Signals - What's the fuss about?

jefeltner11

Why is it so well-received as to be frequently referred to as better than Power Windows, Grace Under Pressure, and even Moving Pics? I love the album, sure, but I feel like the songs just fall flat to the other competition I listed. What makes it better? I'm not instigating, just curious. Digital Man and New World Man just make me shudder....
  • Like 1

2nd Favorite album, not a bad song on it.

Nothing bad, but the only one that really stands out for me is Subdivisions. The Weapon just barely misses the mark.

Lee's bass sounds great on this album, and there are some fantastic moments when the three of them are just so locked--lots of great stuff in the Weapon and the solo section of digital man. I love Lifeson's riffs and lead work on this album, too. Although there are lots of synths, much better use is made of them as lead instruments, and there are no irritating and distracting synth shots like you hear on Power Windows and Hold Your Fire.

http://www.therushforum.com/index.php?/topic/30155-signals/

Edited by toymaker
  • Like 1

I don't think there's a bad song on the album either. I love the drum sound on it. Especially the beginning of Digital Man. I wish Neil's drums still sounded this good.
  • Like 12

Maybe it's all from a technical standpoint? They just don't groove for me. Feels like someofo the precursors to awkward transitions like in the later years of Vapor Trails and Test for Echo.... Maybe I'm just a dummy. :o :ph34r:
  • Like 1

Maybe it's all from a technical standpoint? They just don't groove for me. Feels like someofo the precursors to awkward transitions like in the later years of Vapor Trails and Test for Echo.... Maybe I'm just a dummy. :o :ph34r:

If there's one thing that this forum has confirmed for me it's that everyone has his or her own mysterious relationship with music. The complex composite of sounds either gives you pleasure or it doesn't. Nothing to do with intelligence or experience, as far as I'm concerned.

• Like 9

I love Signals, the only weak points would be Chemistry (which is OK) and Losing It (not terrible).

Overall, I like it more than P/G because of the superior songwriting although the guitar sound on Grace is far better.

I don't think they really perfected the snyths until Power Windows but they still work pretty well on Subdivisions and The Weapon. No complaints from me!

• Like 1

It's a good album, there's no denying that. I personally don't rank it especially high, but it does have two 10/10 songs on it (Subdivisions and The Analog Kid).
  • Like 1

If there's one thing that this forum has confirmed for me it's that everyone has his or her own mysterious relationship with music. The complex composite of sounds either gives you pleasure or it doesn't. Nothing to do with intelligence or experience, as far as I'm concerned.

So true. Art is subjective and it actually makes no sense at all to come on here and comment on which songs are good and bad.. Only what you like or don't! But people keeping getting caught up in it any way..

Why is it so well-received as to be frequently referred to as better than Power Windows, Grace Under Pressure, and even Moving Pics? I love the album, sure, but I feel like the songs just fall flat to the other competition I listed. What makes it better? I'm not instigating, just curious. Digital Man and New World Man just make me shudder....

Funny...I put this in the car a couple of days ago and have been listening to it. The third time through I was thinking along these same lines, that the collection of songs as a whole is not that remarkable.

Subdivisions is perfection, of course. And Losing It is fantastic as well (I really paid attention to the varying time signatures today, which was good fun). Digital Man, Analog Kid and New World Man are solid. The Weapon is a bit plodding, but interesting. I had forgotten that the first stanza has question marks at the end of each line. That's important in terms of the song's meaning. Next is Countdown, which is great in terms of the keyboard solos, but the rest is pretty dull. Chemistry is a better read than listen.

It's not a terrible album, but it's not like the others you've mentioned, which I can leave in and listen to for weeks without getting bored.

• Like 1

I don't think there's a bad song on the album either. I love the drum sound on it. Especially the beginning of Digital Man. I wish Neil's drums still sounded this good.

The drums are excellent. :goodone:
  • Like 3

I'm kind of hot and cold with Signals. The songs that I love on it, I really love! But those are six songs, out of the eight. Chemistry and Losing it don't do a lot for me, most of the time. But everything else is fantastic.

That being said, I think Grace Under Pressure is even a little better. I love Power Windows as well, and Hold Your Fire is up there with Hemispheres. In my opinion. So take it for what you will.

• Like 1

I couldn't agree more.

Only three songs keep me coming back: The Weapon, Losing It and Countdown. I enjoy it, I happen to think it is pretty great. But the albums that came before and after are much better! Signals is the one reason why I do not regret Terry Brown leaving: he just didn't get where Rush were going, and after his departure they became a lot better at this synthy rock sound.

A solid 7/10 from me, which personally I think is a great score (on a scale of 1-5 it would be a four, not to shabby methinks!).

Sometimes I feel Signals is more recognized just because Broon produced it and the old school fans left the band in the dust after this one came out.

Grace Under Pressure is easily one of my all time favorites, but Signals is a top 5 album.

• Like 2

top 4 record for me. A lot of people don't like the production......but it's so cool. I love it.

Mick

That's what I think turns a lot of people off.... it was Terry Brown's "swan song" and people seem to think that he didn't know how to handle the key's sounds, and a few other things... I honestly think it's a respectable follow up to MP....

It's not the first one I grab, but I don't hate it....

• Like 1

top 4 record for me. A lot of people don't like the production......but it's so cool. I love it.

Mick

That's what I think turns a lot of people off.... it was Terry Brown's "swan song" and people seem to think that he didn't know how to handle the key's sounds, and a few other things... I honestly think it's a respectable follow up to MP....

It's not the first one I grab, but I don't hate it....

I really like Signals. But GUP-Presto are all so much better (and I even prefer the sound of Presto to Signals). For me, Signals is the weakest of all the Classic Rush albums.

• Like 2

Given the direction the band went, I think it was wise to part with Broon, because I think the Peter Collins' produced albums sound much better than Signals.

That being said, if I were in the room when they were debating the songs on Signals, I would have taken Broon's side. He apparently wanted them to stay more Hemispheres-Moving Pictures Rush, and they wanted to do stuff like Digital Man, which I don't like.

Apart from Subdivisions and The Analog Kid, which are awesome, I think Signals is a huge step down in quality from Hemispheres, Permanent Waves and Moving Pictures.

• Like 2

Umm...PoW and GuP? Those are the heavy hitters that are better than Signals? Signals is a below average album for the band, but GuP and PoW aren't much, if any, better.

Sometimes I feel Signals is more recognized just because Broon produced it and the old school fans left the band in the dust after this one came out.

Grace Under Pressure is easily one of my all time favorites, but Signals is a top 5 album.

It's also more recognized because it followed the band's biggest success, and it had Subdivisions on it. Take off that song and release it in 1987, and it would blend in with the other sub-par music from the synth era.

I will agree that music is so subjective. There are certain Rush songs I am not too fond of, yet I see people on here comment on how much they love them and I scratch my head. Conversely, there will be a song that really grabs me and I read some people saying it sucks, or whatever, and I think they are nuts.

The good thing about that is that it's proof that Rush hasn't really made any bad songs. :LOL: Seriously, maybe we're just not meant to appreciate everything.

• Like 1