Why is there so much hate against Snakes & Arrows?

YYZumbi

BU2B Is the worst offender as that's just degenerated into whiny self-importance. I nearly threw up when i first heard it.

Mick

I love BU2B.

You guys really hate Faithless, don't you?

My thoughts on the Atheistic Trio played during the Time Machine Tour:

Freewill:

Great song, great lyrics

Faithless:

Good song, bad lyrics.

BU2B:

Shit song, shit lyrics.

Switch Faithless and BU2B, and I'd agree, though I don't mind the lyrics to BU2B.

S&A's music was weak and the lyrics were repetitive as many others have said. It is my least favorite Rush album ever, I listened to it maybe 3 or 4 times and see no need to listen to it ever again. CA was not perfect but had a lot of really good songs. I don't think the overall concept worked very well but CA's good songs (about 70% of the album for me) IMO are the best they've done in 20 years.
  • Like 1

S&A's music was weak and the lyrics were repetitive as many others have said. It is my least favorite Rush album ever, I listened to it maybe 3 or 4 times and see no need to listen to it ever again. CA was not perfect but had a lot of really good songs. I don't think the overall concept worked very well but CA's good songs (about 70% of the album for me) IMO are the best they've done in 20 years.

:goodone:

S&A for me suffers the same fate as most albums in the CD era, too long. Not every melody/idea is worthy of it's own song, but in a "fill up the CD" mentality that's what happens. Rush has put out some awesome 45 minute albums following Power Windows, but they're hidden in 60+ minute CDs.

I dunno why old bands insist on filling up every disc. do they do it just because they can? or is it because people are afraid to tell them something sucks?

• Like 3

S&A for me suffers the same fate as most albums in the CD era, too long. Not every melody/idea is worthy of it's own song, but in a "fill up the CD" mentality that's what happens. Rush has put out some awesome 45 minute albums following Power Windows, but they're hidden in 60+ minute CDs.

I dunno why old bands insist on filling up every disc. do they do it just because they can? or is it because people are afraid to tell them something sucks?

Maybe because they're trying to squeeze every little bit of music they have inside out before they kick the bucket.

:D

• Like 1

Whatever the reason it's annoying. I always wind up having to do trimming. not that that's a big deal. but realistically it should be done by them, lol

Mick

• Like 1

I think CA's their most consistent record in a while and there aren't really any songs I would skip. but I haven't listened to it in forever

Listening to CA right now. The title track and the Anarchist are a great one-two punch.
  • Like 1

Who the fuckk hates this album? I remember writing my review of the album on here. I LOVED IT!!

"Snakes & Arrows" is their best album since "Counterparts!"

Come on man, "We Hold On" is a great closing track!

I'm a weirdo. I love all the songs that Rush DIDN'T play live on that tour!!!

Then again "Faithless" is awful. But besides that the album is great!

"The Good News First" is another gem.

• Like 1

I think Spindrift is about the only saving grace on the album. The "closer to you" part is one of their finer moments in the last shitload of years.

You love that part too? That makes the song. :wub:

I think Spindrift is about the only saving grace on the album. The "closer to you" part is one of their finer moments in the last shitload of years.

You love that part too? That makes the song. :wub:

I don't mind that part, but it doesn't fit the rest of the song, which is why I don't like the song. It's too conflabulated. :D

You're right. It doesn't. That's why it saves the song. :laughing guy:

. Been going through a rough patch, relationship wise, lately, and have been listening to this song a lot lately. I think the three different parts of the song compliment each other perfectly. The albums laid back feel fits the heavier parts, and I'm beginning to think the "closer to you" part is among the best things they've ever done. As a musician, I usually concentrate on the playing, Spindrift might be the only song that I just listen to and enjoy for the songs sake.

Dull follow up to the spellbinding Vapor Trails.

I know you are serious, but I thought this very funny - Vapor Trails has been called a lot on here, but never "spellbinding." :LOL:

For the longest time I never gave VT a chance. About the time of the remix, I decided to do just that. Now it's my favorite between p/g and CA, though there are still some songs ( Freeze, Peaceable Kingdom, Out of the Cradle) that are misses.

Spellbinding is actually a pretty good description.

S&A stinks for multiple reasons: The lyrics suck and are too negative and preachy and the music is uncharacteristically boring and forgettable. It's also three or four songs too long and didn't need multiple instrumentals.

Far Cry and Malnar are the only two songs on the album that actually sound like Rush

Fun Fact: If you want the plodding songs of Snakes to sound more like classic Rush, pull them up on Youtube....Armor and Sword being a good example...and go to the tool box settings cog icon under the picture and toggle the play speed to 1.25. It not only sounds snappier and less draggy but Geddy's voice is higher pitched. I'm not even kidding, the songs sound much better that way.

Edited by jnoble
  • Like 1

I know you are serious, but I thought this very funny - Vapor Trails has been called a lot on here, but never "spellbinding." :LOL:

I think it's more akin to irritable bowel syndrome myself.

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 1

I think it's more akin to irritable bowl syndrome myself.

Mick

:laughing guy:

Mick, you should have been a comedy script writer for SNL skits.

• Like 1

I think it's more akin to irritable bowl syndrome myself.

Mick

:laughing guy:

Mick, you should have been a comedy script writer for SNL skits.

"It's a floor wax!"

"It's a dessert topping!"

Anyone remember that? I think it was Gilda Radner and Dan Aykroyd. Priceless!

• Like 1

I can understand saying Grace Under Pressure is a dull follow up to the spellbinding Signals. :cool:

And I have to say again too - Rush's taste in their own music is even worse than some here. :ph34r:

Geddy's three favorite Rush albums are: Power Windows, Roll The Bones, and Test For Echo. :unsure: Geddy isn't a true Rush fan apparently. :unsure: :unsure:

Geddy's three favorite Rush albums are: Power Windows, Roll The Bones, and Test For Echo. :unsure:

Really? I didn't know that. I was aware of how highly he regards Power Windows (which I used to not care for very much, but just in the past two or three years I discovered I love it tremendously), but not the other two.

Geddy's three favorite Rush albums are: Power Windows, Roll The Bones, and Test For Echo. :unsure:

Really? I didn't know that. I was aware of how highly he regards Power Windows (which I used to not care for very much, but just in the past two or three years I discovered I love it tremendously), but not the other two.

That's what it says in my Rush book.

• Like 1

That's what it says in my Rush book.

Oh, I believe you; I just wasn't aware of that.

And they always FAWN over CP........guys........noooooooo bad Rush. bad!!!!!!!!

Mick

What's wrong with Counterparts?

I think it's the best '90s Rush album by about eleven hundred million billion country miles.

• Like 1

And they always FAWN over CP........guys........noooooooo bad Rush. bad!!!!!!!!

Mick

What's wrong with Counterparts?

I think it's the best '90s Rush album by about eleven hundred million billion country miles.

yuck....Speed of Love. Alien Shore, Cold fire, Double agent, Nobody's Hero.

Lower tier Rush for sure.

Just my opinion.

Mick