Why is there so much hate against Snakes & Arrows?

YYZumbi

Its definitely a middle of the road album for me. I love Spindrift, Far Cry, Bravest Face and the instrumentals. The others are between decent and whatever. I do hate faithless though.

To me, Snakes has melodies, but few if them are really "ear-catching". I mean, I can remember how most of the songs go, but none of them really stand to me melodically... somewhat ironically an instrumental, TMMB, is the most memorable song on there. Couple this with the fact that some of the songs are REALLY bad (Bravest Face, Good News First, etc.) and only a few are much more than "very good" (Armor and Sword, Main Monkey Business, Way The Wind Blows), and you have quite a tedious listening experience.

Snakes & Arrows is not a bad album but there are no melodies, nyances and "touching moments". It's repetitive and heavy and all songs are just the same musical meatloaf.

It suffers from the same "feel" as Vapor Trails.

Clockwork Angels is a HUGE improvement.

Actually it's amazing how much better CA is... now that is a FANTASTIC album. CA brought back the melodies, keyboards/strings and I love it.

Snakes has no melodies?? I feel like CA is lacking far more in the melody department lol
  • Like 1

There's melodies.......it's INSANELY wrong to say there are none. Just not immediately graspable. I've found them......and granted while not as strong they are there. And there are good songs on here. Unlike VT which is an enormous pile of shit.

ahhh. My daily VT bashing.......i feel good, lol

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 4

This thread makes me want to listen to S&A.

Well, at least it might keep you from posting more spam.

It might produce 13 spam posts in "rush song you're currently listening to", or even more if I felt like repeating some of the lyrics in TOST.

also:

Edited by Mr. Not
  • Like 1

I remember when I first joined TRF, many were saying how they didn't like S&A, with the overemphasis on atheism etc. So I didn't listen to it until a couple of years later. I actually prefer the S&A live album and I did like the making of S&A video I found on Youtube around that same time. Far Cry/Working them Angels are the best with the Monkey Business/Mal Nar instrumentals too. Just IMHO
  • Like 1

There's melodies.......it's INSANELY wrong to say there are none. Just not immediately graspable. I've found them......and granted while not as strong they are there. And there are good songs on here. Unlike VT which is an enormous pile of shit.

ahhh. My daily VT bashing.......i feel good, lol

Mick

No way man, it's a bleeding deep personal album to me, the Remix is pretty good but I have to be honest I dig the original. Call me crazy.

• Like 2

Well first off I wasn't too happy with VT....and SnA was a super dissapointment also. All their new material from the year 2000 onward just bores me to tears.Alex doesn't play clean and dynamic anymore. He just strums and yucks it up. And plays some discordant accompaniment while Geddy Yodels. Alex basically plays a sustained A chord on MalNar and I watched in amazement as people flipped over it . I am happy for their newfound success and RRHOF.The Documentary and stuff. I LOVE that people have gotten a insight to my favorite band of the last three decades.The band I was always talking to them about . but to me it came at a time they recorded their worse music. They are super smart fellows and knew exactly how to accomplish what they needed to do after the year 2000 and they got it done in spades. I will give them that. To me the Pro Tools effects on CwA's sound thin and cheesy . But that is a argument I have with all new music. Old fogey rant now in standby mode.
  • Like 3

When one describes a Rush song as "atheistic, condescending, preachy, lacking meldoy"... I only picture Faithless (hold the melody bit) and BU2B (holy the melody bit for the bridge).

Faithless has pretty bad lyrics, but at least he music is good unlike in BU2B.

"I will quietly resist"? Can you explain why you're trying to write an atheist's anthem, then? :LOL:

• Like 1

When one describes a Rush song as "atheistic, condescending, preachy, lacking meldoy"... I only picture Faithless (hold the melody bit) and BU2B (holy the melody bit for the bridge).

Faithless has pretty bad lyrics, but at least he music is good unlike in BU2B.

"I will quietly resist"? Can you explain why you're trying to write an atheist's anthem, then? :LOL:

BU2B has the most whiny lyrics i have ever heard. Neil Is just moaning way to much, lol. Yes you hate religion......NOW SHUT UP!!!!!!!!! lol

Mick

• Like 1

Neil should have stopped writing lyrics after Far Cry.

What's wrong with this album?

Where to start...

Preachy, repetitive lyrics

Non melodic boring songs

Other than that, it's not that horrible.

Thank God they didn't go out with that turd and returned to classic form with CA, their best work since 1984.

If they had we wouldn't have felt so bad as most of us would have known that the time had indeed arrived for them to call it a day. :)

• Like 1

Me too maybe I missed something

You didn't. ;)

I thought I was missing something too, so I listened to it over and over and over. Six songs are okay - you can keep the rest.

Which songs is it you like?

You didn't. ;)

I thought I was missing something too, so I listened to it over and over and over. Six songs are okay - you can keep the rest.

Far Cry

Armor and Sword

Workin Them Angels

Spindrft (thanks to Alex and that most hauntingly beautiful guitar part that begins at 2:39)

Hope

We Hold On

You didn't. ;)

Far Cry

Armor and Sword

Workin Them Angels

Spindrft (thanks to Alex and that most hauntingly beautiful guitar part that begins at 2:39)

Hope

We Hold On

Spindrift? Thats a surprise, most people hate it.

• Like 1