Why is there so much hate against Snakes & Arrows?

YYZumbi

Not a fan. An admirer, yes. It has amazing strengths (the acoustic guitar parts, clean production).

But song for song, I strongly dislike it, and this is against my own will (I really do love the sound).

I truly wish CA had this albums production.

It took me a number of listens to warm up to the album. Which was a rarity for me since everything else I heard from Rush I usually liked upon first listen. I'm not even sure why I didn't care for it at first? Overall, most of the album is very good. My favorites are Far Cry, Armor & Sword (seriously one of their most underrated songs) Workin' Them Angels and The Way The Wind Blows.

The only songs I don't care that much for are Bravest Face and Faithless.

• Like 1

I, too, complied a Snakes & Arrows edit:

Far Cry

Armor and Sword

Workin' Them Angels

Spindrift

The Main Monkey Business

The Way the Wind Blows

Faithless

We Hold On

Granted, it's still not a masterpiece, but it's good.

I love Snakes & Arrows. It's right up there among my favorites. Bravest Face and Good News First show up a lot on peoples least favorite tunes, but they grew on me quickly and I love both of them. And who doesn't like MonkeyBiz and MalNar!

Me likey, except for a few useless tracks. Sort of middle of the pack, but in the top half of Rush albums for me.

never could warm up to Spindrift.

Me likey, except for a few useless tracks. Sort of middle of the pack, but in the top half of Rush albums for me.

Ah, yes. Sprindrift. What saves that song for me is Alex. Unfortunately, the part that makes the song listenable doesn't come until after the three minute mark I think.

Same for me. It's somewhat of an awkward song.

Ah, yes. Sprindrift. What saves that song for me is Alex. Unfortunately, the part that makes the song listenable doesn't come until after the three minute mark I think.

Yep, the song has some good parts...just not an overall flow.

Far Cry us very good. I really like Workin Them Angels and watching Neil play it up close was fun. The Way The Wind Blows is also a favorite. The instrumentals are all good but not up to YYZ and LA Villa. I like Faithless and The Larger Bowl. Good News First is okay as is We Hold On and Bravest Face. Armour And Sword plods along and irritates me and the lyrics and their delivery in Spindrift don't work at all for me. The production is too loud but better than VT and CA.cut two to four songs and it would be better. I always skip Armor and Sword and Spindrift. Edited by Grover

I like S&A pretty much. Far cry, Armor&Sword,TMMB along with The Larger Bowl and Good News First(gasp) are my favorite.

As my preference : CA>=VT>S&A though.

And yes, I love CA but the lyrics are the weakest point of the record IMHO. Maybe it's partly because of being a concept album to follow the storyline, and the lyrics don't resonate with me like other Rush albums. I seriously wish I hadn't read the CA novel which I thought a bit dull and uninspiring though there had been some potential. Lyrically I like S&A better,preachy or not.

BTW, I recently watched some Rush songs with lyrics on Youtube , and was struck how great the lyrics of Power Windows and Hold Your Fire era. It might be Neil's lyrical pinnacle I think.

• Like 1

I like S&A pretty much. Far cry, Armor&Sword,TMMB along with The Larger Bowl and Good News First(gasp) are my favorite.

As my preference : CA>=VT>S&A though.

And yes, I love CA but the lyrics are the weakest point of the record IMHO. Maybe it's partly because of being a concept album to follow the storyline, and the lyrics don't resonate with me like other Rush albums. I seriously wish I hadn't read the CA novel which I thought a bit dull and uninspiring though there had been some potential. Lyrically I like S&A better,preachy or not.

BTW, I recently watched some Rush songs with lyrics on Youtube , and was struck how great the lyrics of Power Windows and Hold Your Fire era. It might be Neil's lyrical pinnacle I think.

I've always thought a Neil's lyrics could stand alone as great poetry even without the music.

Far Cry us very good. I really like Workin Them Angels and watching Neil play it up close was fun. The Way The Wind Blows is also a favorite. The instrumentals are all good but not up to YYZ and LA Villa. I like Faithless and The Larger Bowl. Good News First is okay as is We Hold On and Bravest Face. Armour And Sword plods along and irritates me and the lyrics and their delivery in Spindrift don't work at all for me. The production is too loud but better than VT and CA.cut two to four songs and it would be better. I always skip Armor and Sword and Spindrift.

Interesting. Those are two of my favorites.

I absolutely love every song on this album (besides TMMB). As a matter of fact, it is my favorite RUSH album, and Bravest Face is my favorite RUSH song - there you go!

Songs that I LOVE - Bravest Face, Armor and Sword, Workin' Them Angels, Far Cry, Faithless, The Larger Bowl, Malignant Narcissism.

Songs that I really like - The Way The Wind Blows, Spindrift, We Hold On, Good News First,

Songs that I strongly dislike - The Main Monkey Business

Edited by DistantEarlySignals

Same reason some tards hate the first album, no taste. While I prefer their music pre Walkabout era from Neil, I find so much to love on every album they put out. Some I didn't like right off and Snakes was one, but I grew to love most of it.Everyone has different tastes, however. Ignore them, or ask them how much they have actually listened to it and coax people into giving what they claim to loathe another chance.
  • Like 1

Same reason some tards hate the first album, no taste. While I prefer their music pre Walkabout era from Neil, I find so much to love on every album they put out. Some I didn't like right off and Snakes was one, but I grew to love most of it.Everyone has different tastes, however. Ignore them, or ask them how much they have actually listened to it and coax people into giving what they claim to loathe another chance.

I'm thinking maybe you should reword that first sentence.

Mick is back! :wub: :wub: :wub:

:D I've just been Really busy helping look after my grandma. i really haven't had a moment to myself, lol.

Mick

You've got your priorities straight, mate! Edited by goose
  • Like 2

:D I've just been Really busy helping look after my grandma. i really haven't had a moment to myself, lol.

Mick

There has been a bunch of yodeling talk all over the forum and you missed it... :D
  • Like 2

Mick

There has been a bunch of yodeling talk all over the forum and you missed it... :D

Oh damn. No Worries. Knowing this place. Another Ged vocal thread will be up in oh say.....an hour or less, lol

Mick

• Like 2