17 - Best Song From Vapor Trails

RushRevisited

What do you think is the best song from this album?  

1091 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think is the best song from this album?

• One Little Victory
    • Ceiling Unlimited
    • Ghost Rider
    • Peaceable Kingdom
    • Stars Look Down
    • How It Is
    • Vapor Trail
    • Secret Touch
    • Earthshine
    • Sweet Miracle
    • Nocturne
    • Freeze
    • Out of the Cradle

QUOTE (Snowman @ Dec 16 2006, 03:44 AM)
Another Rush album suffering from bad sound.  angry.gif  I've read that many people doesnt like this album. That is just because they are too lazy to listen to the quality of the songs. There are NO FILLERS on VT!  1022.gif

But the sound....... wacko.gif

Agreed. I like absolutely every song on the album. I think it's probably their best album since Grace Under Pressure, as far as the compositions and lyrics go. I think overall this album may have Neil's best lyrics ever, and I really like the chances Geddy and Alex took with the roles of bass and guitar in the arrangements.

But the sound is horrible. I realized the other night as I was listening to it on the stereo for the first time in a long time that it actually does sound better through speakers than headphones. But the sound is still saturated, muddy and distorted. So disappointing.

I really don't understand what happened. Wasn't the album produced (or at least co-produced) by Paul Northfield? His work with Porcupine Tree is superb.

A couple of specific issues I have:

1. Multi-multi-multi-tracked guitars sound muddy and occasionally saturate the signal.

2. Geddy's multi-tracked vocals could have been a cool replacement for synths but because of the way they're recorded and mixed they end up sounding very shrill and grating.

I've tried setting up various EQ settings in iTunes to try to improve the sound, and I have made it marginally better, but there's only so much EQ can do.

It's interesting to hear these songs live on Rush in Rio. You realize that for the first time, the band didn't record the album with consideration for how they could play the songs live. But I actually think the stripped-down sound of the songs in their live versions works much better. (And, of course, the live mix is cleaner... which is a strange statement in itself.)

Edited by Room 34

One Little Victory

Ceiling Unlimited

Peaceable Kingdom

Stars Look Down

Earthshine

Secret Touch

Out of the Cradle

I'm having difficulties separating my favourites Earthshine and Ghost Rider. Ghost Rider was the first song that stood out but later I realised that Earthshine was a masterpiece.

Earthshine it is. Followed by Ghost Rider, Sweet Miracle and Vapor Trail.

Some might laugh, but I was playing W.O.W. around the time I bought Vapor Trails, so I created a female Tauren druid character and called her "Earthshine". smile.gif

"Secret Touch" and "Earthshine" pack a powerful one-two punch, coming back-to-back as they do.

"Ceiling Unlimited" is probably my third favorite.

With the new album coming soon, I'm listening to VT again in preparation; it's in the car CD player right now.

Edited by GeddyRulz

This has been one of my favourite albums, With very personal lyrics, The song that stood out the most for me is 'Peaceable Kingdom.' Now that i've voted for that i want to vote for

Earthshine

Secret Touch

Vapor trails

Freeze

Nocturne

rofl3.gif

When I first got Vapor Trails, I was running all over the house as I was passively listening to it. Then I heard Nocturne, and stopped what I was doing and planted myself in front of the stereo. That is one hell of a tune. OLV is awfully good too.

ALL of them!! This album has grown on me SO much, I play it start to finish everyday while jogging. "How It Is" is a very special song to me, as are "Vapor Trail", "Sweet Miracle", and "Nocturne", "The Stars Look Down", "Secret Touch, "Freeze" aw hell the whole album is perfect, from start to finish, all the way. I'll never understand the bashers, so what? the sound isn't perfect oooooo

All that said I voted for "Vapor Trail"