Why is there so much hate against Snakes & Arrows?

YYZumbi

There is not exactly a tonne of hate towards Snakes and Arrows, but not all fans feel that to be a "fan" you have to love everything Rush have touched, especially in the studio. It is great fun to talk at length about albums we love, but it is no shame to not like Snakes and Arrows. As much as I try and convinvce naysayers that Presto and Vapor Trails are brilliant, it is a fact of life that not everybody is going to share my tastes in Rush.

Snakes and Arrows just isn't the sort of Rush album that is going to appeal to everybody. And the same can be said for virtually every Rush album.

Pointless thread. There will be those who love, those who like, those who hate, and those who just do not care.

• Like 3

There is not exactly a tonne of hate towards Snakes and Arrows, but not all fans feel that to be a "fan" you have to love everything Rush have touched, especially in the studio. It is great fun to talk at length about albums we love, but it is no shame to not like Snakes and Arrows. As much as I try and convinvce naysayers that Presto and Vapor Trails are brilliant, it is a fact of life that not everybody is going to share my tastes in Rush.

Snakes and Arrows just isn't the sort of Rush album that is going to appeal to everybody. And the same can be said for virtually every Rush album.

Pointless thread. There will be those who love, those who like, those who hate, and those who just do not care.

Spot on.

Your bit about Presto/VT could be said the same for how I am with Counterparts. My despise for Presto is certainly no secret around here but Vapor Trails is a middle of the pack album for me that has quite the selection of songs I really enjoy, and consider them up towards the top of their work. I remain impressed they were able to write songs like that given all the turmoil they went through at the time, however horrible the production was the first time around.

But I digress.

I really like Snakes and Arrows. It's quite a few notches below CA in terms of quality - it's comparing a masterpiece to something that's just great - yet it's still an album that I will pop in for my enjoyment.

Bravest Face is a horrible song.

Snakes has about four or five good songs.

It is way too long as an album.

And, yes. After the first few songs, they all start to sound the same.

That is something I don't understand... How can a album be too long? Is it not better if it's long?

I think an album can be too long, yes. A shorter album, say 45-50 minutes, can be better than an album that is nearly 70 minutes. A longer album can also be fantasttic, but the logic doesn't follow that it is a better album precisely because it is longer than another.

With regard to Snakes and Arrows- I love it. I agree with what you said about the good mix of acoustic and electric guitar, and I think quite a few of the songs are really, really good.

• Like 1

As much as I try and convinvce naysayers that Presto and Vapor Trails are brilliant, it is a fact of life that not everybody is going to share my tastes in Rush.

Yes, but Presto IS brilliant!

People don't like Snakes and Arrows because the the lyrics in the song are basically atheist - really it's one song they don't like, "Faithless," which is a great song, IMHO. It's a great album, although, admittedly, if I had been a Rush fan my whole life, I'm not sure I would have like those lyrics either, earlier in my life, when that album was written.

As much as I try and convinvce naysayers that Presto and Vapor Trails are brilliant, it is a fact of life that not everybody is going to share my tastes in Rush.

Yes, but Presto IS brilliant!

IT IS! IT SO IS!

IT DESERVES PRAISE SPELLED OUT ONLY IN CAPITALS!

PRESTO FTW!

• Like 1

Actually it's the uninspiring music and playing that I don't like rather than the lyrics!

Agreed.

• Like 2

People don't like Snakes and Arrows because the the lyrics in the song are basically atheist - really it's one song they don't like, "Faithless," which is a great song, IMHO. It's a great album, although, admittedly, if I had been a Rush fan my whole life, I'm not sure I would have like those lyrics either, earlier in my life, when that album was written.

There are plenty of atheistic lyrics in songs I really enjoy...some of their best songs, in fact.

They're not combined with dull, dirge like music. And they're not as unrelentingly preachy.

Edited by laughedatbytime
  • Like 2

There are plenty of atheistic lyrics in songs I really enjoy...some of their best songs, in fact.

They're not combined with dull, dirge like music. And they're not as unrelentingly preachy.

I'm an atheist and Wish Neil would shut up about it. He seems stuck lyrically nowadays. Move on, lol

Mick

• Like 3

Yeah, I don't want to hear religious or anti-religious stuff in their music. I know he's done it in the past but was more subtle about it. I think the music on it is good though. Of the three recent studio albums, I prefer Vapor Trails.
  • Like 3

I am an agnostic that doesn't like religion, and I still don't like the lyrics. They're just not very inspired.

• Like 1

I think it is a fine album with some great tunes on it. As aforementioned it is too long. Cut some of the weaker songs off, throw in some more melodic bass playing, and it would be great. Faithless is my favorite track from this record.
  • Like 2

For me, the removal of The Larger Bowl, Bravest Face, and Hope would bring this to a one sitting listening experience. I don't care for those three songs either.

I don't hate it, but...

http://www.quickmeme.com/img/f2/f2242743b97f61442b2a80c824e4dc0474bcafacbe2e377599689cdd5338c999.jpg

• Like 3

I am an agnostic that doesn't like religion, and I still don't like the lyrics. They're just not very inspired.

It might not be where you live, but it is where I live. People feel more safe to proclaim they're gay than they're atheist. Lord only knows what that would have been like 25 or even 50 years ago to say that publicly. I know I don't tell anyone in the south that I'm an atheist.

Snakes & Arrows is not a bad album but there are no melodies, nyances and "touching moments". It's repetitive and heavy and all songs are just the same musical meatloaf.

It suffers from the same "feel" as Vapor Trails.

Clockwork Angels is a HUGE improvement.

Actually it's amazing how much better CA is... now that is a FANTASTIC album. CA brought back the melodies, keyboards/strings and I love it.

• Like 3