The overhead shots are quite cool.

The problem is they don't stick with any of the cameras for more than 3 seconds. Even during the climax of "Carnies" - which all you need is a SINGLE wide stage shot to capture the band, pyro and rocking string section together at once - there are still like 20 cuts. Makes me want to strangle the editors!

I actually yelled out loud at my tv........STOP IT!!!!!!!!!!!

lol.

Mick

• Like 1

I think S&A's is the best DVD they've had so far. In every way.

Why, did they edit out the entire coma inducing run of dirges from S&A?