Signals - What's the fuss about?

jefeltner11

It's a good album, there's no denying that. I personally don't rank it especially high, but it does have two 10/10 songs on it (Subdivisions and The Analog Kid).

Agree completely. Not a bad record overall, but 2 songs in, it's already peaked. Nothing after comes close.

P/G and Power Windows are far more consistent.

I disagree. I can't consider an album that stumbles from the likes of Distant Early Warning to the likes of Red Lenses to be consistent. Grace is consistently good for four songs, and then it nosedives straight to hell.

Power Windows isn't even consistent within its individual tracks (as a number of them go from weak part to strong part to weak part), never mind from song to song.

There's nothing that I skip or dislike on Signals, and I prefer many of its supposedly "sub-par" songs to The Analog Kid.

:goodone: :goodone: :goodone: :goodone: :goodone:

• Like 1

Power Windows i love. But p/g is just plain bad. It just sounds like they have no earthly idea what the hell they're doing on it......sometimes that approach makes gold. Here it makes......stupid songs.

sorry if this sounds close minded, lol

Mick

Power Windows i love. But p/g is just plain bad. It just sounds like they have no earthly idea what the hell they're doing on it......sometimes that approach makes gold. Here it makes......stupid songs.

Mick

Haha...well, it kind of does, yeah.

I have to disagree. I also love Power Windows, but not quite as much overall as Grace Under Pressure (nor Hold Your Fire, for that matter).

Whether you can't hear it, or you deny it, or whatever- GUP is a concept album, the likes of which had not been seen since the late '70s epics. I realize that that alone does not make the songs good...but excepting Red Lenses, they really are.

Bow your head and pray to the mother of all machines, Mick. ;)

• Like 3

Someone that doesn't like a Rush song or album is close minded? :unsure:

No, I don't mean that. But to say that it "sounds like they have no earthly idea what the hell they're doing" is a bit obtuse. In my opinion.

I can even deal with the "stupid songs" judgment more than the idea that they didn't know what they were doing.

And might I add- Mick, it was a very un-New Yawk thing to do, to apologize. Haha! :LOL: But I seized on it.

Edited by Blue J
  • Like 1

Someone that doesn't like a Rush song or album is close minded? :unsure:

No, I don't mean that. But to say that it "sounds like they have no earthly idea what the hell they're doing" is a bit obtuse. In my opinion.

I can even deal with the "stupid songs" judgment more than the idea that they didn't know what they were doing.

And might I add- Mick, it was a very un-New Yawk thing to do, to apologize. Haha! :LOL: But I seized on it.

I can only tell you what my ears hear, lol

and the apology thing.......i'm in a good mood. lol

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000

Guys who think songs like Chemistry and Digital Man are amongst the bands best songs honestly make me feel better about having Chain Lightning and Sweet Miracle in my top ten!

And that makes me feel even better about loving Digital Man.

Good! Lol

Is Signals you're favourite Rush album?

No

Do you know of any decent bootlegs from the signals tour? Lately, live Rush has been hooking me, I have downloaded Black Forest, and that improved my view on Hems 100%.

Oh, Segue! I just love the bootlegs. Why don't you put your name on the list to get the hard drive of almost two thousand Rush bootlegs? That is, if the person who has had it since forever ever puts it in the mail to the next person on this list. :sarcastic:

My favorite version of The Weapon is from the Grace Under Pressure tour bootleg Cool Under Fire.

I don't have many Signals' tour bootlegs unfortunately. You might try to find Music In The Abstract 12/09/82 - I don't think the sound is as good as other bootlegs, but it's not bad.

That's it, yes- that's the one, same date, from '82, that I was trying to remember.

I don't think there are any boots from the Signaks your that have really outstanding sound, as there are no soundboards, that I'm aware of. But a few of the audience recordings are decent, at least.

12/9/82. Not aware if it has an actual title but thats the date of the show I have and its freakin sweet.

• Like 1

A lot of people don't like the production......but it's so cool. I love it.

^^^^says the man who thinks Clockwork Angels is a POS, claiming it has the production value of a turd.

For Signals, you understand the muted nature of the record, praising it's nuance. It's "different". You get that.

However, with Clockwork Angels, a towering achievement compared to Signals, has no value other than a place to set a corn dog and tater tots as you veg in front of a Tom Waits video. Signals is a good record, but it's no CA!

Mick

:moon:

• Like 1

^^^^says the man who thinks Clockwork Angels is a POS, claiming it has the production value of a turd.

For Signals, you understand the muted nature of the record, praising it's nuance. It's "different". You get that.

However, with Clockwork Angels, a towering achievement compared to Signals, has no value other than a place to set a corn dog and tater tots as you veg in front of a Tom Waits video. Signals is a good record, but it's no CA!

I still don't know what you find such a "towering achievement" about CA. The lyrics? The music itself? Must be something in particular because IMO, the lyrics are really kind of sub-par for Neil.

• Like 1

Only issue i have with signals is i gave it so much play in its day i'm kinda burnt out on it, gets a listen around once a year now.

I still don't know what you find such a "towering achievement" about CA. The lyrics? The music itself? Must be something in particular because IMO, the lyrics are really kind of sub-par for Neil.

http://i341.photobucket.com/albums/o371/x1yyz/MOIST_zpsv5j05ey9.jpg

Then you must be moved by the new album's lyrics, which have certainly touched new ground. Consider the song Adam's Rib, sure to get your hamster jogging:

For years along the Darwinian path

ambition lifted man to the skies.

Searching beyond the veil for the echo of our past

Only to discover wisps of terrestrial lies.

Not alone, yet we can't see our guests

Walking beside us, step by step.

We've never seen the coming hordes

As we stare into empty nests.

Arriving at the points between enchantment and disillusion

Our lives are revealed for what they are.

Life is nature's tedious ad-lib,

We come from Adam's Rib.

Edited by Tombstone Mountain

:LOL:
  • Like 1

http://i341.photobucket.com/albums/o371/x1yyz/MOIST_zpsv5j05ey9.jpg

Then you must be moved by the new album's lyrics, which have certainly touched new ground. Consider the song Adam's Rib, sure to get your hamster jogging:

For years along the Darwinian path

ambition lifted man to the skies.

Searching beyond the veil for the echo of our past

Only to discover wisps of terrestrial lies.

Not alone, yet we can't see our guests

Walking beside us, step by step.

We've never seen the coming hordes

As we stare into empty nests.

Arriving at the points between enchantment and disillusion

Our lives are revealed for what they are.

Life is nature's tedious ad-lib,

We come from Adam's Rib.

Um...okay. Whatever that is.

• Like 1

Dude i say this as a friend..........

YOU HAVE DEFECTIVE EARS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CA sucks, always has sucked, and always will suck.

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 2

A real curve ball from Terry and the gang, coming off of the electrifying MP production. I remember feeling underwhelmed and greatly disappointed on first listens. Gloomy, muted and anticlimatic was my initial impression. It still interested me but I let it "go" and then P/G brought me back. It took me quite a long time to appreciate how fantastic the album is. From the warm analog sound to the powerful but restrained sounding drums, gorgeous and ethereal guitar and punchy bass. This is one of Terry/Rush's finest works ever. If you do 't think so, keep listening til the incandescent comes on above ur head!

compare analog kid solo with the first few seconds of grand designs - sounds like a different band.

Compare Losing It instead. Analog Kid is the one song that still sounds almost like the earlier Rush.

losing it doesn't sound like anything on power windows.

It very easily could, with different production.

yeah but now you're saying that if it sounded different it would sound different.

Edited by bathory

Wow. The differing opinions are fascinating.

Some people like wine, some beer, some whiskey. No right, no wrong.

Music is the most subjective medium in the world.

stunning revelation

• Like 2