Signals - What's the fuss about?

jefeltner11

as for this thread, "why do people enjoy different things" come on man... you had to make a thread on a rush forum asking rush fans why they like a certain rush album?

every tour people are wanting to hear more songs from this album than from any of the 90s or 2000s ones. if you're one of the people who can recognize good guitar-playing even when its not super derivative of jimmy page and steve howe, you'll notice some of alex's best and most atmospheric/complimentary playing. better bass-playing than maybe any album ever made by anybody? diversity...there's a lot to like about the album. good, clear production. no synth overkill yet.

I would much rather hear music from RTB, TFE, or VT than Signals. And If I hadn't just heard all of CA live, I'd add that one as well. Signals just doesn't stand the test of time. It is forever buried in synths.

that's your right to feel that way. I think if you asked every single rush fan in the world, signals would do better in a poll than any of those albums except maybe CA. so just be aware that you're the segue myles in this situation

man, I remember after analog kid in nashville they played bravado. talk about buzzkill

A poll you say? :outtahere:

• Like 3

as for this thread, "why do people enjoy different things" come on man... you had to make a thread on a rush forum asking rush fans why they like a certain rush album?

every tour people are wanting to hear more songs from this album than from any of the 90s or 2000s ones. if you're one of the people who can recognize good guitar-playing even when its not super derivative of jimmy page and steve howe, you'll notice some of alex's best and most atmospheric/complimentary playing. better bass-playing than maybe any album ever made by anybody? diversity...there's a lot to like about the album. good, clear production. no synth overkill yet.

I would much rather hear music from RTB, TFE, or VT than Signals. And If I hadn't just heard all of CA live, I'd add that one as well. Signals just doesn't stand the test of time. It is forever buried in synths.

that's your right to feel that way. I think if you asked every single rush fan in the world, signals would do better in a poll than any of those albums except maybe CA. so just be aware that you're the segue myles in this situation

man, I remember after analog kid in nashville they played bravado. talk about buzzkill

It should do better than any of them including CA. Its better than any of them front to back in my view by a fair margin... Edited by Narpsberg
  • Like 1

bathory, eat my poo :codger:

• Like 3

Alex's guitar buried in Signals? :unsure:

i know, lol.......it could be better......but not buried........sigh......Rush fans, lol

Mick

It's only "buried" when compared with the albums that preceded it. Little did we know how much more the synths were going to take over.

• Like 1

I started a poll.

Bathory, we'll let you know the results in a few days. :)

Should be a slaughter...

"Goodbye rubberhead, so long boob

Go and blow your inner tube

I've got a brand new sugar cube

So goodbye rubberhead so long boob!" :musicnote: :musicnote:

-Stompin' Tom Connors

• Like 1

compare analog kid solo with the first few seconds of grand designs - sounds like a different band.

Compare Losing It instead. Analog Kid is the one song that still sounds almost like the earlier Rush.

I'm sure you're right, especially among the hardcore fans here that needed the band to poke them in the eyes for a few straight records before deciding to disengage from the hero-worship of every album. Nostalgia is a funny thing.

A poll you say? :outtahere:

Hemispheres wins. :LOL:

• Like 3

I'm sure you're right, especially among the hardcore fans here that needed the band to poke them in the eyes for a few straight records before deciding to disengage from the hero-worship of every album. Nostalgia is a funny thing.

ah, nostalgia. must explain your love of any 90s band that ever had a top 10 hit single :16ton:

compare analog kid solo with the first few seconds of grand designs - sounds like a different band.

Compare Losing It instead. Analog Kid is the one song that still sounds almost like the earlier Rush.

losing it doesn't sound like anything on power windows.

Why is it so well-received as to be frequently referred to as better than Power Windows, Grace Under Pressure, and even Moving Pics? I love the album, sure, but I feel like the songs just fall flat to the other competition I listed. What makes it better? I'm not instigating, just curious. Digital Man and New World Man just make me shudder....

Umm...PoW and GuP? Those are the heavy hitters that are better than Signals? Signals is a below average album for the band, but GuP and PoW aren't much, if any, better.

I used them as examples because they are within the same time-frame/musical style as each other. Obviously, 2112 -PeW trumps all.

It was more of a question about how it holds up better than the others I listed, and although it is a futile and over-done topic, I was interested in getting some other opinions. :dweez:

• Like 1

It's a good album, there's no denying that. I personally don't rank it especially high, but it does have two 10/10 songs on it (Subdivisions and The Analog Kid).

Agree completely. Not a bad record overall, but 2 songs in, it's already peaked. Nothing after comes close.

P/G and Power Windows are far more consistent.

Sometimes I feel Signals is more recognized just because Broon produced it and the old school fans left the band in the dust after this one came out.

Grace Under Pressure is easily one of my all time favorites, but Signals is a top 5 album.

It's also more recognized because it followed the band's biggest success, and it had Subdivisions on it. Take off that song and release it in 1987, and it would blend in with the other sub-par music from the synth era.

Except for the muddy production.

losing it doesn't sound like anything on power windows.

It very easily could, with different production.

Anyone else?

Neil's playing a steady and simple bass drum pattern - thump, thump, thump, thump. I believe that Lee just has to hit a key, right on the beat, which starts the synth pattern. I've never really watched what he does here, but that's my guess.

It can be an agreed upon count, two measures, three measures, whatever, a certain high-hat pattern, or you can improvise and go by feel. Live on the Grace video it's when Count Floyd says "synthesizer". Rehearsal makes it all automatic, of course.

It's a good album, there's no denying that. I personally don't rank it especially high, but it does have two 10/10 songs on it (Subdivisions and The Analog Kid).

Agree completely. Not a bad record overall, but 2 songs in, it's already peaked. Nothing after comes close.

P/G and Power Windows are far more consistent.

I disagree. I can't consider an album that stumbles from the likes of Distant Early Warning to the likes of Red Lenses to be consistent. Grace is consistently good for four songs, and then it nosedives straight to hell.

Power Windows isn't even consistent within its individual tracks (as a number of them go from weak part to strong part to weak part), never mind from song to song.

There's nothing that I skip or dislike on Signals, and I prefer many of its supposedly "sub-par" songs to The Analog Kid.

• Like 2