This has been discussed countless times on here.

It has?

Bands like Yes don't have a real identifiable blues influence in their music. Rock music comes from the blues. Therefore, Yes suck. They are too technical and pretentious.

I don't remember ever seeing anything like this discussed here.

Listen to Yes's first album- the blues influence is definitely there. And that was before Steve Howe even came along.

Listen to a song like The Clap or Perpetual Change, from The Yes Album- country blues and blues influences galore.

The title track from Going For the One also features some very rockabilly-influenced slide guitar- and slide guitar is almost universally unheard in prog rock.

Considering all of the other artists who are there, Yes deserved to be inducted twenty years ago.

Really glad to see Stevie Ray- that's overdue- and Paul Butterfield is long overdue as well.

I was being sarcastic:)

A-ha! To use another British-ism...you were taking the piss!

A-ha are a great band!

Nominate them next year please!

• Like 1

It has?

Bands like Yes don't have a real identifiable blues influence in their music. Rock music comes from the blues. Therefore, Yes suck. They are too technical and pretentious.

Listen to Yes's first album- the blues influence is definitely there. And that was before Steve Howe even came along.

Listen to a song like The Clap or Perpetual Change, from The Yes Album- country blues and blues influences galore.

The title track from Going For the One also features some very rockabilly-influenced slide guitar- and slide guitar is almost universally unheard in prog rock.

Considering all of the other artists who are there, Yes deserved to be inducted twenty years ago.

Really glad to see Stevie Ray- that's overdue- and Paul Butterfield is long overdue as well.

A-ha are a great band!

:eyeroll: :LOL:

It has?

A-ha are a great band!

:eyeroll: :LOL:

"Taaaaaakkkkke oooooooonnnnnn meeeeeeeeee"

• Like 1

This has been discussed countless times on here. Bands like Yes don't have a real identifiable blues influence in their music. Rock music comes from the blues. Therefore, Yes suck. They are too technical and pretentious. Unlike Joan Jett, who plays from the heart.

Donna Summer and Madonna, there's some blues...

Yes was a Prog Rock juggernaut with musicianship that runs circles around many of the bands already there. They deserve to be in.

• Like 1

This has been discussed countless times on here. Bands like Yes don't have a real identifiable blues influence in their music. Rock music comes from the blues. Therefore, Yes suck. They are too technical and pretentious. Unlike Joan Jett, who plays from the heart.

Donna Summer and Madonna, there's some blues...

Yes was a Prog Rock juggernaut with musicianship that runs circles around many of the bands already there. They deserve to be in.

Ooops hahahahaa, missed your sarcasm.

I love Madonna.

Her eighties output was stonkingly great.

Her nineties work a notch below.

The last fifteen years have been very hit and miss...

On the whole, Madonna has that IT factor that makes me happy to see her sitting alongside Rush and The Beatles.

hahaha

channeling your inner christgau, huh?

They deserve it more than Joan Jett and the Blackhearts.

If Webster's wants to use this as the example of how to use the phrase "damning with faint praise", they're welcome to do so.

Green Day wrote songs criticizing George W. Bush. So now you know why they join Obama and Carter as underserving laureates.

:facepalm: why bring politics in to this? :eh:

Maybe because that's why critics love Green Day? And because Obama and Carter won Nobel Prizes for basically criticizing Bush? Obama won his after being in office less than a year and Carter won his in 2002 after criticizing America's response to September 11, but more than 20 years after he left office. Do you see the connection?

• Like 1

If Webster's wants to use this as the example of how to use the phrase "damning with faint praise", they're welcome to do so.

Green Day wrote songs criticizing George W. Bush. So now you know why they join Obama and Carter as underserving laureates.

Yeah, someone who had people killed for a pointless war with his evil sidekick as VP and sat on his ass during Katrina. That's a deserving laureate.

http://weknowmemes.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/oh-wait-youre-serious-let-me-laugh-even-harder.jpg

Thanks for reminding me why I NEVER post on the politics board. I see enough crap on IMDB and Facebook. BTW, I find Obama a mixed bag and hate both parties since I'm a green party convert anyways so don't even think of labeling me a "kool aid drinking Obama worshipping lib." He lost my support when he flip flopped on food labeling. DINO Sillary is pathetic as well.

Yeah. Not really a relevant response. Bush hasn't won something like a Nobel prize. Green Day, who stink and don't deserve HoF induction, got in for the same reason a man who had been president for 3 months when Nobel votes were cast, and another man who's presidency is shorthand for failure, won awards. I'm glad you're not a member of a major party though. Because I care one way or another.

american idiot is a shitty shitty record, make no mistake, but for a concept album about why george w bush sucks to become THAT popular, not only with critics but with school children and regular joes too? when's the last time a concept album was that big? the wall? I mean, as lame as it is, american idiot is probably the last rock album kids will ever go and buy en masse like that. plus, they've influenced a bunch of huge bands. shitty bands yeah, but green day have certainly made their mark.

I don't really think they are deserving of the hall considering all the omissions, but in a perfect world where all the deserving 60s/70s/80s bands have already been added to the hall, well, go ahead and put green day in. but there are about 2000 bands I'd rather see get in.

• Like 1

american idiot is a shitty shitty record, make no mistake, but for a concept album about why george w bush sucks to become THAT popular, not only with critics but with school children and regular joes too? when's the last time a concept album was that big? the wall? I mean, as lame as it is, american idiot is probably the last rock album kids will ever go and buy en masse like that. plus, they've influenced a bunch of huge bands. shitty bands yeah, but green day have certainly made their mark.

I don't really think they are deserving of the hall considering all the omissions, but in a perfect world where all the deserving 60s/70s/80s bands have already been added to the hall, well, go ahead and put green day in. but there are about 2000 bands I'd rather see get in.

The real question is:

Is 21st Century Breakdown a 2000s album or a 2010 album? ;)

• Like 1

:facepalm: why bring politics in to this? :eh:

Maybe because that's why critics love Green Day? And because Obama and Carter won Nobel Prizes for basically criticizing Bush? Obama won his after being in office less than a year and Carter won his in 2002 after criticizing America's response to September 11, but more than 20 years after he left office. Do you see the connection?

Ok I can see your point about American Idiot, it was a criticism of Bush (who deserved all the criticism he got and then some) but to make the jump to Nobel Peace Prizes given to Obama and Carter seems like a bit of a reach. :eh: The Nobel committee and the RRHOF committee are not colluding together to pick on Bush, there is no correlation between the two. I don't think that connection is relevant here, IMHO

Green Day deserve this induction.

Sometimes, guys, we need to look past our own personal tastes and accept other bands and their influence deserves recognition as well.

• Like 1

Sometimes, guys, we need to look past our own personal tastes and accept other bands and their influence deserves recognition as well.

As you can see on TRF, that is always up for discussion, I admire your attitude though ;)

As you can see on TRF, that is always up for discussion, I admire your attitude though ;)

Don't get me wrong though, Deep Purple and Yes deserve it more, but I think newer artists such as Green Day deserve attention.

Pop punk is a very important genre as well, not everyone has the capacity to enjoy prog or metal!

Don't get me wrong though, Deep Purple and Yes deserve it more, but I think newer artists such as Green Day deserve attention.

Pop punk is a very important genre as well, not everyone has the capacity to enjoy prog or metal!

I agree. I also think some pop rock bands of 80s also should be considered, like The Smiths, etc. I know there are some in there that played at that time (REM, The Talking Heads) but I think some others should be considered. The really fun part is that since the metrics arent clear, its makes for a fun debate.

The real question is, when will Chic stop being nominated :)

• Like 1

Green Day! First ballot! :laughing guy: :LOL: :rfl: :LMAO:

A farce. Pure farce. I realize they are one of the better commercially successful punk bands. But this is pure fodder and shows how ridiculous the hall is.

As Alex would say....blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah.

I agree. For example, I'm not a fan of Duran Duran or Bon Jovi, but feel both should be considered.

I agree. For example, I'm not a fan of Duran Duran or Bon Jovi, but feel both should be considered.

Exactly.

I think it great that all forms of rock have been noticed, as well as more iconic pop stars.

So many greats not yet inducted...it keeps us on our toes!

I love how those who say they don't care about the RRHOF are always the ones with the most heated opinions!

I would be really happy to see No Doubt, Yes, Jimmy Eat World, and The Smiths all nominated again (obviously ND amd JEW are not currently applicable).

Miles Davis would be a good idea as well...so much of his work left a huge impression on progressive rock music (just listen to Relayer).

Yeah, someone who had people killed for a pointless war with his evil sidekick as VP and sat on his ass during Katrina. That's a deserving laureate.

http://weknowmemes.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/oh-wait-youre-serious-let-me-laugh-even-harder.jpg

Thanks for reminding me why I NEVER post on the politics board. I see enough crap on IMDB and Facebook. BTW, I find Obama a mixed bag and hate both parties since I'm a green party convert anyways so don't even think of labeling me a "kool aid drinking Obama worshipping lib." He lost my support when he flip flopped on food labeling. DINO Sillary is pathetic as well.

Yeah. Not really a relevant response. Bush hasn't won something like a Nobel prize. Green Day, who stink and don't deserve HoF induction, got in for the same reason a man who had been president for 3 months when Nobel votes were cast, and another man who's presidency is shorthand for failure, won awards. I'm glad you're not a member of a major party though. Because I care one way or another.

Or maybe not really a relevant discussion? You guys are just using Green Day as an excuse for going off on your political positions... :zzz:

The discussion should have begun and ended with: "Their critique of Bush helped their popularity and in on RRHoF"

You're asking for way too much there.

Aww.

Well i am only asking for what i can already do myself.

Not a Queen or Rolling Stone fans. But i admit they deserve the love they get 100%.

The funniest aspect of the hall is they're supposed willingness to let different genres of Rock music in, not just the standard 4 piece guitar, bass, drum , vocal variety. But they have ignored Metal and Prog. Thier bias is so fuckiin obvious.